• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Datejust two tone 16013

automatico

Getting To Know The Place
5/10/11
"One last issue that I am having is that unfortunately there is not enough space for the caseback to properly clear the rotor. I did some dremel action again but I'm not sure I have solved the issue. Also the 3135 is fairly silent movement, so sometimes it is a bit hard to gauge if it is spinning or not."

Rotor clearance can be checked by rolling out a very small ball or string of 'Rodico' and placing it on the rotor.
Start the case back and turn it down about half way.
Unscrew the back and check the Rodico ball or string to see if it is flattened out, and if it is, see how much of the initial thickness is left.
If the ball/string is Ok, or just barely flattened, replace the back and screw it down gently until it contacts the case.
Remove the CB and check the ball/string again. The thickness of the ball/string after the back has been screwed all the way down will tell how much room there is between the rotor and case back.

It is a good idea to remove the case back gasket when doing this test so the back can go all the way down against the case.
If the Rodico ball/string is too thick, it can damage the rotor bearings or jewel when the back is screwed down, so start out with a very small ball or string of Rodico.
The rotor may clear the case back in the center and drag on the outer edge (or the other way around), so check clearance at the center and outer edge of the rotor.

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
This is a great write-up, thaks.
Any final thoughts on the VS3135 in a 2824 Raffles case - especially with the Rotor-hit. What was the final solution - a thicker case gasket or somesuch?

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hello and thank you all for your interest in my project.
The watch was built for a relative and it recently came back into my possession because of the aforementioned rotor problem.
I'm not yet sure how to solve the issue, it will be either a flat gasket or more grinding work.
I'll keep y'all posted when I make progress.
Cheers

Reactions: 316lad

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
Brilliant! It's such a shame - it must be a tiny amount that the interference between rotor and caseback - yet, it's the difference between success and failure.
Is your dial absolutely flat?

Reactions: joeyc

freebalkany

24/8/21
Hey there,
I finally found a way to let the rotor spin freely.
The person for whom I built that watch wanted a clear caseback. So I bought the one from the raffles, removed the glass & gasket, and dremeled the inside. It seems to be working for now, but the clearance is very tight.
In the future I'd like to buy and use and mini-lathe for such job.

Cheers

giphy.gif

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
Hey there,
I finally found a way to let the rotor spin freely.
The person for whom I built that watch wanted a clear caseback. So I bought the one from the raffles, removed the glass & gasket, and dremeled the inside. It seems to be working for now, but the clearance is very tight.
In the future I'd like to buy and use and mini-lathe for such job.

Cheers

giphy.gif
Looks good.
Dremmelled the inside of what?

Globemaster_98

Untitled.
20/3/18
Hello there,
hopefully y'all cool with my spamming.
So today, I widened the aperture of the rehaut. Somehow the dremel went much faster than I expected and I might have removed too much material.
I also received a crystal gasket that works perfectly as movement holder. Everything seems to be fitting fine. The stem is properly aligned.
Unfortunately for me it's a bit difficult to tell if the rotor is spinning freely or not because it's completely silent.

I'm adding some pictures as well as the reference for the gasket.
Cheers

z6UvHp.jpg

z6UsEb.jpg

z6UMti.jpg

z6U4eX.jpg

Hello there,
hopefully y'all cool with my spamming.
So today, I widened the aperture of the rehaut. Somehow the dremel went much faster than I expected and I might have removed too much material.
I also received a crystal gasket that works perfectly as movement holder. Everything seems to be fitting fine. The stem is properly aligned.
Unfortunately for me it's a bit difficult to tell if the rotor is spinning freely or not because it's completely silent.

I'm adding some pictures as well as the reference for the gasket.
Cheers

z6UvHp.jpg

z6UsEb.jpg

z6UMti.jpg

z6U4eX.jpg
Very nice!!! Do you have a link for the crystal gasket used as a movement spacer? That build looks fantastic!

qjai89

28/1/24
Hey @Niko1U ,
I bought the movement on Aliexpress https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005003392374501.html
To my understanding, this a VS3135. The quality is very good.

On another note, I received the crystal today from Sternkreuz. It seems to fitting just fine.
I did a quick test fit and I think I might have broken one of the lume pip on the dial. So yeah, tolerance is very tight, be careful!

znidJ2.jpg

zniXdt.jpg
Hey which sternkreuz crystal is this? Planning to press an acrylic crystal to my 2824 case as well. Thanks!

intellects

31/10/22
Thank you. I also plan on using a genuine engine turned bezel. Would you say one of those two crystals is the better or are they the same?

intellects

31/10/22
Thank you, I just ordered the top one after cracking a Sternkreuz. I think some remnants of the original Raffles crystal was still on the case. Hoping the next one goes better..