• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex buys Bucherer

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
thats not my intention :( i dont have any friends and finally have some free time rn, so im just trynna chat and be involved
Let's give you the benefit of doubt 😉
If you want to chat, then chat. One liners are not chat.

You watched a Teddy vid...noone cares about that.
Instead, give us your thoughts about the Bucherer acquisition.

And also, let's make a bet. You do no sales listing for the next 3 months. 😁

Radirka

Supporter
Certified
17/5/22
Old Continent
Since the market is at a low point, grey market dealers are not knocking on a back door of ADs to buy out more stock and are more focused to move their own so the watches at ADs are available to the "real" buyer hence so many calls. I don't own a Rolex, probably never will because it represents all the wrong things for me but I was at AD's because of issues with the Tudor, saw some models in the window and true, most were not available for purchase (some already waited for their owners to pick them up and some had to be there for the show) but I could buy a 126720. And frankly, if I had that money on hand that I could spare, I would, just as an investment, but it's probably safer elsewhere.

braqueboots

M B & F
30/7/23
US
Since the market is at a low point, grey market dealers are not knocking on a back door of ADs to buy out more stock and are more focused to move their own so the watches at ADs are available to the "real" buyer hence so many calls. I don't own a Rolex, probably never will because it represents all the wrong things for me but I was at AD's because of issues with the Tudor, saw some models in the window and true, most were not available for purchase (some already waited for their owners to pick them up and some had to be there for the show) but I could buy a 126720. And frankly, if I had that money on hand that I could spare, I would, just as an investment, but it's probably safer elsewhere.
ya so basically buying a rolex is harder now

Maxcacciatori

I'm something of a collector myself
23/4/23
Europe
Do you think that Swatch Group may do a similar move, maybe with Watches of Switzerland?

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
thats not my intention :( i dont have any friends and finally have some free time rn, so im just trynna chat and be involved
Come Let Me Love You GIF

Alright, alright.... But please involve yourself with more than just one-liners, mmmmkay?

ya so basically buying a rolex is harder now
Homer Simpson GIF

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Seen the news yesterday and thought to myself:
“Well, hopefully, they won’t replicate the customer experience from the Geneva boutique inside of Bucherer.”

Thoughts currently rattling around my pumpkin:

It's essentially against the brand's ethos, but since it is a proven concept by others (AP, PP, Hermes, etc.), it makes sense to some extent.
The decades-long partnership between the brands and the personal relationships there, made it probably much easier and more pleasant to shake on a deal, plus the now burning question of “whats next after I'm gone” contributed heavily I would think.

The grey market, which was left alone and thriving for years, but we knew its end was coming as soon as RLX announced its pre-owned certified program, is going to go back to where it was 10-15 years ago, with the notable exception of volume.
The interest now is much much higher than it used to be, especially among the younger generations, but then again there's the question of authentic interest and a speculatory one. My sober guess is about 60% of that volume is speculatory, but hey, +40% over a decade, when your average RSP is around €12k is pretty good.

It won’t deter every grey, self-proclaimed expert Ferrari driving private jet flying dealer scumbag, but my (maybe slightly too optimistic) opinion is, that it will ruin enough of them to make RLX collecting (in GEN) make sense again, even tho with a slightly higher price tag, due to the brand's price increases.

One could argue, that the reason tons more people are now interested in horology, watchmaking, or just collecting or the industry in general from a journalist's point of view, was because of these dealers that generate clickbait headlines somewhere every waking day for years. Not to mention video, audio and written content. Theres multiple companies built on that very business model ffs 😂
Sure it came with the BS that it came with, but it seems it's just a short dark period in watchmaking, thats being dealt with long term. Kinda like the Quartz crisis, although with much less umpf and implications than that one lol.

TL;DR: In the long run, it's a good thing for both RLX and its consumers, I think. The positives still outweigh the negatives from my perspective.

Tim4682

Certified
27/10/13
NC, USA
Here's an interesting take on the Bucherer / Rolex deal:

He shared the same beliefs from my original post re there not being another logical buyer given the customer concentration (he estimated Rolex was a larger part of the business than I had). It was definitely a tricky situation for him trying to exit.

He did have an interesting take on Rolex using this acquisiton as a way to drive growth that I hadnt contemplated. Given how saturated Rolex is in the market, and their dominant share, it stands to reason that buying Bucherer is a very low risk way to drive growth (even if its via retail). I just have a very negatively skewed view towards retail as a business (see all the retailers going bankrupt regularly lol) that clouded my view a bit….Ultra luxury retail is an entirely different animal and I should have factored that in.

Always worthwhile hearing others opinions. Appreciate you sharing.

PS I recently got a PAM1175 Bucherer blue, so I guess I should thank him for having that PAM made so I could buy the rep LOL

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
The more I read about it, the more I believe that this deal has been cooking for years. It did not just happen.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Nobody's considering the perverse pleasure of Rolex now being able to make profit on Omega, AP, etc. Pieces.
@Feefo I think I am going to go gen on the 36mm if I can find it at Bucherer. Maybe next year.

The prices are falling to acceptable levels.

plus the wife can also wear the 36, so domestic peace

Last edited:
Reactions: Feefo

Maxcacciatori

I'm something of a collector myself
23/4/23
Europe
Nobody's considering the perverse pleasure of Rolex now being able to make profit on Omega, AP, etc. Pieces.
What if Swatch Group buys Watches of Switzerland and therefore it makes profit selling Rolex and Tudor?

Fabulously

Supporter
Certified
13/11/17
Lalaland
What if Swatch Group buys Watches of Switzerland and therefore it makes profit selling Rolex and Tudor?

I doubt that this will happen - and from the sheer volumes, it will be a different ballgame. Bucherer is very much important for all brands. Any other store/chain or niche AD is less important for Rolex.

It’s also interesting to see how the margins must have developed: 6 years ago one could order a Datejust and get 5% off the retail price at an AD. Today: very different story.

With Omega on the other hand, you can buy brand new for 15-20% off…

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA

I did actually, as did Bark & Jack for example, but I think that it won't stay the wide range forever, so the profit opportunities are going to go down somewhat I would think.

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
I think other brands may pull out of Bucherer. Not now, but perhaps in the long-run...

When for example we say Omega, we have to consider Omega ain't really Omega.

Omega is actually Swatch Group, the second biggest player after Rolex. And I can see the execs at Swatch already discussing pulling all of their +5k brands out of Bucherer and buying another large retailer to emulate the Rolex deal. That's a possibility now.

Feefo

Holding the eject button
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
@Feefo I think I am going to go gen on the 36mm if I can find it at Bucherer. Maybe next year.

The prices are falling to acceptable levels.

plus the wife can also wear the 36, so domestic peace
Put me on the list with you.

Feefo

Holding the eject button
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I did actually, as did Bark & Jack for example, but I think that it won't stay the wide range forever, so the profit opportunities are going to go down somewhat I would think.
Yes, I'm also curious to see how that develops.

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
I think other brands may pull out of Bucherer. Not now, but perhaps in the long-run...

When for example we say Omega, we have to consider Omega ain't really Omega.

Omega is actually Swatch Group, the second biggest player after Rolex. And I can see the execs at Swatch already discussing pulling all of their +5k brands out of Bucherer and buying another large retailer to emulate the Rolex deal. That's a possibility now.

So... A week ago, the Swatch spokesperson stated that they officially welcomed the Bucherer deal. They seem to actually welcome my ass instead. 😂

Swiss Handelszeitung is quoting an insider in an article from yesterday (I marked the quote yellow, at the bottom) with what seems to be how Nick Hayek really feels..

Apparently I was not that far off with my comment (that I made while unaware of the Hayek quote) about what's going on at SG's management level...

Screenshot-20230902-205946-Free-Adblocker-Browser-2.jpg