• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex buys Bucherer

Tim4682

Supporter
Certified
27/10/13
NC, USA
I think it's important to keep in mind that they apparently found different ways of making things work. Each time I'm in Switzerland, I don't get the impression that the government there needs any taxes from Rolex.

Yeah, absolutely. The US has the best medical system in terms of technology, science and medical training. But the financial side is rotten to the core, I think. It's way too expensive. If you somehow struggle, despite 3 jobs, and you still don't get access to decent health care, then there's something going wrong in America. As difficult as health care in Europe can be sometimes, especially on the public plans, at least everyone here has access to basic care and nobody has to file for bankruptcy if they suddenly need cancer treatment.
The US medical system is a fucking disaster… everything is way too expensive for normal people, yet the healthcare industry as a whole is the most distressed industry right now (ie filing for bankruptcy). They cant make any money to the point theyre going bankrupt ( small snippet below), yet people cant afford healthcare…its perverse.

That said…Im Portuguese and my family members in Portugal always travel here to the US for treatment for anything major because they dont trust the nationalized healthcare there. At the end of the day, we have the best, no question (a doctor here gets paid 5-10x what they would make elsewhere so it is what it is).…just a matter of navigating the absurd insurance system and/or paying out of pocket when necessary.

As far as the Swiss and Rolex being “not for profit”…all you have to do to be “not for profit” is not make a profit lol.

Sooooo as an example I own Rolex…i pay myself every penny of profit as a “salary” and at the end of the year theres no profit lol…so Im a Nonprofit ( after I pay myself and my entire family a massive nut as “employees”). Just a scam to not pay taxes and the swiss economy is entirely built on allowing foreigners and corporations to not pay taxes lol (unless youre a resident…then you pay 60%+)

Reactions: eBoy

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
I'm wondering if they continue to gobble up companies- especially Swiss companies- will the Swiss government reexamine the Wilsdorf Foundation and it's tax free status ..
Was literally pondering the same thing today, while smashing a pile of oyster shells. Perfect timing Id say, as the thought-train generated some amounts of steam and pressure in my neck-globus and the hammer and various other heavy metal objects provided with a welcome relief.
Not that Im suggesting anything to anyone... :D

• Haha
Reactions: eBoy and Karbon74

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
I wish that anyone who says that this deal will be positive for the customers, or at least that the positives will outweigh the negatives, are right.

But being the pessimist that I am, I can't help and doubt it. I mean, since when has it been a goal of capitalism to selflessly help the consumers and not to just increase revenues & profits? I think the latter is what this is all aimed at. I have no illusion about what is behind this deal. 👀

And who pays for more revenue and profits (no pun intended)? We, the sheeple are the ones who willingly pay for it... And not only that, we even wait years and years and play along with their silly games of 'building a relationship' for the AD to finally, graciously accept our hard earned $$$ for an overpriced mediocre product. Rolex knows this and they can't wait to finally get full control over this madness and maximize the racket even further. 🤣

I never said "help customers", let alone selflessly :)

Of course they want the grey market for themselves, of course their objective is increased profits, among other things, but having a dedicated premium retailer with a century of history under their belt lets them control the flow of their product much better to the end consumer.
Meaning, after they go through the inevitable gutting, restructuring and negotiations with other groups that supply Bucherer currently, its very likely that Rolex buyers will have more inventory to buy.

Someone mentioned Hermes and their quite clear cut and transparent process and the lack of negative feedback the brand has because of it.

Very similar process is used by AP. As a customer you know you have to go through the "vetting" process, you know who will be looking at your application to buy a certain model and you have an idea about the criteria. At least you should know all those things, if you are serious AP buyer, which in turn means you have a boutique relationship and your sales rep communicates these things with you transparently.
No guarrantees, but you as a customer have a chance to understand the process and decide if its worth it to you personally.

I would love to see this develop with Rolex, at least in the Bucherer network.
I might even imagine them lining up the pressure in such a way, that flagship stores (i.e. Bucherer) will adopt a clearer procedure (which you can do once you own the retail) and that alone will suck customers from other ADs in the long run.

Reactions: Karbon74

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
@Procurator Like I said, I hope that the bottom line of this deal will be in the plus for the customers, and not only for Rolex. My pessimistic nature just keeps me from believing it until I see it. But "hope dies last", as they say. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: Procurator

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Interestingly Bucherer Paris has added new brands on retail

I'm willing to bet actual money that none of those brands are overseen by Mr. Hayek, aka Mr Swatch Group.

Are they? 😆

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Breitling, Franck Muller, Grand Seiko et Czapek 😁

Told ya... This is not the end. There will be more to this story. Nobody puts those brands (no offense to GS, but let's be realistic — they have a market share of 0.000014% in Europe) on the line-up if there isn't something cooking in the background.

My guess is that Bucherer either already has a buh-bye letter from Swatch Group or expects one soon.

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
Bucherer and Rolex have been so tightly knit for so long I sort of forgot that they were not tied directly to the company in the first place.
I bought a lot of watches through them and was always amazed at their access to Rolex service parts and what not.

That being said, I do wonder about the multi brand aspect of the business and wonder how it will be impacted. Will other brands be downgraded or tossed? I also wonder if this will shake up the industry or piss of the EU regulators. Who knows.

Thankfully there are great reps to be had.