• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

RM001 V2 JB factory (update)

KilowattHour

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/4/19
Some observations on this watch that I haven't seen mentioned so far:
- Winding is smooth as butter. I don't think I've seen a winding this smooth or silent on any watch, even gen, much less a rep. Compared to other rep tourbillion watches, this movement has a totally different winding feel. I actually thought at first that the watch was broken, and that I wasn't winding it - that's how smooth it was.
- On one full wind, I'm already past the 76 hours, and there's still some reserve left. I think that, amazingly enough, this watch might run for the 92h, just as it's printed on the reserve gauge. Four days of PW is kind of crazy.
- The movement is way more silent than another rep tourby that I have. Maybe because the case here is a lot bigger and thicker. I pretty much have to take it next to my ear to hear it. Other one ticks fairly loudly.
- My amazement with this movement potentially extends if someone can confirm that it's running at 28800bph? To my ear, this watch appears to be ticking faster than another tourby movement that has a 6 ticks per second movement. Also tourbillion cage rotates very smoothly - smoother than I'm used on 6 ticks per second movements.
- One knock against this watch is that the double crystal setup it has can create some weird distorted reflections if the light falls on a direct straight angle onto it. This is either due to imperfect 2nd crystal that sits below the outside, curved one, or simply because two crystals create some kind of lens effect if the light falls just the right way. The result is that the distortion makes it seem almost like there's a sheet of wavy transparent plastic inside the watch. This is really only visible under that one angle only, and otherwise the transparency of both crystals is very impressive and allows you to appreciate all the layers of depth in the watch.
I wonder if I just had a bad luck with this 2nd crystal, or this is something other owners notice as well? I really didn't see it on any photos, but I doubt anyone would be taking photos of a watch when the light reflects from it right into the lens.

Last edited:

KilowattHour

18/4/19
Update: The watch has stopped running after 87-88 hours, after it was fully wound. Not quite reaching the 91h that would be what the power reserve gauge measures to, but still really impressive. This movement might be the most impressive rep movement I've ever seen.
Really nice looking tourbillion, long power reserve, PW indicator, fairly silent, smooth winding, smooth and precise time adjustment, very smoothly rotating tourbillion (if it's really 8 ticks/s, that's smoother than so many 100K+ gen watches that typically use 6 ticks/s movements).

I'm really curious if the overall look of this watch would improve if the under-glass with numbers printed on it would be removed. Yes, it would lose the numbers which give an extra layer of depth, but most RMs don't seem to have these numbers anyway. And by removing that glass, it would eliminate that secondary shimmery reflection that it has in some angles. I somewhat suspect this secondary glass pane is actually a plastic sheet.

Last edited:

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
And by removing that glass, it would eliminate that secondary shimmery reflection that it has in some angles. I somewhat suspect this secondary glass pane is actually a plastic sheet.

No way of putting AR on that i think...

KilowattHour

18/4/19
No way of putting AR on that i think...
That is probably true. But that second (inner) glass is very reflective compared to the main curved, outside one, and it's possible that the inner glass has no AR at all. Another weird thing I noticed about that inner glass is that when it reflects my monitor screen, I see nicely ordered gradient stripes from top to bottom. I've noticed that AR treated glass tends to create strange artifacts when it's reflecting the light from this monitor, but I've never seen anything like this. The main reason I think it might be plastic is because of how warped the reflections are in it when the light hits it dead-on (even though it's supposed to be perfectly flat), so it gives off an impressing that it's not really flat. Then again, if I look at it under the magnifying glass, I can't see any imperfections on it whatsoever - it really looks very nice and flat.

I hope that any other RM001 owner can chime in, and tell me if they see the same warped reflections in theirs - I'm mostly just curious if I got a substandard one.

You can see what I'm talking about on Andrew's video here: https://www.trustytime02.cc/index.ph...ducts_id=20340
if you look at 1:27 - 1:29 even though his is only reflecting a single straight line so the warping is not as pronounced as if you have something more elaborate being reflected.

Last edited:

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
That is probably true. But that second (inner) glass is very reflective compared to the main curved, outside one, and it's possible that the inner glass has no AR at all. Another weird thing I noticed about that inner glass is that when it reflects my monitor screen, I see nicely ordered gradient stripes from top to bottom. I've noticed that AR treated glass tends to create strange artifacts when it's reflecting the light from this monitor, but I've never seen anything like this. The main reason I think it might be plastic is because of how warped the reflections are in it when the light hits it dead-on (even though it's supposed to be perfectly flat), so it gives off an impressing that it's not really flat. Then again, if I look at it under the magnifying glass, I can't see any imperfections on it whatsoever - it really looks very nice and flat.

I hope that any other RM001 owner can chime in, and tell me if they see the same warped reflections in theirs - I'm mostly just curious if I got a substandard one.

You can see what I'm talking about on Andrew's video here: https://www.trustytime02.cc/index.ph...ducts_id=20340
if you look at 1:27 - 1:29 even though his is only reflecting a single straight line so the warping is not as pronounced as if you have something more elaborate being reflected.

Hmm i see what you mean. I dont think any RM001 can confirm if this is sapphire or just a plastic plate as no one wants to take theirs apart and might scratch something lol.

KilowattHour

18/4/19
Hmm i see what you mean. I dont think any RM001 can confirm if this is sapphire or just a plastic plate as no one wants to take theirs apart and might scratch something lol.
That middle glass, or whatever it is, appears to be super-thin for sure. It's basically invisible under most angles - it's only when the light reflects off of it directly into your eyes that this becomes visible. Some more observation of monitor screen reflections is showing that I can see the those gradient stripes, just much more faint, on the outside curved sapphire also. So they are probably a manifestation of AR coating when the polarized monitor backlight hits it. Meaning that the inner glass is also probably AR coated - so it probably is a very thin glass or sapphire, since I don't think AR coating can be applied on a plastic foil.
The warping probably comes from two differently shaped layers of glass sitting close to one another, when the light hits them on an extreme angle. I really wonder how the gen watch fares in this regard.

It would be interesting if someone skilled enough tries taking that inner sheet out. I don't think the watch would lose much on its beauty - in fact, it appears that all later RM watches have abandoned this dual layer sapphire construction as well.

Last edited:

KilowattHour

18/4/19
send it to rnrprof he will work his magic
Well I'm definitely not bothered by it enough to try it right now, and there is a cool aspect to floating numbers too. The watch is still new, and I'm enjoying it immensely.
I'm legitimately amazed with the movement, which - and I've 100% confirmed it now with a slow motion video, is a 28880bph / 4hz movement! How often is something like that ever seen even in 100K+ gen watches? Almost every one I can think of is using a 21600bph tourbillion movement. And it's noticeable - tourbillion moves so smoothly in this watch, that it's hard to see any jumps with a naked eye. This is not the case with slower ticking tourbys, where you can see it jumping.
And with that - more than 3.5 days (88h) power reserve! I wonder who makes this movement and where else it's used.

For reference, while I can't find the movement spec of gen RM-001, its successor, the RM-003 has 70h PR, and a 21600bph tourbillion movement.

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR8R

mrkt

Known Member
10/10/16
I have received three of these and will have it taken apart this week.

KilowattHour

18/4/19
I have received my straps for this watch that I've ordered from Aliexpress, as well as the screwdriver. Now I have to overcome the fear of the dust being trapped inside the watch as I remove the back plate to try and change the strap.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
I have received my straps for this watch that I've ordered from Aliexpress, as well as the screwdriver. Now I have to overcome the fear of the dust being trapped inside the watch as I remove the back plate to try and change the strap.

Go for it mate! Don't worry it'll be fine. I've opened a few watches too. I know the feeling hehe

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom

So?? Where are the pics? ????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

KilowattHour

18/4/19
So?? Where are the pics? ????
Sorry, I've been incredibly busy, and more than that, I'm not all that happy with the straps I've received compared to the one the watch came with. If it was trivial to replace them, I would have tried it already, but since it requires unscrewing of the back plate, and I'm worried that dust will go into the watch, I just don't know if it's worth it. The strap the watch came with is really high quality silicon that has absolutely no smell, and is very fine and smooth to touch. The straps I've received from Aliexpress... well the red silicon strap feels slightly more plasticy than the one that watch came with, and is'a kind of pale red color that I don't like very much. The fabric strap looks nice, but it has lining of some really terribly smelling plastic fake leather. I've been keeping it outside for all this time hoping the smell would eventually evaporate, but it still smells as bad as the day I got it.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Prepare 2 ziplocks : 1. With baking soda 2. With a strip of kitchen roll moist of your fav cologne

alternate between the two, 1 day you leave the strap into #1 the next day you zip it into #2

1 week and you should be good

Reactions: jm_brc_7057