• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review: VSF 1279 GMT Titan/Carbotech - simply beautiful

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
Disclaimer: The VSF 1279 presented here is closely related to the VSF 1096, for which I have already written a review . Case, bezel, and movement are the same. In this review, I will therefore focus on the differences and refer to the 1096 review for the similarities.

The 1279 is probably one of the most attractive models in the 2021 range. It combines a modern mix of materials with DLMS titanium and Carbotech and is very light, which suits the 42mm size well. At the same time, it has the extremely pretty blue sunburst dial, which Rep friends already know from some VSF models like the 1313. Unlike the 1096, the hurdles for VSF were not so great, since basic components such as the dial (albeit in a different size) and the movement were already available and VSF already had experience with the Carbotech cover and DLMS titanium cases.

The Gen​

1279 was presented at SIHH 2021 and with a size of 42mm is fully in line with the current marketing trend of Panerai, who want to serve the Asian market with smaller watches. And even as a die-hard fan of the brand, it has to be said that especially the light titanium models in 42mm are also very comfortable to wear for normal European wrists. The watch is limited to 500 pieces, so unfortunately there are very few pictures and reviews of this model on the web.

The Case​

See the 1096 review. The 1279 has the same case, only the caseback is different. In my opinion, VSF has done a very good job with the caseback. It's made of titanium, correctly engraved and looks on point. Interestingly, the caseback is - for whatever reason - slightly more curved than on the 1096, which is why the 1279, at 14.6mm, is 0.1mm thicker than the 1096 and 0.3mm thicker than the Gen, which is not a problem. There is also a small deduction here because the CG is dirty.

9/10​

Movement​

See the 1096 review.

9/10​

Hands, Date, CG​

VSF did a very good job with the Hands. The date window looks very good and the DW is also well done.

The CG is not so good. In addition to the dirt (see above), the entire surface looks somewhat darker than on the case and the Gen, and the structure is not so well worked out. Otherwise, the CG, Crown and Crown-Lever are of solid VSF quality. You will certainly find small flaws "under the microscope", but for me at least, they don't matter.

9/10​

Dial​

VSF has experience with the blue sandwich dial with sunburst effect. In my opinion, the dial is perfect and also reproduces the colour variety of the Gen-Dial very well - ranging from a dark midnight blue to a light blue in the sunburst.

10/10​

Strap​

The watch comes with a rep-aligator strap that is far too stiff. So if you buy the 1279, you'll be forced to buy a better aftermarket strap. But isn't that the case with every Pam Rep?

2/10​

Conclusion​

Unlike the 1096, the 1279 is convincing all along the line. If you are looking for a light 42mm Luminor, you can buy it without hesitation.

It will have a permanent place in my collection and will certainly get a lot of wrist time.

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
p.s.: The strap on the pictures is of course not the bad Rep-Strap but a older canvas strap from the Noob Fifty Fathoms ;-)
I have to look out for a better strap. 22mm is not the typical size, we "Paneristi" have in our drawers.

locvs

Supporter
Certified
7/12/20
Germany
Another great review. Probably the best rep out of the recent three VSF efforts. Won’t classify as a super rep, but on par, if not better then the 44mm subs that SB/VSF released a while back.

Reactions: JayBee0815

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
25/3/06
London
Jay, you have just cost me a few hundred bucks, thanks for the write up ;)

• Haha

CyborgCNC

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/6/18
Great Review...thank you for your time in putting this together....very informative!

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14
One just landed on my doorstep today, I agree, its bloody lovely little watch.. and there in lies the problem, little.. I'm used to the 47mm Subs so this maybe an adjustment I can't make, also the straps is pants, if I decide to keep it (its on loan) and not send it back, I'll have to invest in a decent strap but right now all flash money is being spent on golf...

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
One just landed on my doorstep today, I agree, its bloody lovely little watch.. and there in lies the problem, little.. I'm used to the 47mm Subs so this maybe an adjustment I can't make, also the straps is pants, if I decide to keep it (its on loan) and not send it back, I'll have to invest in a decent strap but right now all flash money is being spent on golf...
You are absolutely right. The biggest problem with the small new models is the strap size ;-)

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
25/3/06
London
I am trying some new straps today, I think the orange is a nice contrast, but I may stick with the woven blue.

Reactions: Snil

fparky

Looking Around
26/2/20
Just ordered one, thanks for the review. Where did you get the new straps from?

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
25/3/06
London
A few different Chinese sellers, sourced through Pandabuy.