• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review - Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 8 RS Grand Date GMT

nuxx31

Looking Around
8/5/09
Hi,

I'm pleased to propose you my first review: the Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 8 RS Grand Date GMT.

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

As I just said, this is my first review, all comments / corrections are welcome !

Seller
I bought that rep from Sarah, which gave me all the support I needed for this transaction: I actually bought the watch twice by mistake due to incorrect feedback from the banks. Sarah kindly informed me immediately about a possible mistake in the orders, and accepted to cancel one order and refund my credit card. Many thanks to her again !
This rep cost me less than USD150 including shipment.

Watch Functions
Let's start with the biggest difference with the gen: even if it is marked on the dial, this rep doesn't have the GMT function.
The small rotating disc at 6 is used for the seconds, which means this rep actually features a "dual second indication" since the thin hand also shows the seconds. Luckily, they look synchronized.
The crown has 2 positions: hand winding and hour settings. There is finally a small button in the case, at 10. I still haven't tried it, but I suspect it is used for the quick setting of the date. If someone can help me on that topic, i'll appreciate.
The date is given by 2 rotating discs (one for each digit). I'll confirm in 2 days if the date switches automatically from 31 to 01 as it is supposed to do.

Case / Bezel
Pretty nice work. As you should see on the picture, there is a mix of polished and brushed metal. It feels solid.

IMG_0660.jpg

Dial / Index / Hands / Date
The dial looks nice and includes all the markings you find on the gen. Of course, we get the usual "damn'it, it's not exactly the same !":
- the "swiss made" marking is at 9 on the rep, at 6 on the gen
- the font for the date is different, and not 100% well aligned
- the shape of the window for the date is more square on the rep
- the index at 5 and 7 are longer on the rep
- the markings on the rotating disc at 6 are different: seconds are used on the rep instead of hours on the gen for the GMT

The very small engraved rounds on the background are well marked.
I spotted some small marks on the index, but nothing you notice if you stand 1m from the watch.

The minutes and hours hands are lumed, as well as small square dots on the edge of the dial (between the metal index and the case). The small dots are not easily visible at night, only the hands remain visible. Globally, the lume remains quite low.

Back of Case
Very close to the gen. The movement is visible through 2 glass parts.
This only gives a small view of the movement.
Markings seem the same as on the gen.

IMG_0665.jpg

Movement
This watch is equipped with an Asian 21J movement. I did not make the 1 sec photo to check the speed of the movement, but we are definitely closer to 14400bph than to 28800bph.
This is mainly visible on the big seconds hand which is not moving very smoothly. It is less noticeable on the small rotating disk at 6 due to its size.
The rotor is engraved with the same markings as the gen, and they are correct ! (Some reps of the Calibre 6 model have rotors with "Calibre 8" engraved).
This is however the first watch I have which has a "noisy" rotor: I can really feel and hear when the rotor is turning. I don't know if this is something I should care about ?

Strap / Buckle
I chose a brown leather strap, as I found it was really a good match with the style of the dial.
The strap includes a deployant clasp that you can adjust without tools.
The clasp itself looks pretty nice, but it doesn't feel very tight when closed. I'll try to update my feedback after a few days...if I have not lost the watch.

IMG_0663.jpg

Compared to...
I was looking for a watch to wear with my brown suits when going to work. I wasn't looking for a sporty watch, rather for a smart looking one, but with a "young" design.
Before choosing the Calibre 8 model, I compared it with:
- the Tag Grand Carrera Calibre 6. The main difference is the small date at 3, and the seconds on the rotating disc at 6. I found the dial of the Calibre 6 a little "empty".
- the Tag Grand Carrera Calibre 17. Well, just the opposite: the dial of the Calibre 17 looked too "crowdy" to me. In my opinion, the Calibre 8 dial is the right balance between the Calibre 6 and the Calibre 17.
- the Breitling SuperOcean Heritage. I faced here a physical problem: my wrist is only 6,25"...the SOH is simply too big for me. But I must admit that this one is just beautiful, especially in Brown.

Conclusion
Considering the price I paid for this rep, I'm just perfectly satisfied.

Well, I think I've mentionned the main things. Feel free to send me any question about this watch, i'll do my best to answer you.

Cheers from France,

Nuxx31

watchman1

Renowned Member
21/11/06
I bought the same watch (except I choose the white dial). I agree with your review; it was dead on. I like the watch very much and plan to get another one (dark dial and ss bracelet)

geegee78

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/5/10
Small button in the case, at 10.

Anyone figure out what the small button at the 10 does?

I have just purchased this watch so it would be handy to know if it does reset the date.

tflgee

1/9/09
Anyone figure out what the small button at the 10 does?

I have just purchased this watch so it would be handy to know if it does reset the date.

I does set the date.

I have this watch too. It's quite a chunk of steel, especially with a steel bracelet. I like the watch but it's not very close to the gen. In fact it's miles different.

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
For a cheapie that looks pretty good

Bomba

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/08
Thank you very much for contributing. Pity the GMT doesn't work.

Anyone know, do any of the Rep Calibre 8's have working GMT?

geegee78

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/5/10
I does set the date.

I have this watch too. It's quite a chunk of steel, especially with a steel bracelet. I like the watch but it's not very close to the gen. In fact it's miles different.

How do change the date?

I have tried changing it by popping the crown out but it only changes the time so I have been able to change the date by winding the crown through several days of time but I do not want to have to do that every time I need to change the date.

Hopefully there is an easier way?

shandroid

Put Some Respect On My Name
13/9/10
Awesome contribution to the forum brother!!! nice watch too :)