• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review: TAG Carrera Day/Date

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
Review TAG Carrera Day/Date

After recently selling my gen Calibre6, I had to update the watchbox to show some TAG representation. A visit to the AD to see the Carrera oversized 43mm Day/Date wound up making me loony in love. I made a b-line back home to discuss with one of the dealers about getting one of these on its way to me. This is what came of it...

IMG_3827-Copy.jpg

The watch is extremely close to gen. Two major things stand out from the gen counterpart. The tip of the G in TAG is flat instead of arrow headed on the dial emblem, and the screws in the movement are blued on the rep. Personally, I like the blue screws, and the emblem doesn't bother me. These are so minor, the only people that would ever be able to call this watch out, have a membership here.

IMG_3828-Copy.jpg

IMG_3826-Copy.jpg

The fit and finish is remarkable. All of the numbers on my dial are perfectly lined up. The day/date wheel lines up perfect. My chrono needles all line up perfectly, straighter than the gen needles were on the watch at the AD!

The bracelet is sharp and needs overhaul, but the markings are craftsmanship is excellent. I wet sanded the inner surface edges, than used my bracelet rattle method to fix the feel.

link to my How-To: Bracelet Rattle Fix: http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/how-bracelet-rattle-fix-43340?t=43340

It is now smooth, soft and has that satin-like gen feel. Resizing the bracelet pins was easy. End links are decent, with an excellent fit between the lugs.
IMG_3811-Copy.jpg

IMG_3809-Copy.jpg

Lovely AR. The gen has strong blue AR, the rep looks spot on.
IMG_3808-Copy.jpg

Beautiful watch. Perfect size for just about anything. This thing has presence.
IMG_3800-Copy.jpg

Crown and pushers reproduced with the highest quality.
IMG_3803-Copy.jpg

Awesome feature, the ability to admire the beautiful 7750 movement. Rotor is correct to gen.
IMG_3804-Copy.jpg

IMG_3807-Copy.jpg

Black leather strap on the way to go with the deployant. I'll share some pics once the leather arrives.

Wears very comfortable. Nice height due to a perfect case thickness. 43mm feels just right on my ~7" wrist. The watch looks larger than 43mm due to the oversized dial/crystal against a less thick bezel.
CarreraWristy.jpg

chano79

Banned
19/1/09
Looks awesome, waiting for mine, where did you order the leather strap from?

P4GTR

Banned
9/9/07
Looks awesome, waiting for mine, where did you order the leather strap from?

I requested the deployant buckle with the watch, and the strap is coming from Ebay member Tango252. He sells TAG OEM replacement straps. Was recommended by Mickey Padge, i'll update/review once I receive it. :)

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
This review reminds me of the old school reviews more people did back in the day. Good observations and comments compared to gen. I especially like the fact your movement was better than the gen on reset. ;) I am ordering an Aquaracer very soon, I can't wait to do a review like this.

Thanks for the re-inspiration. :)

ochaves

30/9/09
Congrats for your watch. It looks really great.

Good review BTW.

Can I ask where did you but it?

This one is in my "next to buy" short list.

Regards,

P4GTR

Banned
9/9/07
Mary from Watchinternational, approved dealer on RWG2 and RWG1 reincarnated. Excellent QC, pics of watch sent prior to shipping, etc.

reeder139

14/4/09
Well done mate, a great watch and review. I am seriously considering this watch now. I love it.

beaker-king

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/4/09
Excellent review. I picked up a white dialed version (after seeing Mickey Padge's on RG) for my bro in law and it is a very impressive watch.
He has seen the gen in person and had the same observations except he didn't notice the emblem flaw. She's a keeper for sure.
Well done.

orfeo71

14/5/10
Nice watch indeed! I got mine from Mreplica a week ago and I Love it! and you are right I also made a trip to the AD first to check it out before buying and once I received the rep there were no doubts this watch is almost identical to the gen! as you have already mentioned the only "flaws" this watch has compare to the gen are minimal. Overall, this is a fantastic watch and I'm glad I got it!

Here is on pic
1002727u.jpg

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3821/1002727u.jpg

Breitest24

18/2/10
Looks fake....j/k D you know my thoughts on this bad boy from the minute you let me try it on you might as well have told me it was a gen. I wouldnt know any different. Nice pick up and to everyone else im first in line when he sells it.

countit

22/5/10
Awesome watch, Fellas!

I went to an AD yesterday to look at this one. I noticed something really weird. I went dead set on looking at the black dial thinking it was definitely the one for me. I have to admit I was a little disappointed.

With my watches, I like to see the numerals and markers on the watch face. I'm not sure if it was the lighting, but the number markers completely disappeared in the black face of the gen. The confusing part are the pictures in this review... The numerals all show up perfectly in your pics! Very odd.

Also, quick question about the chrono function. Do the hands in the subdial "click" to the next indicator when the seconds hand reaches zero, or do they move gradually as the seconds hand progresses around the face?

As you can see, I'm looking really hard at this watch as my FIRST REP!!!

~countit

P4GTR

Banned
9/9/07
Looks fake....j/k D you know my thoughts on this bad boy from the minute you let me try it on you might as well have told me it was a gen. I wouldnt know any different. Nice pick up and to everyone else im first in line when he sells it.

Thanks buddy. This one isn't going anywhere besides my watchbox or wrist :)

Awesome watch, Fellas!

I went to an AD yesterday to look at this one. I noticed something really weird. I went dead set on looking at the black dial thinking it was definitely the one for me. I have to admit I was a little disappointed.

With my watches, I like to see the numerals and markers on the watch face. I'm not sure if it was the lighting, but the number markers completely disappeared in the black face of the gen. The confusing part are the pictures in this review... The numerals all show up perfectly in your pics! Very odd.

Also, quick question about the chrono function. Do the hands in the subdial "click" to the next indicator when the seconds hand reaches zero, or do they move gradually as the seconds hand progresses around the face?

As you can see, I'm looking really hard at this watch as my FIRST REP!!!

~countit

The hour markers do fire under the right light. You could look at a white faced version, just keep in mind there are more inaccuracies with the white dial. Everyone has different taste, maybe this one's just not for you.

The subdial hands work just like they should on a 7750 be it rep or gen. They sort've get a slow momentum going a wee bit before 12, then snap forward to the next position as it counts.

countit

22/5/10
@P4GTR

Thanks for the reply! I definitely still think the watch is for me. Some reports are that the Day/Date is not a full 43mm as reported on the trusted dealer sites. What have you found? Is the watch a little smaller than 43mm? (Which would be perfectly fine for me!)

P4GTR

Banned
9/9/07
I just measured it by hand. 43mm. If anything was fractionally off, I'd say its leaning towards 44.

The hour markers are rounded, not flat. So the reflection they give off is that of a shadowed number. That could be why they seem dark-ish. The entire number is not reflecting at any given time. Pretty cool looking, but I'm biased, I love this piece.

pdizzle

3/7/10
Awesome review, awesome watch. It's now on my short list as well.

countit

22/5/10
I just measured it by hand. 43mm. If anything was fractionally off, I'd say its leaning towards 44.

The hour markers are rounded, not flat. So the reflection they give off is that of a shadowed number. That could be why they seem dark-ish. The entire number is not reflecting at any given time. Pretty cool looking, but I'm biased, I love this piece.

Thank you for the measurement! I like it too. GREAT watch!

lawbhoy

Horology Curious
19/7/09
This is a great review of a great watch. I bought one at the end of May and absolutely love it. Was gutted when i noticed the 0 marker at the the 10 position had came free and is now floating around the dial. I am a total noob and am fearful of opening the watch up despite being advised its an easy fix. Presently trying to find a local watchsmith who is prepared to work on reps failing which the dealer has no problem with me sending it back for repair. Cant wait to get it fixed and back on my wrist, as i have said- a great watch!

bluesteel

31/12/09
Nice looking watch. I'm glad to hear that it's very close to gen. I tried it on today at AD and it instantly had presence. I was a bit shocked because previously I was on the fence about this style. The one I tried on had a leather strap and looked great. I was wearing a suit and tie today and it looked great peeking out from under my dress shirt. I'm sure it looks great with a casual shirt as well. Definitely on my short list! Thanks for the review!