• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review: Superfranken Datejust ref. 16030 built by BabaNJ

vanwolff

Renowned Member
Certified
21/12/15
Germany
Dear Members, Dear Friends,

a few weeks ago I have acquired this beautiful SuperFranken Datejust ref. 16030 built by BabaNJ. As fellow members from the EU know, buying and shipping watches from the USA (or other non-EU countries) to Europe can prove to be quite a risky undertaking. With the following review I want to celebrate the arrival of this stunning build and give a big thank you to both BabaNJ for the build itself and for the effort of shipping the Datejust to the EU, as well as to RepPossessed for forwarding the watch via the UK to my homeland of Germany. You guys are awesome!

Although I have had the pleasure to own many vintage builds in the past, this particular piece is the first to have such a vast amount of genuine parts:

Gen 16014 case serial number, starting with 55xxxxx
Gen 16000 caseback
Gen crystal
Gen engine turned bezel (this makes it a 16030)
Gen crown and crown tube
Gen bracelet with gen endlinks
Gen linen dial

As you can see, except for the date wheel and the hands, all exterior parts are genuine. The watch runs on a nice Swiss ETA 2824.
With that said, let's move on to what we all love most: the eye-candy.

The 16030 is an extremely versatile model that also works nicely on a leather strap. Here you can see it on a dark brown vintage-style Buland and Sons leather strap. I mostly use curved spring bars (even with straight-end straps, if possible) to move the strap further away from the case, as I find the gap between strap and case to flatter the oyster case.

This watch also is a nice addition to my "vintage franken family", consisting of a cartel based gen-dialed tritium bicchierini 5513 Submariner and a tapestry dial 16233 Datejust.

Although I am a self-proclaimed serial watch flipper, this DJ is not going to leave me soon and I am very positive that it will maintain a firm place within my core collection!

Thank you for reading and viewing,
VanWolff

Last edited:
Reactions: RepPossessed

Alex1975

Renowned Member
12/11/15
vanwolff Stunning piece Sir. I have an extremely similar Franken linen DJ & a TT as well, so I guess we have similar tastes.

Your 5513 is a grail piece for me with that particular dial, I have asked tripdog whether he can help in that regard so I hope one day my family will be as complete as yours!

All the best!

lorenzo1910

I'm Pretty Popular
12/2/18
Tuscany - Italy
vanwolff Excellent piece... I'm really envious... Enjoy it!
RepPossessed How it works the forwarding from nonEU>UK>EU (Italy in my case)? May you explain? I've passed on too much items 'cause they were in the US...
(BTW The Explorer I that I bought from you in Exile is very nice and is running strong... many thanks again!)

Reactions: RepPossessed

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
Thanks for bringing it into the EU. I was craving this one with a passion. Looks fantastic.

mrroeyl

Known Member
12/3/14
Love how the dial seems to change colors in different lighting. I've been on the hunt for a creamy white/silver dial for mine but may need to start looking for a linen like this. Cheers OP

Dan71

Renowned Member
24/4/15
Italy
vanwolff Excellent piece... I'm really envious... Enjoy it!
RepPossessed How it works the forwarding from nonEU>UK>EU (Italy in my case)? May you explain? I've passed on too much items 'cause they were in the US...
(BTW The Explorer I that I bought from you in Exile is very nice and is running strong... many thanks again!)

I know that there is this service http://borderlinx.com/ but I’m not try it ...
They give you and address in uk , you give it to the seller , the item go from the seller to uk, and than from uk to you..

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
I love the franken datejusts. They are such iconic and beautiful watches. Love your collection. I need to make myself a two tone datejust or sub someday. That’s one thing I don’t have.