• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review: Rolex GZ "Special"

no_one

5/4/08
My daughter's boyfriend just returned from a trip to China. Apparently (who knew?) his grandfather owns the major portion of a town just outside GZ.

Knowing my passion for watches, he bargained hard! "Real Rolex, spesha fo u, 60 dollah!", got him down to 20 and the deal was done.

In the end, he was very proud to bring me back this...

GZ1.jpg

Dial - The dial is, well, um, REALLY accurate for this model.
Lume - I'm sure there's some there. The hands kinda glow for a minute or two.
Case - It appears to be a regular datejust case.
Crystal - Surprisingly, a sapphire crystal with the way over-etched crown at 6.
Bracelet - Fairly sturdy bracelet, hollow end links that have spot-welded metal studs that hold the springbars. Solid mid links. Nice clasp.

GZ2.jpg

Movement - Haven't cracked it open yet, but I know there's one in there. And believe it or not it only loses about 12 minutes a day.
Case Back - Display case back, just like the original. Now you can all figure out the model. It says right on there. It's the Deville.

GZ3.jpg

And of course, the wrist shot...

GZ4.jpg

Conclusions - I hate to say it but, I kinda like this thing. It's waterproof (I wore it swimming with no problem). It's not something I'm too worried about ruining. And it's just plain fun.

Exploder

I'm Pretty Popular
23/3/08
Fantastic timepiece! Skeleton (sort of) Rolexes are rare...

Xplodr

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
Sweet watch.. the Rolex Deville must be a rare model as ive never seen one... is that a working Tourbillon showing through the dial?

lol
It was a nice jesture for him to hunt down that watch for you regardless

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
What a nice effort on his part. The problem is now you are going to have to wear it around him so he does not feel bad. :D

no_one

5/4/08
brtelec said:
What a nice effort on his part. The problem is now you are going to have to wear it around him so he does not feel bad. :D

Actually, we're 'twins' now. He got one just like it for himself. :)

Exploder

I'm Pretty Popular
23/3/08
Ok, I am probably being very, very rude but I just have to ask: Was he serious?

Xplodr

no_one

5/4/08
Exploder said:
Ok, I am probably being very, very rude but I just have to ask: Was he serious?

Xplodr

Quite. Great kid, but he doesn't know a Rolex from a Rolling pin! :lol:

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
no_one said:
brtelec said:

Actually, we're 'twins' now. He got one just like it for himself. :)

OK, now thats funny! :D

seventhexile

I'm Pretty Popular
7/7/08
flex said:
you wore it to swimmnig. lol..

"oh no it broke! .. not this watch.. what will I ever do now........eh?.. its still ticking..its waterproof?.. crap.. I mean .. oh thank god idk what I would have done had it dies from me swimming with it"

I actually think it looks like a fun watch to wear around :p , definitely an eye catcher.

- Ex

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06
seventhexile said:
"oh no it broke! .. not this watch.. what will I ever do now........eh?.. its still ticking..its waterproof?.. crap.. I mean .. oh thank god idk what I would have done had it dies from me swimming with it"

- Ex

ROFL [smilie=laughing6.gif]

Alpha Dog Omega

Renowned Member
10/3/08
I know we've talked a bit about the troubles with cross postings and such , but I believe this post is not appropriate for this site. Please repost on Timezone for more accurate assessment and model ID. :p