• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review: Patek Philippe Nautilus "Jumbo" (Chinese)

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
The Watch: Patek Philippe "Jumbo" Nautilus (Chinese)

The Movement: Swiss ETA 2824-2

The Choice:

I wanted a simple but elegant watch to give as a gift to the president of our company. He does not
like a lot a busy dial nor does he like how large any of my Panerai or UPO are.
I chose to purchase a second one in the event that I really liked it in person this way I could keep
it for myself or use as a raffle on RWI (either way, a good investment..lol).

The Dealer: TWP a.k.a. thewatchprince a.k.a watchgroup.net, He had very good communication throughout the entire process. I gave him very little time to obtain these before the Holiday, honestly I did not think they would reach me in time but I received them on Dec 24th.
Thanks TWP! :)

Specific Qualities which appealed to me:

Swiss ETA 2824-2 Movement
Case shape with rounded hinges
Sapphire Crystal
The way the diamond markers match the contour of the octagonal bezel at each position
The hands which are not to big and not to small.
The use of brushed and polished stainless steel used throughout the watch (bracelet and bezel).
The recessed crown which is nestled within the "lip" on the crown side.
A less busy dial with the use of diamond markers as apposed to stick markers.
A size which exemplifies bold & beautiful instead of big and loud.

Some specifics:

Weight:
4.46oz or 126.5 grams

Measurements:
Ear to Ear: 42.03mm
Length of each Ear: 15.31
Crystal to case back thickness: 9.43mm
Diameter of Bezel: 38.35mm
Outside lug to Outside lug: 26.07mm
Width of bracelet insert into case: 13.16
Bracelet at it's skinniest point (bottom near clasp): 16mm

Side notes:
As member: Pix mentioned, you have to see this blue dial for yourself, no picture does it justice.
I think some members have a misconception about these dials, they think that it is a dark to light
design when in fact it is faceted so that it gives the same multi-color look no matter what angle you
view it from. This was a big benefit for me as a dial which refracts a beautiful array of blue
regardless of viewing angle. In my research of this diamond dial version it appears that these may
have been a "special order only" version.

Quick Fact:
The new genuine Jumbo comes in a 43mm x 38mm case as apposed to this version which is an accurate
"Original" version which is 42mm x 38mm in size. The new Jumbo's have a sapphire crystal case back and
a screw down crown which these replicas do not have.

It should also be noted that a genuine Caliber 315 S C movement as found in the original and new Jumbo
has 29 Jewels and beats at 21,600 vibrations per hour.

patekjumnaut008-1.jpg

patekjumnaut011-1.jpg

patekjumnaut010-1.jpg

patekjumnaut009-1.jpg

patekjumnaut003-1.jpg

edit: New, very quick pictures added below

patekjumnaut31.jpg

patekjumnaut32.jpg

patekjumnaut34.jpg

patekjumnaut33.jpg

D

d4m.test

great looking watch, I was looking at these the other day and like them alot, I might jump on one someday..

also, seems you have some brown stuff on your nose, you might want to rub that off before someone at work sees it.. lmao :D

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
A good review D4M, well done! I thought I would be done with reps for now for a while after some setbacks.... but this cheaper version of one the nicest watch around..... :) Makes me check my finances again :D

The diamond version has not been made by PP afaik.

Good on you to post it on all big forums :)

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
Wow tnik, what are you trying to say about D4M's shameless climb up the corporate ladder? I am going to have to find a way to handle one of these watches before I can decide if I like it or not. Some watches I like when I see the pictures and then I buy it and do not like it at all. Then some like this Patek, I don't think I like in photos but then see it in person and just love it. Great review D4M, thanks.

Matt Watch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/07
I wish i would of ordered the box with mine. I received mine with Stick/Bar markers on the 17th. Yours looks great, very nice gift indeed. I think your diamond markers look great as do the sticks that came with mine. I was surprised as to how small it looks on my wrist compared to my expectations.

Happy Holidays!

DemonSlayer

Known Member
3/12/07
Very nice watch, I have to get this one as well. I'm currently on the lookout if this one is available in asian 21J.

webvan

Known Member
29/10/08
Anyone had a chance to compare the Chinese rep to the "original" MBK rep in terms of quality and feel ?

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
piratedzeus said:
The diamond version has not been made by PP afaik.

Good on you to post it on all big forums :)

Sorry to bring this after a LONG time, but after much looking I stumbled upon this Gen. Nautilus:

pict_116_453.jpg

pict_117_530.jpg

f252f3cf.jpg

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
Well, ,aybe you are correct. Could be custom order / aftermarket bling though.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Could be, the Ref# for that blue one with diamonds is Ref.3800/001 - This wasn't to prove you wrong, just to clear that up, mainly because I still can't decide whether or not to get the diamond dial so I went commando on Google, lol. :)

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
guanaco said:
Could be, the Ref# for that blue one with diamonds is Ref.3800/001 - This wasn't to prove you wrong, just to clear that up, mainly because I still can't decide whether or not to get the diamond dial so I went commando on Google, lol. :)
We all know about the general knowledge of the people in South America about 70's modell Patek Philippe Nautilus dial variations.
You would be mad to wear a custom made dial there. People calling you out... all day ;)

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
lol that would suck.

Random guy: "Hey nice watch there! A Nautilus huh? ... but... oh... it's a fake"

"Oh, God dammit!"

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
piratedzeus said:
We all know about the general knowledge of the people in South America about 70's modell Patek Philippe Nautilus dial variations.
You would be mad to wear a custom made dial there. People calling you out... all day ;)

roflmao..

That was funnnny PZ :lol:

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
daytona4me said:
piratedzeus said:

roflmao..

:)

I wear my CN Nautilus a lot. No diamonds though... a student can only pull off a 20k $ watch.... not a 20k $ + diamonds watch ;) :lol:

Who cares.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
piratedzeus said:
daytona4me said:
piratedzeus said:

roflmao..

:)

I wear my CN Nautilus a lot. No diamonds though... a student can only pull off a 20k $ watch.... not a 20k $ + diamonds watch ;) :lol:

Who cares.

You need to learn how to be more paranoid... ?_?

webvan

Known Member
29/10/08
Nice, probably not easy to wear though, especially the repped version !

webvan

Known Member
29/10/08
well it's rather "flashy" so you don't have the lifestyle that goes with it, and someone wearing a rep probably doesn't, it's going to lock odd. I'm referring to the Gold/Diamond one, not the one of the OP.