• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of ROLEX "TW Best" Submariner

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
5.jpg

Ok, I wasn't going to buy a new Sub... or write a review of a new Sub. God knows there are enough of them. But this was for sale in the member sales section for a very nice price. The old "TW Best" classic. I was "Subless" again, so I couldn't resist (being the geek that I am).

Special thanks to member ***erwinner*** for the flawless transaction.

I'm not going to bore members with the endless info about rehauts and such. If you want to know the differences between the "Taiwan model" and the standard Chinese Subs, visit bklm1234's excellent Submariner 16610 buying guide HERE. It contains pretty much everything you need to know.

I also recommend my friend Stephane's great reviews of different Rolex models.

Originally, I was never a fan of the "TW models", because they have certain inaccuracies. But then I got a "TW Best" GMT Master for a review. Although not very accurate rep, it was really nice watch, and I became a "believer". You can see the review HERE.

The main rival of the MBW/TW models is the Chinese "Noobmariner" which I have reviewed HERE. It's available with ETA and Asian 21J movements. Different dealers just have different names for it (Beginmariner, "perfect Sub"), etc.

I'm not going to lie to you: I don't have much enthusiasm to write about this old rep model. This watch has been debated to death, and numerous members (like Chietang, Tribal and Ubiquitous) have all used this as a "base" watch for their great modifications. But since I always make some kind of writeup/pictorial of my purchases, I decided to "squeeze" out something about this (undoubtedly a nice and classic rep) as well.

My watch is a "TW best" model in good and bad. The dial isn't perfect. M and m don't align, the print is not as good as on the Noobmariner, and the hour markers are "pimplish". However these aren't apparent, except in the zoomed pictures.

4-2.jpg

The bracelet has solid middle links, and the case has lug holes (which are positioned a bit too close to the edge). The rehaut is metallic, and deep as a fish tank. Personally, I think it was good and deep enough on the Asian Nooby, but many people swear by this one... so who am I to say they're wrong?

The cyclops and datewheel are also placed correctly. While the winding crown isn't visually perfect, it's much better than most. It also operates smoothly and nicely. But you all knew this already, didn't you?

1-2.jpg

I really like this TW model. The main reasons are the weight, case, crystal and the general "feel", which is (imho) superior to the Chinese. But I still think "Nooby", the Chinese super-Rolex beats unmodded TW and MBW models in visual accuracy. Of course it depends what you consider important.

The TW model is more expensive and probably quite difficult to source these days. It's also the only option if you want to build a "perfect" 16610 rep. You buy what you like the best, debating about the "best Sub" is a dead horse.

I just end this "mini review" with two pics I took of the watch today. Hope you enjoyed this quick writeup.

2-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
Thanks for sharing with us by-tor! your reviews are always appreciated! :D

oh, and congratz on your new time piece~ :wink: looks very good~!

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Thanks mate. Glad you liked it. ;)

Now that I've discovered them... I really like these TW models a lot.

monster-rat1

24/3/06
By-Tor it is always GREAT to see any of your reviews!!! Thanks for always giving us your insight :D :D

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
By-Tor said:
Thanks mate. Glad you liked it. ;)

Now that I've discovered them... I really like these TW models a lot.

they rock! don't they? i really like them. i just don't understand why we don't have more dealers that handle them.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
piratedzeus said:
Hey,

Andrew and Josh also sell the TW best they told me. ~330$

really? the only dealers that i knew had them was el and river and i don't think el can get them anymore. i have never seen a tw best from josh or andrew. that is interesting

Sylar

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/1/07
This one and the MBW are very nice. I need to get one and get rid of the vipmariner. Great work on the review By Tor.

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
hk45ca said:
piratedzeus said:
Hey,

Andrew and Josh also sell the TW best they told me. ~330$

really? the only dealers that i knew had them was el and river and i don't think el can get them anymore. i have never seen a tw best from josh or andrew. that is interesting
Me:

Can you sell that specific sub model "Taiwans Best"? Also do you sell
the case only?

Andrew:

I can sell the TW SUB but I do not sell the case seperately. Thanks

Andrew

----

Josh told me the same. He also said he listed it on his page. I think it was his perfect or whatever sub.

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
piratedzeus said:
Me:

the case only?

Andrew:

Andrew

----

Josh told me the same. He also said he listed it on his page. I think it was his perfect or whatever sub.

Could it be this one?

hxxp://www.perfectclones88.com/rlss1000 ... -2805.html

but this one doesn't have lug hole on the side.....could it be a upgrade version then??? :roll: dunno.... :?

D

d4m.test

watch out if the left side of the case is rounded. mine from river was. ask the dealer first.

IMG_1301.jpg

-bk

vantri

Known Member
10/5/07
Also, ask to have bezel checked for 120 clicks. My 2836-2 Noob is chingered and when I asked about trading up to TW, River advised that he can't guarantee the TWBest wouldn't be too.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
jiro said:
piratedzeus said:
Me:

the case only?

Andrew:

Andrew

----

Could it be this one?

but this one doesn't have lug hole on the side.....could it be a upgrade version then??? :roll: dunno.... :?

That one definitely has much larger crown guards. They're excellent on mine. Not perfect, but at least Just as good as Nooby's.

Maybe that's a "downgraded" version. :D

PS: Thanks all for the comments, appreciated.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
jiro said:
piratedzeus said:
Me:

the case only?

Andrew:

Andrew

----

Could it be this one?

it looks like a older tw best to me.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
I actually did quite a lot of research in the old Rwg about this model. It seems that there are at least 4-5 different variations of the "TW best".

This same watch was sold as "MBW" as well... and I'm quite sure the new and improved MBW 16610 is also based on this exact same rep model.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
By-Tor said:
I actually did quite a lot of research in the old Rwg about this model. It seems that there are at least 4-5 different variations of the "TW best".

This same watch was sold as "MBW" as well... and I'm quite sure the new and improved MBW 16610 is also based on this exact same rep model.

i agree with you 100%

vdubpower

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/06
i ve purchased about 17 or so total reps and have yet to go for a sub,
obviously as we all know it is the standard for all watches, andit is amazing how we are always looking for the best ultimate perfect version

i dont think ican keep up and find that one because there is so much detail discussed about this watch.

i guess if i ever decide to get one, ill get one of the vipmariners or something, because honestly i cant tell the difference between any of them.
you guys are amazing when it comes to the SUb.

a cheap accurate 1680 would actually be my favorite, if anyone knows where to get one of those, im in

bytor, excelllent reviews

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
vdubpower said:
i guess if i ever decide to get one, ill get one of the vipmariners or something, because honestly i cant tell the difference between any of them.
you guys are amazing when it comes to the SUb.

"Amazing" or "pathetic geeks". Take your pick. :D

a cheap accurate 1680 would actually be my favorite, if anyone knows where to get one of those, im in

There's not one very accurate one (without mods). But the white MBW 1680 is a good base. You can read my review of the 1680 here. The white one is better choice, imho. The red one uses completely wrong SUBMARINER font.

http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1156