• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of OMEGA Seamaster GMT Black (Asian 21J)

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Thanks guys... appreciated.

@manydivers: I meant it's similar as the ETA 2836-2 faux GMT, not the ETA 2893 which is a real GMT movement. The GMT hand can be set independently and it serves its purpose as a GMT watch. It's not technically functioning like a real GMT movement, the extra hand just follows the hour hand using a extra gear... and makes the full circle on the dial in 24 hours.

The extra gear means "modified" in this case. ;)

fromo1946

23/10/06
Omega GMT by WBK

By-Tor,
Where can I find WBK page? I'd like to see what else he has. Also, your review and showing of the GMT is smashing, great work!!!
Thanks
Frank

D

d4m.test

Nice heads up...even these "great" dealers need to stay on top of things...i'm going thru a nightmare with one of them right now..

D

d4m.test

By the way By-Tor...Your guides/reviews are awesome...I started reading them from another forum that ur on...and have learned so much about omega reps...which is great cuz i'm a huge omega fan...my first expensive watch
was a GEN SMP, james bond...have been a fan since..

LIBBY

Known Member
8/12/06
I've been waiting for one of these too, it's my favourite modern Omega..

@ByTor
Being the detail freak I am about reps, is it possible to swap out the 21j Japanese movement and drop an ETA in there with authentic sword hands?

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
LIBBY said:
I've been waiting for one of these too, it's my favourite modern Omega..

@ByTor
Being the detail freak I am about reps, is it possible to swap out the 21j Japanese movement and drop an ETA in there with authentic sword hands?

it is... but you might as well get one with an eta first then... save u the trouble.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Thanks guys.

I have absolutely no idea if you could fit a ETA 2836-2 and genuine hands, but I don't see any reason why not. However reinstalling the GMT hand might be a problem. Check this Ziggy post:
http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=12422

PS: I've never seen this particular rep model sold with ETA. There are lots of those old inferior reps of black GMT with ETA though.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
...thanks for the great review...and thanks for the "Omega Bond" adjustment guide, which bezel adjust is on my list of watch things to do... :)

LIBBY

Known Member
8/12/06
By-Tor said:
...PS: I've never seen this particular rep model sold with ETA. There are lots of those old inferior reps of black GMT with ETA though.

I haven't either, and I've been looking! Maybe someone somewhere will put an ETA version of this out?

manydivers

Known Member
16/8/06
By-Tor said:
@manydivers: I meant it's similar as the ETA 2836-2 faux GMT, not the ETA 2893 which is a real GMT movement. The GMT hand can be set independently and it serves its purpose as a GMT watch. It's not technically functioning like a real GMT movement, the extra hand just follows the hour hand using a extra gear... and makes the full circle on the dial in 24 hours.

Hi,

there are various flavours of GMT movements :

a) The basic one simply has the GMT hand coupled to the hour hand 1:2.
So the time zone is set by the rotable bezel, definitely "faux GMT".

b) For fixed bezel GMTs the above is not possible, the GMT hand needs
to be adjustable. If this affects the hour of date change its not "full GMT".

c) For "full GMT" the GMT hand is independently adjustable, and has no
effect on the normal workings of the watch, e.g. day / date changes.

The SMP GMT shown does not appear to be a), so its b) or c) ?

Modified ETA GMTs are b), which are "modified".
I have an asian auto (explorer-u-like) which is c).
Lots of cheaper GMTmaster-u-likes are a).

What is confusing me is that I was not aware there was an asian b) ?

/mds.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
manydivers said:
By-Tor said:

Hi,

there are various flavours of GMT movements :

a) The basic one simply has the GMT hand coupled to the hour hand 1:2.
So the time zone is set by the rotable bezel, definitely "faux GMT".

b) For fixed bezel GMTs the above is not possible, the GMT hand needs
to be adjustable. If this affects the hour of date change its not "full GMT".

c) For "full GMT" the GMT hand is independently adjustable, and has no
effect on the normal workings of the watch, e.g. day / date changes.

The SMP GMT shown does not appear to be a), so its b) or c) ?

Modified ETA GMTs are b), which are "modified".
I have an asian auto (explorer-u-like) which is c).
Lots of cheaper GMTmaster-u-likes are a).

What is confusing me is that I was not aware there was an asian b) ?

/mds.

This watch has option "C"

manydivers

Known Member
16/8/06
Hi,

perhaps I don't really understand what is "full GMT" and
"faux GMT" but as WBK says this watch is option C above.

I received mine today, it is not exactly the same as the watch reviewed,
(as it is from a different source to the watch reviewed).
Crystal has no AR and is the usual mineral dome with flat back.
In all other respects it seems identical.

For the cost (<$100), a very impressive watch, if you like the look
of the black / silver GMT (I do, a classic IMO) , don't hesitate.

/mds.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Okay, I installed a "Bond" bracelet on my "Wacko" GMT. Here's a first shot of the watch with it. What do you think?

4copy.jpg

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Thanks Stockey. ;) I prefer this watch with the "Bond", although the clasp isn't now 100% accurate.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
One thing I'd like to add here (since Wacko finally is able to source this watch again):

I was wrong: I think the crystal does not have antireflective coating, although I said that in my review. I thought it had because the light reflectled differently from it... but this was due to the crystal shape... it's a bit convex. I suspect the crystal is mineral.

Other than that... everything I wrote still applies. It's very nice rep for the money and a permanent mainstay in my collection. Enjoy. ;)