• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of OMEGA Seamaster GMT Black (Asian 21J)

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
title4.jpg

Ever since I first found this community, I always wanted a rep of this watch. While I've never really warmed up to the white "blanco" GMT, the black one has always been my favourite Seamaster (along with the James Bond SMP).

Unfortunately reps of this model always seemed to have some fundamental flaws: Either they had white datewheel, or didn't have the white window/box around it. They also had bad bezel inserts with lousy "18" and "9" numerals. Some dealers have used sales pictures of this rep with correct black datewheel, but have shipped bad ones with white. Bummer!

I almost gave up, but then one day Wackobirdkeeper (a RWI dealer) found this one! Wacko is a friend and a fellow watch nut and I asked him to find another for me... preferably asap. I absolutely needed this watch!

This watch has flaws, but nothing really serious. Of course the bezel was misaligned as usual, but that was a 5 minute fix. The hands (GMT hand and minute hand) are a bit too short. This is typical flaw on most Seamaster reps with "sword hands".

Unlike standard Seamasters the GMT winding crown screws down very deep. I was delighted to see that this was replicated flawlessly.

crown2.jpg

The datewheel is correct black and it has the correct white window around it. The bezel insert looks correct too, and the "color switch" from black to silver around markers 18 and 9 is spot on. The case construction is solid and the caseback is just as good as on the more expensive ETA models.

The dial has very strong and nice wave pattern, excellent, crispy and accurate print... and the crystal has antireflective coating. However, it's ironic that the crystal on the genuine isn't AR coated. Personally, I find the whole "AR issue" a bit exaggerated.

dial.jpg

The modified Asian 21J "faux GMT" has similar functionality as the ETA 2836-2. When you unscrew the crown to the date set position (the genuine doesn't have a quick-set date) and turn it anti-clockwise you're able to set the GMT hand independently. For more detailed information about the functionality of a "faux GMT" can be found from my replica Rolex GMT Master II review HERE.

Unlike on Rolex GMT Master the GMT hand should be under the hour hand. So the infamous "hand stack" is correct on this rep.

Although the movement is "faux" it serves its purpose perfectly: to track the 2nd timezone. I don't know if Wacko checks his watches before he sends them out, but mine has been ETA-like accurate, winds silently and has good power reserve. Just out of curiosity... it would be nice to see Ziggy's review and breakdown of this movement (and the basic Asian 21J) eventually.

The date font is fair, but not 100%. The hands are coated with very strong Super Luminova, but the hour markers have typical weakish replica lume on them.

lume.jpg

The old genuine GMT's came with the "Bond" type bracelet, and I'm planning to get extra one for my watch as well. All the current models use the standard "Speedy" bracelet. It's less original, but still very nice looking watch bracelet. It has beautiful brushed and polished finish.

side3s.jpg

The diver's extension is tight, firm and solid (deployed in the picture) The Seamaster markings are "stamped" on the clasp, which is inaccurate. They're engraved on the genuine.

I found out that the polished "stripes" are separated from the brushed parts. This can be considered inaccurate, but it's not detectable at all (unless you remove a link). Actually I found this quite hilarious, and I've never seen such bracelet construction before. The bracelet uses pins as a resizing method, which is accurate.

link.jpg

So... the rep has some typical inaccuracies, and the minutiae details can't be compared to some new super accurate reps. So what's the catch then?

The catch is that this is the best replica of the Omega Seamaster GMT ever. Actually it's the only decent Seamaster GMT replica I've seen. Despite the flaws it looks fundamentally correct. Another catch is that it costs $95! Wacko sold out every single one of these as soon as he was able to source them. I'm not surprised as this is probably my best "bargain rep" ever... $95 is literally a steal for a great, great looker as this.

wrister2-1.jpg

You can certainly find gems from the cheaper Asian rep models, as this watch proves once again.

I see huge sales potential with this one, and it can be considered Omegas answer to the "Noobmariner". If you don't own any Omegas yet, I think this rep is perfect "starting model". It's also a great addition to any Omega fans collection... and it easily survives the comparison between some much more expensive rep models.

PS: Merry Christmas 2006 to all members at RWG, TRC and RWI!

ending-1.jpg

JCM1662

Renowned Member
6/6/06
By-Tor, all kidding aside. Your reviews are just amazing - they have taught me so much and make for a great read. I appreciate all your reviews - they make RWI a better place. [smilie=icon_bigsmurf.gif]

Happy Holidays!

James

Natron

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
11/10/06
By-Tor,

This was a great service the the forum. I have only one question. When you mention "18" and "9" numerals are you actually meaning "6"? As there is no "9" on the bezel.

Thanks again,

Natron

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Natron said:
By-Tor,

This was a great service the the forum. I have only one question. When you mention "18" and "9" numerals are you actually meaning "6"? As there is no "9" on the bezel.

Thanks again,

Natron

Yes of course. Sorry about that.

PS: Thanks all... glad you liked it. ;)

TWP

I'm Pretty Popular
7/5/06
Tor,

As always excellent review. You have provide priceless knowledge to the members of this community. Great looking watch.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
Hi By-Tor,

I just wanted to publically thank you for taking the time to review my watch.

You have been, and continue to be, a great resource, as well as an amazing source of knowledge for all of us.
You deserve a vote of gratitude from everyone here, as well as on all the other forums that you honor with your presence.

It has been an honor to have you review my watch.

Regards for a wonderful holiday season,
WBK

Natron

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
11/10/06
By Tor,

No problem on the proof read, just letting you know it was read in full.

Merry Christmas,

Natron

guru

Advisor
Advisor
Certified
30/9/06
Very good post, as always

Merry x-mas to you. :D :D :D

tonibari

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/10/06
I should have bought one

The Costco in my area actually had the GMT in black for a while and I believe @ $1299 it to be fair. My wife just rolled her eyes when I made her stand in front of the display (until she discovered the Diamond rings next to the watches, thats when I knew it was time to move on). When I came back three days later to pick it up the Omega was gone :( .

Then I saw it here on WBK sales line up, and procrastinated again to buy the watch (even though I bought a Roli with bling for my wife from WBK during the time).

So now I'm hopping WBK will get some more.

By-Tor, thank you for all your great post, because of your reviews I was able to pick some great reps. I now own three Omega reps and one Tag link.

Toni

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Thanks guys... appreciated. By the way... one thing that makes the rep more accurate than the standard Seamasters is the lack of HE valve and pearl. Two less potential flaws... since the factories always screw up these on the Omegas.

Another exceptional feature is the hand stack on the genuine...which is similar on the rep.

PS: My watch is -5 seconds / 24h. Not bad at all.

PS2: Thanks Wacko...the pleasure was all mine. I don't review bad watches, and this is certainly one of the best "frugal" reps I've seen. I hope you can source more of these for the members... it's really a great rep for the money. I wouldn't mind getting a good rep of the "Electric Blue" Seamaster, either. ;)

OMG1201.JPG

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
PS: I rarely make these... but here's a bigger size picture of the last review pic. Click to resize and enjoy. ;)

manydivers

Known Member
16/8/06
Hi,

Great review. Still waiting for mine (from a different source).
Looks the same watch according to the pictures but we will see.
If its as good as WBK's version you have I'll be a very happy bunny.

Your first picture suggests the the asian 21J movement is "modified".
Presumably you mean to GMT functionality ? you say "faux GMT".

The ETA 2824/2836 GMT modifications mean depending where you set
the GMT hand the time the date changes also changes (when you set
the correct relative time), i.e. its not full GMT movement capability.

I was under the impression the Asian GMT movement was not "faux",
i.e. only the modified ETA's have the above limitation, incorrect ?

Though I have heard there are 2 common different asian GMT movements.

/mds.

BTW - I believe the clasp is "laser etched", not stamped.

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
when these reps first came out,

over a year ago..

with no while line areound date, will many other faults, faults..

sharks were trampled to death in the rush to buy one...

LOL

Life is Good!
Klink

drfcfighter

I'm Pretty Popular
19/11/06
Gotta say By-Tor, as a noob I appreciate your reviews tremendously. As a matter of fact, I got the 42 PO after reading your review and I wear it with pride. 8)