• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

REVIEW - Irreantum MAgellan Dive Watch 500m

AskMeAgain

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/11
Right now im on a bit of a boutique diver love in, and my latest purchase is this one, the Irreantum Magellan. I was looking at Doxa subs and wanted a diver I could actually dive with that was not going to break the bank.

I came accross this watch in my travels and while it was not love at 1st sight, it was certainly put onto my short list.

The specs are as as follows

Magellan - Black

Retail is aprox $545.00

Irreantum Magellan

* Black Dial
* White Hands
* Case: 316 Stainless Steel
* Size: 45mm Case Excluding Crown
* 13.6mm Hight
* 22mm Band
* Movement: ETA 2824-2 (automatic Swiss movement)
* Crystal: Sapphire with internal anti-reflective coating
* Lume: Super LumiNova C3
* 500 meter water resistance
* Crown: 7mm Triplock style
* Clasp: Push-button with ratcheting extension

The watch itself is heavily based on two iconic divers the Doxa Sub and the Seiko Pillow case 6309 from the 70's.

WMbYA.jpg

This clearly shows the Seiko and Doxa Influence in both the dial and the pillow shape, as well as the crown position at 4 shich is where Seiko places theirs on alot of their divers.

I actually like the clean, almost sterile dial of this watch. This dial is all business with large lume areas and large Plonger style hands; the minute on this diver very prominent with its oranage border. On a dive watch you are far more interested in minutes under the water.

gUNaq.jpg

The crown on this one is recessed into the body, acting as a crown guard and the bezel as you can see has large knurled cutouts making it easy to grab with gloves on.

The bezel is a 120 clik anticlockwise only type. It is firm to turn with no play whatsoever. I really like this bezel action it stays where you put it, if you actually use your bezel as a timer on dives this one is not going to let you down by moving.

its a fairly tall watch as you can see from these side shots.

aqFPE.jpg

Hoj4n.jpg

The side which again clearly shows the Doxa influence, the polished sides having a pleasing curve to them.

This image is from their website
i6OJF.jpg

The case back on this watch is nicely and deeply engraved with a matt centre, the logo and edges highly polished. Its a simple logo and it would actually have been nice in my opinion to have seen it in some form on the dial as well.

huy3m.jpg

I love the bracelet on this watch it was extremely long with all the links in, I removed 3 links from each side to fit my 7.5 inch wrist. It would easily fit a 9 inch wrist I think!

Its really is very nicely finished and feels very solid with a look of quality about it. The front has polished centres in a bead of rice look with brushed edges.The back side is highly polished and nicely rounded off on all the sections. No sharp edges here to irritate.

This shot also nicely shows off the deep teeth cutouts on the bezel.

bM3jV.jpg

The best part about this bracelet and something I would like to see on more watches is the ratchet system that allows micro adjustments.

These next two shots show the micro adjustment closed and fully open.
It stays where you put it and it has lots of adjustment. This makes getting the fit on your wrist at any time of the day a snap.

NHH2w.jpg

TZH1C.jpg

All in all I like this watch and dont feel I payed over the odds for a very sturdy and solid dive watch. About the only thing I would like to see that is really missing is better AR.

For some people its probably a little plain in the dial department but it has what I like most on dive watch dials. The lume is C3 and its nuclear! I can live with the dial as it is right now but I am contemplating something.

On the wrist it wears very comfortably and has some real prescence :D

GEwoY.jpg

Cheers and thanks for reading!

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
I love the case shape of that. For some reason, I think the dial needs something extra. Maybe gloss the dial, and change the lume to a bright blue so when it's not luming, the indices look white-ish. Yep, I think that would make that watch absolutely perfect for me.

offshore

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
17/3/06
I'm with you boostin, its a pretty nice watch, but there is just something that doesn't quite gel.
Maybe its the oversize lume markers in contrast to the almost sterile bezel /case....I can't just put my finger on it.
I too thought maybe something in the dial , even a sunburst dial or some pattern....maybe a carbon dial? However I think the actual size of the markers just over powers everything.
Dunno...nice watch...jury still out...not expensive for the quality/features..
Offshore

AskMeAgain

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/11
yeah as I said the dial needs something, they do a carbon one but i thought it looked a bit cheapish! im toying with the idea of a dial swap of some sort just dont know what yet.

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
If you can do custom dials, I think a sheet of kevlar or blue carbon fiber would be pretty cool.