• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replicas here in the markets of Shanghi

OrientVisiter

Horology Curious
4/11/08
I am new at this but I want to start collecting replicas. I am currently in Shanghi where I visit periodically on business. I've been to the copy markets and have picked up a few watches. Over here they run about $25 - $30 for the major brands I see posted here. They start with a price of about $350 and you you have to talk them down and even walk out before they will come down to this price. Has anyone experienced this? Is this really a great deal or what? I did get taken on a Panerai Luminor Marina cause I did'nt take time to align the hands. When I did at my hotel, I found the hour hand was off by exactly 1/2 hour. Can this be easily fixed? I will be visiting the markets in two weeks so I'm trying to learn AMAP before then. Thanks..

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Yes, i have seen this and all you get is crap. Do mot expect to get a working Chrono less then 150usd. These watches for below 100 USD are just shit. Even in China you need to pay for a good rep around 200.always ask for better quality with swiss movement. It still could be they sell you a swiss copy movement but they are ok

TA8088

SCAMMER
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
INMATE
28/10/07
I'm not real sure about what's available in Shanghai but I know that some members here have done some rep shopping in China before. I think that the watch markets in Ghanzou are quite large and where most of them have visited. It often takes some searching to find dealers who have the higher end stuff or will show it to you.

OrientVisiter

Horology Curious
4/11/08
Ok, Now how do I tell a good movement from a bad one? I know to look for a smooth second hand. From the pics I see here I think some of the watches I get here are pretty nice....

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
I have done a lot of rep shopping in the Shanghai markets and the quality usually leaves much to be desired. They tend to be cheap reps with Asian movements. Fantasy models are popular, and if you're lucky you'll find the kind of stuff the silix sells in his low end store. The relatively better stuff is kept hidden behind the scenes. You need to ask the guys to show you their good stock. This might be hidden behind fake walls, secret holes in the ground etc. I have seen some weird James Bond style stuff in those markets, and huge amounts of watches stashed in hideaways... Freaky!! Test anything very thoroughly and take your time. QC is very poor. If you don't know your movements, find a picture on the net of what you're after, print it, take it with you, and compare it to what you're looking at. Dealers will be happy to pop the back open for you etc. In the past I also returned watches after doing some testing for a day or two, and they replaced them for me. Just make sure you confirm that you have that option and make a note of where they are. Have fun!!

beefy6969

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/9/08
Whoa thats crazy,

Price negotiation from $350 down to $35? Thats a 10x markup! :evil: