• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Removing scratches on brushed SS

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
sukwonee and Replisimio Well, I was also very scared before I started, then after the first intermediate results on my testpiece I couldn't stop and started on two other digital oldies right away! I am fully aware that I am only at the beginning and far from professional standards, but it is so rewarding to see those old watches of my school days shine again - so rewarding! Didn't know this was possible, so so cool! Thank you guys, you encouraged me and introduced me to this whole new hobby :) Pictures in the next post, I hope they show.

Woot! That's awesome to hear

Reactions: Plaasbaas

TimosL

24/12/18
Athens, Greece
So to remove scratces on brushed ss one has to use fine sandpaper. What about removing scratches on polished ss? Again fine sandpaper or another method?

And another question, if I use capecod on brushed ss am I going to ruin the brushed texture?

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
So to remove scratces on brushed ss one has to use fine sandpaper. What about removing scratches on polished ss? Again fine sandpaper or another method?

And another question, if I use capecod on brushed ss am I going to ruin the brushed texture?

For polished SS, you do have to use sandpaper to get the scratches out first and then use a polishing compound + polishing tools (like rotary tool with polishing bits) to bring the shine back.

And yes, capecod will ruin the brushed SS, eventually. Capecod doesn't take off a ton of metal but it still will ruin the texture.