• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

regulating "A3255" decorated 2836 movement

fmcsimmons

Getting To Know The Place
7/5/24
Greetings folks,

I have a GMF DD36 with what I believe to be a decorated 2836 movement. It runs about 25-30 seconds fast a day.

What would be the easiest way to rectify this? Is the decorative bridge easily removable? Can it be regulated without removing the decoration?

Any advice is much appreciated.

I'm attaching a few pics of the watch for clarification.

Thank you.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Yes, you should be able to remove the fake decorative balance bridge by removing the two screws. Then you should see the standard ETA 2824 style balance cock below. You might be able to adjust 30s/d by using the eccentric screw on the balance cock, but if you have to move the regulator arm, you'll want to remove the rotor and automatic works bridge to give yourself more room to access the two arms. The arms are very sensitive, a tiny movement is a HUGE change in rate. Also, check your watch across a few positions before you start adjusting. It's possible that the rate is fast in the dial up/down position, but is slow in the 9/6/12 down positions. You'll want to adjust against the average of the 5 positions.

Reactions: fmcsimmons

fmcsimmons

7/5/24
Thank you for your informative reply. Could you please clarify which screws appear to be holding the decoration in place?

fmcsimmons

7/5/24
So, I was able to remove a piece marked in red by removing the screw indicated. Removing the screw marked in blue did not seem to free any piece, and not wanting to damage anything I just replaced it.

Any advice on how to proceed?

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
There might be a more extensive decoration plate that is visible. Try removing the automatic works and then post a pic of what things look like.

fmcsimmons

7/5/24
To update for anyone who may read this in the future, I decided to employ the services of a watchmaker to replace this movement with a normal un-decorated A2836. This resolved the issue.