• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

recommendations JL Tourbillion

djaksaray

Known Member
6/11/13
Hi Gents,

I want to buy my first tourbillion watch (see link below) and JL has a great collection of 38mm and 43mm tourbillions. They look awesome. I have a pretty small wrist so I think it will be the 38mm version.
This is the one I have on my mind:

http://pure-time.com/product/master-tourbillon-power-reserve-ss-silver-dial/

I have a few questions:

• Which movement is recommended for a master tourbillion? Seagull handwind tourbillion movement is the one I see the most, but as far as I know there are some different types of seagull movements. Its pretty hard to recognize.
  • What’s the power reserve of the JL tourbillions? Its pretty annoying if you have to wound the watch every day again.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
Hi Gents,

• What’s the power reserve of the JL tourbillions? Its pretty annoying if you have to wound the watch every day again.

I'm not sure, but could be somewhere around 32 hours or so. However, why is that a problem? It's not like you wind it once and wait for it to stop. When I'm thinking behind the computer at work I wind a few times, when waiting for someone, while smoking a sigaret, etc, etc..... I don't see a problem in a power reserve as long as it's 8+ hours (to keep time while at sleep).

djaksaray

Known Member
6/11/13
Thats exactly why I ask the question about the power reserve. Its different then a asian 7750 movement. As far as you have it on your wrist the power keeps loading. you dont have to wound it again the next day. Seems like the seagull movement is different. Thx for the input mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
Thats exactly why I ask the question about the power reserve. Its different then a asian 7750 movement. As far as you have it on your wrist the power keeps loading. you dont have to wound it again the next day. Seems like the seagull movement is different. Thx for the input mate

The tourby is a manual winding mechanism where the 7750 is winding automaticly using the rotor! I actually prefer manual winding movements like the 649x movements and the old venus 75 / ST-19.

djaksaray

Known Member
6/11/13

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
http://www.kuvarsit-watch.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=31136

This will be the one. What do you think?

The price of this watch is on puretime 100 dollar more! :) its a sweet deal

If you allow me to advice you; there is a nicer model (at least, in my opinion) available.

Here's my movement back:
0a8456c339bceed163abf4f23b646338.jpg

Much cleaner than a big JLC logo IMO. Also the tourbillion front is different:
fac77ecb43cd5e6933e151ff6b3cdfa8.jpg

I have the black/SS version, but this one is available in white/gold too and I thought it actually is cheaper than 650$. I got mine from MR but used some credit on this watch, so you could ask him for this one in the white/gold and get a specific pricing offer :)

Good luck- basicly you can never go wrong when buying a tourbillon! It's a grail in my collection.

05f520c3a663ffd0df6f7a4bbb7c1a6f.jpg

djaksaray

Known Member
6/11/13
What a masterpiece! I saw this also on the website but Its a 43 mm watch. My wrist is not that big but a have some big bang models and they look very smooth. How does this version look on the wrist? Its a pretty thin watch..I doubt between the 38 and 43mm models..

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
What a masterpiece! I saw this also on the website but Its a 43 mm watch. My wrist is not that big but a have some big bang models and they look very smooth. How does this version look on the wrist? Its a pretty thin watch..I doubt between the 38 and 43mm models..

Well, I have quite a small wrist too and it fits very well! 43mm is perfect, and not that big!

6f327ed0d3b4a4fcd5301a5b6d936856.jpg

d0540fee19f74dacc77945891a93d9f1.jpg

38mm is VERY small, smaller than a submariner! I would go for the 43mm model as it's a thin watch and not a heavy one like a Breitling SOSF or so. Very comfortable to wear.

djaksaray

Known Member
6/11/13
You're right! It looks pretty well. 43mm it is! Thx for the suggestions bro..appreciated

mghm3

Renowned Member
2/3/14
I own the exact tourbillon above (black and steel jlc) and was planning on selling it. Send me a PM if you're interested op.

Where is the gtg Sunday joran?

Retina

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
18/12/14
you should never wind the tourbillon to its full capacity, this is to ensure a longer lifespan of the tourbillon.
Most tourbillons reps have a power reserve of 72 hours.

I own a seagull tourbillon myself, it runs excellently so far, no complaints.

Just pull the trigger, its feels good to own at least one tourbillon in your collection when you like it.

Personally, I've handled gen tourbillons from JLC, PP and VC, the movement is similar; the main difference between the tourbillons
is the polished decorated finishing on the tourbillon wheel.

djaksaray

Known Member
6/11/13
you should never wind the tourbillon to its full capacity, this is to ensure a longer lifespan of the tourbillon.
Most tourbillons reps have a power reserve of 72 hours.

I own a seagull tourbillon myself, it runs excellently so far, no complaints.

Just pull the trigger, its feels good to own at least one tourbillon in your collection when you like it.

Personally, I've handled gen tourbillons from JLC, PP and VC, the movement is similar; the main difference between the tourbillons
is the polished decorated finishing on the tourbillon wheel.

Thats some usefull information thanks. But how do you know that you are winding your tourbillion to its full capacity? How many rotations are needed?

djaksaray

Known Member
6/11/13
@Joran

Bro MR said 600$ all in...I saw the same piece on toro (580$ - 10% discount)...toro is the only one with this price I think..

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
@Joran

Bro MR said 600$ all in...I saw the same piece on toro (580$ - 10% discount)...toro is the only one with this price I think..

Well, personally I ask multiple TD's when picking a more expensive watch to compare prices- can't hurt to get the best quote! There are some different versions of this piece so you should investigate it first and get the quote for the specific version you're after! Back engraving etc are different from one to the other version- there's also one version with a spelling mistake on the back.

Retina

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
18/12/14
choose your dealer, than choose your product.
for pieces above the $500 mark, i avoid saving $10. i rather save the time and money exchanging it in case it arrives defective.

Lucy has been known for her excellent QC checks and rare DOA (if not, non-existent DOA) watches for most members. I find her service excellent.

for winding, i usually wind it 10 full rotations, it gives me about 12 hours of power reserve, more than enough to last me during my active working hours.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
What? It's too much effort to alot 30 seconds every morning to wind your watch before you put it on? Sheeesh!

As for how do you know how many turns is fully wound it's simple if you think about it. Fully wind it one morning and the next count the number of turns it takes to fully wind it again. Take 20% off that and as long as it's still running next morning you have your number of turns.