• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Really disappointed

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Pounding-Keyboard-GIF.gif

I joined RWI I hope like others because I wanted to purchase a Replica watch, but felt nervous as to what was out there.
i thought my wants were the same as others ie a faithfulish looking replica maybe not perfect but close enough that most people would not know, and secondly the replica would be reliable and last maybe 1 year
how wrong I have bought 3 watches from a trusted dealer 3 different models each 1 has failed mechanically very quickly less than 2 weeks for 1 Daytona rep
2 months PAM rep
1 months Rolex submariner rep
my question is does anyone know if anyone genuinely fits a Swiss made movement to a Rolex rep
i have also found the dealer in question sounds concerned but in fact did nothing I paid in the uk to have the watches looked at eventual threw them in the bin as I felt stupid every time I looked at them
the only thing I will say is all 3 reps looked the part but failed to tick for any length of time
just my experience thanks all
broncoupe

First, welcome to the forum. This is an amazingly rare occurrence so it's not surprising that so many members, particularly experienced members would be skeptical. This is not something that I've read about on any forum.

Keep in mind that these are not produced by world class watch makers. With that said, even the Asian movements are decent and reliable. It is always recommended that if you have a rep that you intend to keep for any period of time, take it to a watchsmith for an overview, oiling, o-ring greasing.... For simple movements this is fairly inexpensive, but worth the peace of mind.

As mentioned above, this is an issue to bring to your dealer's attention first, then one of the mods. PureTime is one of our trusted dealers here, and has a huge following on RepGeek where he's very active.

At the very least, keeping what you have rather than disposing of it gives you an opportunity to:
-deal with return issues
-send to your watchsmith for repair
-sell as defective to recoup some of your losses

Quite often the defect is a problem that can be solved easily, such as a loose rotor or movement holders- things that have fallen into the mechanism causing it to fail. Forcing a damaged movement will only cause more damage. In my experience, all watches come with complete movements so everything necessary to have a properly working movement will be there... just might not be properly assembled. Replacement movements can be found without a problem.

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
First, welcome to the forum. This is an amazingly rare occurrence so it's not surprising that so many members, particularly experienced members would be skeptical. This is not something that I've read about on any forum.

Keep in mind that these are not produced by world class watch makers. With that said, even the Asian movements are decent and reliable. It is always recommended that if you have a rep that you intend to keep for any period of time, take it to a watchsmith for an overview, oiling, o-ring greasing.... For simple movements this is fairly inexpensive, but worth the peace of mind.

As mentioned above, this is an issue to bring to your dealer's attention first, then one of the mods. PureTime isn't one of our trusted dealers here, but has a huge following on RepGeek where he's very active.

At the very least, keeping what you have rather than disposing of it gives you an opportunity to:
-deal with return issues
-send to your watchsmith for repair
-sell as defective to recoup some of your losses

Quite often the defect is a problem that can be solved easily, such as a loose rotor or movement holders- things that have fallen into the mechanism causing it to fail. Forcing a damaged movement will only cause more damage. In my experience, all watches come with complete movements so everything necessary to have a properly working movement will be there... just might not be properly assembled. Replacement movements can be found without a problem.
All of this and you did not post a picture or video!!!!:facepalm:

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
PureTime is NOT a Trusted Dealer here???
I'd like to know, what do you smoke, mate...

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
Lol I totally agree but we should show respect you don't know him and it could be taken as insulting though we are only trying to help he needs to learn about buying reps by maybe reading more here in the posts on the forum

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk 2

Bro... Respect should be deserved, don't you think?
:D

cyberwarhol

Renowned Member
28/7/13
The OP has been here since 2011. I am still wondering what else he bought before these problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

broncoupe

Horology Curious
29/1/11
Thanks for all the comments I think we shall agree to disagree.
What have I learned if you can't afford the real thing save up, that way you won't be disappointed .
To the genuine watch modifiers I mean no disrespect infact the opposite, you have real discipline .
I fall into a group who would like to support the trusted dealers have little real knowledge,and look to the forum for guidance.
In my work I support a forum and we are very clear on what products and suppliers to use, which to me is the purpose of a forum.
to guide people in a subject someone has little knowledge off

mzcool

I'm Pretty Popular
2/6/13

Luth, just because you've been sitting around rep forums for years, that doesn't mean you automatically become respected. When someone wants respect, they don't ask for it, or don't push their desire in the faces of other, they earn it.

D

d4m.test

Bah. I don't even know what we were yakking about. I just made a big rambling post with no punctuation, but was unable to properly emulate the op's flair for incoherence.

Rudy40

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/10/12
I have had bad luck with some reps I bought. Not three in a row...but three out of the last 10 I bought from a trusted dealer!....But I can see it being possible though....Sometimes you can have bad luck!
But after buying reps from a Trusted Dealer and them turning out to be crap.....I move on to another Dealer....It's all part of the game...I guess?....I wish the Op the best of luck...getting everything sorted!

ddc

Renowned Member
20/6/11
I've had gens failed also, this in not exclusive to reps.In my experience, an Asian movement (once cleaned and oiled properly) is as reliable/unreliable as a swiss one.
VERY weird to have 3 different watches fail that fast...

Wingfeathers

24/7/10
USA
I guess I've been lucky, as only one of my reps failed - and that was after a year of daily wear & abuse. Hmmm...

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
We get so frustrated because new people don't understand this arrangement and start saying and doing stupid things. Instead, just calm down and go through the proper channels that the RWI admin team has worked so hard to set up. If that doesn't work, you've already seen that members of the community are interested in paying for your parts.

He's been here three years. Plenty of time to learn the "game".

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Threw them in the bin
:facepalm: Now why would you do that? Money to burn do you?

I paid in the uk to have the watches looked at
Really? And your watchmaker could not repair a 6497, the simplest and easiest to work on watch movement ever made? Not even sure how you broke the Pam considering how tough those 6497s are but you could have put a new movement in it for 45 bucks! Even a gen Swiss is only 160 or so.

less than 2 weeks for 1 Daytona rep
And in 3 years of being here you never did enough reading to realise this was a good chance of happening? That movement is a time bomb and there are 10s of 1000s of words here on the subject.

i have also found the dealer in question sounds concerned but in fact did nothing
Funny, Angus has been more than helpful to members here when there is an issue. Think I'll go ask if he remembers you . . .

my mistake is giving people like you the benefit of the doubt
People like who, exactly? Do you address folk that way in person? Na, you're still standing huh?