• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Quieting an Asian ETA 2813?

sawalke4

I'm Pretty Popular
16/1/08
Just got a beginmariner from josh and it was DOA, and there was a loud rattling in the case. So, i took it to my watchsmith and he fixed it for $10. Sized it and it looks really good. This is going to be my beater, but the only thing is, the movement is LOUD. I can constantly hear it spinning and even my girlfriend said "whats that rattling in your car?" when we were driving. Is there any way to make it quieter? I wont spend money on a full service for this movement. I understand that Otto frei sells one. maybe a swap of a Swiss EAT would take care of the problem?

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
assuming the rotor is not rubbing on anything a couple drops of 9010 lubricant can help sometimes. I would assume the watchmaker already did that. Afterall it's only a $15.00 movement.

What exactly did the watchmaker fix?

swissaddict

Renowned Member
6/3/08
Lubing the rotor bearings doesn't seem to quiet it down. Neither does tightening the screw that holds the rotor..... so I don't know what to tell you. Can always buy a 4813 movement from ajoesmith at RepGeek ($35 shipped).. it's supposed to be much quieter, and vibrates at 28800vph like a swiss ETA or gen would.

sawalke4

I'm Pretty Popular
16/1/08
The axel grease worked perfectly! Now its so quiet! I just hope i didnt mess up the movement, i was kinda messy with the grease and some may have smudged on the movement. anyway if it dies, it dies and ill replace it.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
i am glad it worked for you. if you try it again just be sure to be very careful and clean with it for obvious reasons. if you are over at repgeeks be sure and send flavorflave a thanks for that little secret fix. it was very good of him to share that one with us and it works very well, he is a good guy. :D