• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Quick 15400 review - mystery maker

pallan

11/1/11
4 days ago I received the first rep I've bought in ages; a blue Miyota-powered 15400.

I've been out of the rep buying game for so long, because of my mixed experiences... especially with the clone movements. So when the Miyota 9015-powered reps started coming out, I paid more attention. The photos of the 15400 were enough to convince me.

At first it seemed the choices were between the Puretime best edition with the engraved AP name on the movement, and a cheap version with the wrong hands, date window, etc.

After a while I started noticing other versions, including the one I settled on. I bought it new from a TD here, who claims it's made by BP factory (though I understood that BP was only doing the ETA clone version).

Sure enough, here it is;

8ISSaOd.jpg

W4YPHxV.jpg

e9Sbi2L.jpg

LsXyrGJ.jpg

Notes on the watch:

- Dealers claim this version has gen construction, where the screw slots go from the case back to the bezel; not sure if it's true

- The dial is absolutely stunning in the light. The colour is probably inaccurate, and looks pretty much black indoors, but I am impressed with it. The photos don't do it justice. No gap with the date wheel either.

- It wears very large. I have no problem wearing 42mm+ divers, but the 15400 wears much bigger due to its lugs. I was very close to swapping it for a 15300 because of this.

- The 9015 movement has been very accurate.

- The case is well constructed, the polished screws contrast nicely with the brushed bezel.

- The octagonal corners of the caseback/midcase/bezel all line up perfectly

- The clasp works perfectly; has a nice firm click when you buckle it.

- As with all reps I've owned so far, it could use having its edges softened. Screwing in the crown also feels slightly rep-ish (not sure if this is due to the crown, tube, or both).

- The bracelet screws unscrewed nicely without having me ruin them; a first for my reps.

Overall I'm very pleased with it and it will be in my rotation. Highly recommended.

Phantomtech

I'm Pretty Popular
28/12/12
This watch looks great, looks like Sead's version to me. AR crystal would really bring out the beautiful dial color.

Enjoy it!

adamweby

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/8/12
CONUS
as mentioned above AR crystal is all you need for that bad boy. wear it well!

RoseGold

7/7/13
I read on a previous review the BP version case is slightly thicker than the version.

I can see from the photos the bezel screws are sunken in. The screws at 11 and 5 o'clock seem to have a gap.

Did you request for a Miyota or BP when u source from TD?

Overall it's a stunning watch! Congrats on coming back to the dark side haha.

Capt_K

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/14
This looks like the one john as selling... Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pallan

11/1/11
I requested the Miyota 9015, and strangely he claims that these ones are from BP... though BP is known for only making the A2824 version.

I read on a previous review the BP version case is slightly thicker than the version.

I can see from the photos the bezel screws are sunken in. The screws at 11 and 5 o'clock seem to have a gap.

Did you request for a Miyota or BP when u source from TD?

Overall it's a stunning watch! Congrats on coming back to the dark side haha.

SerafinWatch

4/1/14
Switzerland
marker, dial, date window and case really do look like the BP version. so its maybe a bp version until swiss movements are not sourcable (even revised ones) anymore.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Very nice. Im extremely tempted to pull the trigger on my first AP.

Does the crystal have single AR or none at all?

What about overall weight and feel? I'm assuming it has a nice 'heft' as you would expect a gen to have?

pallan

11/1/11
Very nice. Im extremely tempted to pull the trigger on my first AP.

Does the crystal have single AR or none at all?

What about overall weight and feel? I'm assuming it has a nice 'heft' as you would expect a gen to have?

I think it has AR only on the inner side, but I can't tell for sure. It's certainly less reflective than my AR-free crystals.
The watch feels extremely solid. Everything is very heavy and secure, and the clasp has such a perfect click to it. I also noticed that the serial number on the case back is the same as the BP rep; so maybe it's like the above poster said, with miyotas being installed in the new BPs.

pallan

11/1/11
Will do. Did you order yours during CNY?

I ordered on Feb 9th, it was shipped out within a few days with DHL, and arrived about a week (or less) later. Unfortunately I had to pay some customs duties of 25 euros even though the declared value wasn't much more than that. I guess I just missed the CNY rush.

TimeWillTell

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/09
This looks like the one john as selling... Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yesh timmytigger same model i put up for sale before, and i wish to sell more of this puppies...Good pricing, and solid 9015 workhorse!

I ordered on Feb 9th, it was shipped out within a few days with DHL, and arrived about a week (or less) later. Unfortunately I had to pay some customs duties of 25 euros even though the declared value wasn't much more than that. I guess I just missed the CNY rush.
you have pm!

chronosphere

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/10/14
At the price quoted and photos this does indeed look interesting, but you still have not posted source(s) so not a lot of help.

Toro has two versions:-

15400 miyota "best edition" @ $438 plus shipping. With square datewindow and from "V5 factory" whatever that is.
and another miyota " special offer" @ $208 plus shipping. But with RECTANGULAR datewindow and stated as "new maker".

Your version appears to have a SQUARE datewindow - can you confirm? and also if possible dealer source(s).

I would like the Toro version but $470 inc. shipping is crazy.

thanks,