• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Questions on Franken watches

TickTockTommy

Do not accept unsolicited offers
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/6/24
You buy superreps and nobody would be able to tell on the wrist. Even in hand unlikely unless they know what flaws to look for or have a genuine in hand to compare.
Thank you very much for your reply. Looks indeed very good.

Kerbus

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
FL
my Franken cost a bit over $1000 back in 2011. I had it built because there were and still are no good super reps of the model and the fact that it is an iconic piece. Today,given the cost of gen parts, it would be too expensive to justify building. I would shop for one someone is selling instead it definitely depreciates. But it is still an alternative to trying to get the real thing

I plan on dropping $200 for a much better bracelet for it. When you shop for parts for a Franken,you must be careful of the quality you get. I got burned on the present bracelet I have on mine.

it’s still fun to see all the parts come together and form the watch. Something special about how you personally customize it.

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
For your edification. A couple of genuine/replica combinations I personally own (or used to own both and sold the replica on)

Panerai 237, gen on left....
PXL_20240419_134501136f299064f14f67517.jpg

PXL_20230927_195549232ada0ad13a1634609.jpg

Tudor black bay GMT, gen on right
IMG_20200817_145915d6e150f5c612ebdf.jpg

Tudor Pelagos, gen on left

IMG_20180902_09541375bd8ee3a48201de.jpg

IMG_20180902_10001435086f2fdff90b78.jpg

You buy superreps and nobody would be able to tell on the wrist. Even in hand unlikely unless they know what flaws to look for or have a genuine in hand to compare.
I really like seeing gen alongside rep, don't know why. I find it fascinating - Thanks very much!

Reactions: Rx4Time

TickTockTommy

MULTI ACCOUNT
17/6/24

St-Maxime

Supporter
Certified
3/10/16
EU
not seeing any evidence of people losing money on frankens. seem to sell pretty quick and if it sticks you can always sell parts seperately.
Perfectly true. You do not lose money if you buy smart, not on Rolex parts. If anything if you keep the franken for 5 to 10 years it will probably appreciate in value. That's what makes the game fun.

Gmt89

Getting To Know The Place
19/6/23
Are you happy?
I feel neutral but I am extremely excited when opening the parcel when it arrived.

Tbh, I don't feel any difference wearing this vsf hulk vs gen 16613 LN (half gold black sub) and gen 116710 BLNR (batman) gmt.

A Sub will always wear better than a GMT due to its glidelock adjustment feature.

So I guess this vsf hulk is really a ootb standard without any mods involved, from my honest opinion.

xray7

Amateur Rhetoric Wrangler
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
My biggest enjoyment at the time from building an 11 series franken came from the part sourcing. The 'thrill of the chase' if you will.
This man gets it, and honestly, this is what often determines who stays on the forum and banters with us, versus who buys once and disappears permanently, or who makes themselves scarce until they have the rep bug again.

The rep game is a snake which feeds on itself if you allow it to. When I landed here I’d been messing with watches for a very long time but I wasn’t studying the angle of the rehaut - I’m not now either as I don’t tell the bloody time by reference to the rehaut, but it’s another thing to which attention is paid.

Incremental though the improvements may be to the objective observer, we are not objective observers. We are borderline perfectionists focused on the fine details of watches which enthral and vex us, and the pursuit of the components requisite to achieving that is part and parcel of this hobby - it can be as though engaging in an international scavenger hunt in your spare time, escaping the drudgery of day to day life.

We don’t really have control over much - but we can control what watch we wear, how we build it, or the vision we get others to execute for us on building a custom piece.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

TC collector - always looking
Supporter
Patron
Certified
21/3/23
Pre ceramic era 🇬🇧
Incremental though the improvements may be to the objective observer, we are not objective observers. We are borderline perfectionists focused on the fine details of watches which enthral and vex us, and the pursuit of the components requisite to achieving that is part and parcel of this hobby - it can be as though engaging in an international scavenger hunt in your spare time, escaping the drudgery of day to day life.
Hear hear.

This 100% is a hobby and one that keeps so many of us engaged and, if you'll excuse the pun, ticking over.

Don't get me wrong I've had satisfaction of buying gens, but that was largely due to career achievements / bonuses which underpinned the end transaction with my AD of choice.

Researching, chasing parts down and above all learning from the ever so many knowledgeable and talented members of RWI in my opinion is far more satisfying than a single transaction.

Last edited:
Reactions: TickTockTommy

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
Frankening vintage reps is the only way frankening makes sense to me.

Reactions: EarlOfBacon

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
🇩🇪
Thank you very much for your reply. Looks indeed very good.
I keep a Franken journal here if you are interested: https://forum.replica-watch.info/th...16500-114060-pp-5711-1016-and-so-on.10962760/

My Daytona Franken is mainly on the movement since I am a movement snob, but I also make changes with the outer components. @Rx4Time is right, money can add up pretty quickly. For my project, it can end up north of 8k if I change everything on my wishlist. The good thing is you can control the burn rate and don't have to spend at once unless you are in a rush to see the result.

TickTockTommy

MULTI ACCOUNT
17/6/24
This man gets it, and honestly, this is what often determines who stays on the forum and banters with us, versus who buys once and disappears permanently, or who makes themselves scarce until they have the rep bug again.

The rep game is a snake which feeds on itself if you allow it to. When I landed here I’d been messing with watches for a very long time but I wasn’t studying the angle of the rehaut - I’m not now either as I don’t tell the bloody time by reference to the rehaut, but it’s another thing to which attention is paid.

We don’t really have control over much - but we can control what watch we wear, how we build it, or the vision we get others to execute for us on building a custom piece.

Wonderful, thank you very much for your inspiration.

Reactions: xray7

Messi

⚡️
Patron
Certified
28/4/13
🇺🇸
I would just add to BE CAREFUL with frankens. The budget you initially set out for usually ends up going over fairly quickly.
Ive built pretty high end frankens of Submariners, Daytonas, GMTs and it can get out of hand

the 2024 stock watch builds dont require as much upgrading as the watches from 2015 lets say.

Asthetically speaking-- Upgrading a dial, bezel, crystal were all essential to any franken. Many movements were also pretty shitty and required servicing at the very least. This isnt necessarily the case anymore. The stock dials are pretty damn good considering a gen may run you up to 2k.

I learned a valuable lesson building my franken 116500 daytona. I swapped in a bunch of genuine movement parts costing close to 2000 to "make it more reliable" only to find out it was better off stock and serviced as the build gave me problems. The mix of gen/rep movement parts isnt always a perfect adaption.

Todays rolex reps are different and major upgrade from the older movements. The New movements in the GMTs /Daytonas/Subs such as the DD movements are AMAZING. In fact i wouldnt do anything more than maybe service them at some point but dont swap in genuine parts its a waste of money.

Dont ever do replica Gold and expect it to be anything close to genuine Gold.

Reactions: Gmt89

Gmt89

19/6/23
I would just add to BE CAREFUL with frankens. The budget you initially set out for usually ends up going over fairly quickly.
Ive built pretty high end frankens of Submariners, Daytonas, GMTs and it can get out of hand

the 2024 stock watch builds dont require as much upgrading as the watches from 2015 lets say.

Asthetically speaking-- Upgrading a dial, bezel, crystal were all essential to any franken. Many movements were also pretty shitty and required servicing at the very least. This isnt necessarily the case anymore. The stock dials are pretty damn good considering a gen may run you up to 2k.

I learned a valuable lesson building my franken 116500 daytona. I swapped in a bunch of genuine movement parts costing close to 2000 to "make it more reliable" only to find out it was better off stock and serviced as the build gave me problems. The mix of gen/rep movement parts isnt always a perfect adaption.

Todays rolex reps are different and major upgrade from the older movements. The New movements in the GMTs /Daytonas/Subs such as the DD movements are AMAZING. In fact i wouldnt do anything more than maybe service them at some point but dont swap in genuine parts its a waste of money.

Maybe things to consider going gen to be worthy:

Crystal
Dial
Datewheel
Bracelet
Crown

Gmt89

19/6/23
But for me personally, I would get a good Tudor.

The funds spent on gen frankening, a Tudor will be a much better choice

TickTockTommy

MULTI ACCOUNT
17/6/24

Thank you very much for your explanation, makes perfect sense to me!

Gmt89

19/6/23

In the past when people franken, gen Rolex parts were much more affordable then. Replicas standards were also not as great back then, right now, any decent factory will produce a ootb model that is good enough without frankening.

No stranger will take a loupe and request to see your watch. Neither will anyone stare at close distance.

Yes, u will definitely get some looks because it's a Rolex.

U will get even more looks if it's a daytona or a rare model like hulk / batman / pepsi etc.

But still no one will stare at your watch. It's just a few seconds glance. Current standard replicas is good enough for that.