• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Question for movement experts

crwilsn

18/5/13
I have been playing around with a couple of broken 21j and an cheapie eta with water damage. I am getting comfortable with them and am concise ring moving ups a step in quality and actually trying to overhaul a movement.

Is a high quality vintage ETA or perhaps even a rolex 15xx series movement easier to work on than a cheap 21j. I watch people put these together pretty fast on YouTube, and I know much of it is skill and practice, but there must also be a factor of not having to fiddle with poorly fitting parts that were never meant to be taken apart and repaired.

Thanks in advance and if I do it I will odd my best to video tape it for board knowledge.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
ETA's are much easier than 21j. That's probably one reason why most people throw them away and replace them. Never took a Rolex apart because they're way to expensive to ruin, but they don't look any more difficult than an ETA.

Also, I'm not an expert by any means but I've been pretty deep into the 2824/2836 movements without much problem. Tried taking apart a 21j just for fun and never came close to getting it back together.