• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Question about Hand Winding mech.

SLK55

28/7/06
So most people on here were tight.. I am getting a PAM bug big time. I have not had either a rep or gen Panarei, but from all the pictures posted I want one...pretty bad.

I have narrowed them down to the following:

1950:

http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?mai ... cts_id=578

Unitas 6497 with Swan neck hand wind

P127GSW01.JPG

and:

http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?mai ... ducts_id=9

Asian Automatic 21J

P203A.JPG

Both have the sandwich dial and superlum that I love and both are the model I like and a good size for me, but I am not sure what the advantages/disadvantages of a handwind movements are. I know with the auto, as long as I am wearing it or its in my box winder, it keeps time.

With the handwind, how often do you have to wind it? Do you need to pull the crown out to wind it? and if so, does it disrupt the time/stops it? Are they more accurate then the Auto?

Thanks for the help!

gerco

Known Member
8/8/06
Handwind: every 48 hours, yep you have to pull pout the crown and accuracy: thats different with ever watch you buy.

One pam from Andrew (handwind) runs unbelievably exact, the other one I had to adjust.

Good luck ! (no 217 destro on your list ?)

SLK55

28/7/06
gerco said:

which one is that? I am right handed, so I wear my watch on the left hand...

Roeod4

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/3/06
For the watches you are looking at, the manual movement will be more accurate. The second one with the auto is supposed to have an 8-day manual movement in it, but that movement does not exist in reps. Time keeping accuracy can be different with every watch, but the movement in the manuals you are looking at will be better quality than the auto.

You do not actually pull out the crown to wind the watch. On that model you just lift the lever on the crown guard and turn the crown clockwise. You turn it until you feel resistance, then you stop.

I wind my watches every night. It is not really necessary, but I enjoy it and it is a little ritual I have before bed. The power reserve on most manual movements is from 40 - 50 hours.

I never thought I would like them but my manual watches out number my autos, 3 to 1. They are really cool, especially when they have display backs and they always give you a reason to play with your watch.

Go with the manual movement, you won't regret it. :D

Whichever you get, buy a new strap for it. The ones they come with really suck.

Roeod4

14/3/06
SLK55 said:
gerco said:

which one is that? I am right handed, so I wear my watch on the left hand...

The destro is the left handed version of the 1950 (if I remember that right) it is worn on the right wrist.

SLK55

28/7/06
Thats what i thought about the Destro - I wear a bracelet on the right hand, that is more or less sentimental, so I am not taking it off. So I guiess no Destro for me, although I am curious also about the PAM 111h ...

Roeod4

14/3/06
The 111h is a great watch. It is actually my daily beater, so I am a little biased. The 111h and the 127 will use the same manual movement.

higgy

Advisor
17/3/06
Yeah what pug said...... [smilie=thumbsup.gif] The 111H is pretty much a must have watch. It is by far the most popular "first Pam" And if you like the pictures of these watches...wait until you actually hold one ....WOW [smilie=love7.gif]

Higgy 8)

SLK55

28/7/06
Is the 111h as big as the 1950? I prefer large watches 44mm +

BTW Pug - nice watch - mind sharing where you got it from?

gerco

Known Member
8/8/06
Roeod4 said:
The destro is the left handed version of the 1950 (if I remember that right) it is worn on the right wrist.

I'm left handed and wearing my destro on the left wrist. It's designed for divers, so the hook won't bother your left had.

e296ab50.jpg

b4655442.jpg

and it's BIG 47 mm !

Gerco

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I would suggest you get the manual wind. Davidsen has China manual wind movement with power reserve >60 hours. Confirmed by enzo, myself and possible other members too.

If you want a "better" rep of this, you can take a look in watchmaster section's. He has one with real Angelus movement (this one really has 8 days power reserve and cost like 3k :lol:).

SLK55

28/7/06
)believe me, I have been looking. I bookmarked every page I find :)

I am also looking for 111h (no thanks to pug :twisted: )

groovy

29/3/06
SLK55 said:
)believe me, I have been looking. I bookmarked every page I find :)

I am also looking for 111h (no thanks to pug :twisted: )

Pug's pics of the 111h did it for me.

I took the plunge, and I am glad I did.

The pics are good , but the feel of it on my wrist is very satisfying. [smilie=blob10.gif] [smilie=blob3.gif] [smilie=blob5.gif] [smilie=blob6.gif] [smilie=blob7.gif]

the fiddy or the 187 are next on my list

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
I also wear the destro on the left wrist, that crown guard can leave a heck of an indentation in your wrist when worn on the right.