• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Q5?'s Franken PO 4th Gen(modded by Katt & R2D4)

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I have loved the 42mm Planet Ocean since I joined RWI because it's the perfect all around tool watch.
The PO looks so elegant when on steel yet tough on rubber. :anopsis:
I was lucky enough to have Katt and R2 help me on another Franken Project.

First I drove over to Otto Frei and picked up the goodies..
IMAG0203.jpg

Here is what she looked like before I sent her off to R2.......
IMAG0097.jpg

So what did they do? Lets start wit R2's crown tube milling and Gen pearl swap.

He milled a recess in the case so the Gen tube would sit a bit deeper. Now the crown sits flush to the case when fully secured.
DSCN0040.jpg

DSCN0043.jpg

There was an issue if we used the Gen bezel and Gen crystal. It would have made the crystal sit too high.

So we decided to do R2's famous Gen pearl swap. He removed the rep pearl then enlarged the hole to fit the Gen pearl. This is the best part of the entire project IMO. It is amazing......
DSCN0046-1.jpg

DSCN0045.jpg

After installing the crystal R2 sent it off to Katt.

Katt installed the dial, ETA date wheel, hands and sealed it up. He needed to broach the second hand. I'm not sure how he did that but it must take a lot of precision and patience.

This is a pic he sent me after he sent it back to R2 to install the insert.
P1030338.jpg

Here are the details:

Gen dial, hands, crystal, crown/tube, pearl, ETA date wheel, Gen bracelet & rubber strap.

Now on with the pics...........

IMAG0320.jpg

IMAG0319.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

IMAG0317-1.jpg

IMAG0314.jpg

IMAG0329.jpg

IMAG0327.jpg

IMAG0309.jpg

IMAG0334.jpg

IMAG0318.jpg

IMAG0358.jpg

IMAG0354.jpg

IMAG0395.jpg

Thank you R2 and Katt!

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Bravo dude! I love this watch and I was happy help a buddy out. :) Fun too.

manclapping.gif

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
I think you meant to send me the pic of the fish with the watch! I was reading your pm and thinking, "he didn't bother to put a pic of the watch?" Looks great! Almost makes me wonder why I spent so much on a gen.

rol_man

Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
Very, very nice, and the fish ain't bad either

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Just perfect...Amazing job and photos. Congrats R2 on the pearl job, in my opinion is just as the gen one... And one of topic question as i just received an aftermarket bezel. I have a gen smp women bezel and i want to do the swap but as i see the gen pearl is smaller! What can i do about it?

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Just perfect...Amazing job and photos. Congrats R2 on the pearl job, in my opinion is just as the gen one... And one of topic question as i just received an aftermarket bezel. I have a gen smp women bezel and i want to do the swap but as i see the gen pearl is smaller! What can i do about it?

The zit pearl aftermarket inserts are ok for this as they have the pearl sitting on top of the insert. If you flake that pearl off, stomp on it, flick it across the room and burn it, you will be left with a smaller hole in the insert which I would imagine you could enlarge to fit the gen pearl from underneath. ;) Or reuse your existing insert. Some of those bay inserts will not fit our reps though.

auslander

18/2/11
Well Done! This kinda makes me swallow a huge lump in my throat at my upcoming project; Gen SMP movement swap from 1538 to 1120, railmaster hands, PO second hand, 42MM PO crystal and bezel as well as my UPO project of gen insert and pearl mod, 2892-A2 install, crown / tube install, dial and hands install.

Just got shipping notice from Ofrei of all the parts (and some well needed tools) yesterday. I'm sure you can imagine my sticker shock!!!!

I really hope I dont fug something up :( I'm excited though. This is such a rewarding hobby!

I'm also waiting for my flipping George Daniels book to arrive.......

Bravo gentlemen, Bravo!!

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
The zit pearl aftermarket inserts are ok for this as they have the pearl sitting on top of the insert. If you flake that pearl off, stomp on it, flick it across the room and burn it, you will be left with a smaller hole in the insert which I would imagine you could enlarge to fit the gen pearl from underneath. ;) Or reuse your existing insert. Some of those bay inserts will not fit our reps though.

wow that sounds complicated...i hope Uwe can do that because i wont hehe...

Phil G

29/9/10
Stevenage, Hertfortshire, England
Job well done Q5, that looks amazing. Wear it well. :thumbsup:

I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering where you sourced the donor watch.

Still new to the rep world I know there are different qualities on offer and it would be a shame to not get the best one available. Go on, tell us who you got it from.

Good luck, Phil

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I picked it up as a broken watch in a Member Sale.
47b20s0.gif

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
Amazing!! I mentioned "she" is gorgeous in another thread. My hat's off to you guys for the collaborative effort! It's also really feckin' cool you can drive to Otto Frei and source your parts! :thumbsup:

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Ebay. Just set up a saved search for Omega+insert, Omega+bezel, Seamaster+Insert, .............

Be patient and one will come up.

ImWatchingYOU

24/8/10
OMG this looks fabolous!!! Great mods and an even greater watch. Which movement does it have? Did you also buff and oil the bracelet?

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
OMG this looks fabolous!!! Great mods and an even greater watch. Which movement does it have? Did you also buff and oil the bracelet?

I believe he went gen on the bracelet too. Already factory finished. If I remember correctly it is a nickel plated Swiss.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

dan_j

5/11/10
The watch looks amazing. It's also awesome that you can drive to Otto Frei.

Can you elaborate on this though?

There was an issue if we used the Gen bezel and Gen crystal. It would have made the crystal sit too high.

So Gen bezel and Gen crystal won't fit properly together on the v5?

Daniel

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
The base watch was a 4th Generation PO. Not the 5th Generation. The Gen Bezel is a tad thinner in height. So the crystal would have sat higher. If you have a Gen pearl and can install that on your rep bezel you save a bunch of money. And you ensure the proper bezel turning action. The pearl matching the dial/hand lume and proper bezel turn were important to me. Not looking Gen ;)