• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pugwash's Panerai diatribe.

cwai02

Renowned Member
16/3/06
I don't want to limit myself to one single brand. So, PAM is not my only cup of tea.

These luxary watch companies copy design from each other. If they do look like tag, they do. No big deal. Is it a tag? no. That's point, you buy the brand.

When you buy a luxary watch, you don't quite look at the value and fuctions. My $60 G-shock have auto time sync and solor powered which blows any automatic watches away.

Indeed, i think PAM's fever is like a barbie toy for little girl. You can customize the strap, like changing clothes on the barbies. We are all big kids afterall. Where else can you find you a watch that you can customize the style like PAM, so that you can compare yours with others? What's so fun if everyone has the same watch that looks exactly same, right? You can afford to have different styles with only one watch. PAM is expensive, but all the other watches are overpriced.

Btw, I think it would be fair if you can get one first before you jump to a conclusion. You sound like you don't like the brand, rather than the watches. There are so many models and shouldn't there be one or two that you like?

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
cwai02 said:
Btw, I think it would be fair if you can get one first before you jump to a conclusion. You sound like you don't like the brand, rather than the watches. There are so many models and shouldn't there be one or two that you like?
As I have said many, many times, includign several times in this thread, I like the vintage design a lot. As you surmise, I don't like what the brand is today. I would love a 40mm pre-V style PAM, but 47mm is just too big. I'm an average european-sized brit, not an american. The huge puck with leather is way to wild-west for any europeans to pull off unless they're governors of california.

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
"It's all about personal preferences, really. "

wonder what the via paneristis think? LOL

One's personal preference has less impack than a mosquito bite
on the elephant of market perception..

you do have an interesting counter-intuitive 'my mind is closed'
view, it seems. But then, that is personal taste..

Perhaps you should join Panerai as a designer.. so, what would
you design? Show us a rendering.. that would be nice!

Cheers,
Klink
Life is Good!

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Klink said:
Perhaps you should join Panerai as a designer.. so, what would
you design? Show us a rendering.. that would be nice!
That's a strawman. You don't need to be a painter of Picasso's stature to say one of his paintings is better than another.

At no point did I ever consider I could do better - the problem is, neither did they.

Mikellem

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/4/06
Roeod4 said:
Pugwash said:
Roeod4 said:
Just because you are a small wristed girly-man doesn't mean you should hate Panerai so much. :wink: We could find you nice 40mm with a pink strap!
First things first, I don't hate Panerais. I do dislike the new models intensly, but I put that down to different tastes. I don't like most new Tags either, but I can appreciate some people do, and I am more than happy to aree to disagree.

I like the vintage Panerais, and the only thing that has stopped me from buying one is the modern Panerais. That's it. I don't want to bump into a guy on the street with a genuine Ferrari Panerai who says "Nice watch, I've got one just like it ... isn't it cool?" If I wear a rep, it's because of the watch it is and what it conjures up, in spite of obviously never being able to afford a PO, a Sub, a GST ... etc., and these days, I just feel the Panerai brand is about to collapse.

We'll see if I'm right or wrong in the coming months.

I'll answer your other points shortly, as I can't have explained my point clearly enough given your response.

It was ment as a joke. I know you have sayed you liked some Panerai Watches int he past.

On the newer models, I have to agree with you. It isn't the same style it used to be.

I don't get what you are saying about seeing someone else wearing the same watch, why would you ever own a Rolex if that is a concern? You are twice as likely to run into a Rolex owner than you are to run into anyone who even knows what a Panerai is.

I guess that is what I am not getting. With the exception of not likeing the newer models, you are ranting about Panerai doing the exact same thing that Rolex has done for years.

Kliink, You would.... :lol:

Just kidding my friend... :twisted:

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
enzo said:
Talk about strawman logic ... you are all over the place with this. 1st your statement about liking Vintage ... all vintage Panerai are 47mm or LARGER, they weren't made for retail, they were military watches designed for function and did not consider the size and LOOK of it on someone's wrist.

You state you'd like to see a 40mm Vintage, THERE IS NONE. You are participating in the same bloody marketing that you are complaining about. By taking an existing design and REMAKING it to a target market.
Thank you for attributing a much greater Panerai knowledge to me than I actually have.

What I call vintage style is the clean square design with a second hand to the left. My lack of PAM expertise is all that is at fault here, not my argument. You guys are the experts.

Frankly your statement reeks of nationalism and stereotype and really doesn't belong; your personal bias shows in an ugly way here.
Woah there! Stop one second. Now I feel that you are just picking on me. I realise that one should never, ever argue with mods because that way lies madness, but are you sure you're not just over-reacting there?

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
enzo said:
I just don't like people being described in pat, cartoon caricatures, especially when it's based on stereotypes that my parents generation would utter
I stand by my statement. I believe you were reading into it something I never put in. I suspect you're hypersensitive to prejudice, for whatever reason, and my clumsy writing left enough for you to infer a point that wasn't there.

If you knew me, you'd know I'm no bigot. I'll avoid pointing out the obvious prejudice in assuming I am. :D

moggio

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/06
damn...everyone already give their views...so now chillss ..and relax..with your watches...ROlex / PAM / TAg/ Omega / Seiko or Casio....if dont have ...just chill with your beutiful wrist...

:lol:

Roeod4

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/3/06
Ahhhhh, I understand a little more now.

So you refer to the Marina/historical (PAM 111) style as vintage. That makes much more sense now. Yea Pugs, the real vintage watches are HUGE! I like the design and style, but they are just too big for me.

I think you should try a PAM out, I know you are trying to make a trade, before you make any more judgement on the brand. Truth be told, I thought they were all butt ugly when I first started looking. However, when you get one on your wrist it is a different story. Now I really like just about all of them. My favorite is still my first, the PAM 192. Titanium and Steel together in a very slick combination, blue hands and perfectly working chronos.....it is a beautiful watch.

If you can't make the trade or you just decide to buy one....take a look at the 005 (w/ logo on dial), 111, 001, 114 (white dial), 177 (titanium) or 195 (w/ logo and in PVD). I think you will like just about all of these and they can all be purchased with the Unitas C movement in them.

You like experiments, try this out and see if you start to look at Panerai in a different light. I know how easy it is to dislike many of the models, but once you get one on you may be singing a different tune.