• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Project "RWI Raffle Win"... a 1675 Build

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Thanks for expanding on the techniques deadpan. I agree with all your points. To counteract the glossy finish that coffee creates, you can spray or brush on matt lacquer/varnish, which can work well.

I only use bleach and light/careful sanding on inserts - I haven't found the need to play around with acetone (but I can imagine that some inserts might require it).

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
Yes
p0pperini - agree...the acetone is a recent addition- I found some inserts Didn’t respond at all to bleach (sat unchanged for 24hrs). Since then I have started lightly brushing with wire wool and wiping with acetone. Not sure the acetone actually does anything but inserts have responded much better since. Thought I read somewhere on here that some inserts have a lacquer that needs acetone to remove. Maybe I dreamt it!

The matte laquer is a good idea-have a bottle that could also be mixed directly with the coffee (but that would make it permanent). After your positive experience above with the blowtorch it inspired me to pull the dial back out of the 6538 above and try heating. I was so pleased with the result that the next step will be to spray with matte laquer as well.

Watchpocketguide42

Horology Curious
1/1/20
UK
Before starting the ageing you need to ask yourself what story your watch will tell. That's an important bit,you want your watch to be a story teller. Was your watch spend decades in a desert sun? Was it salvaged from a sunken ship? Or maybe sat in a dark safe for years? Once you know what you are trying to achieve, there are different ways to age the watch (case, dial, hands).

For example if a watch sat in the safe, the case will be in pristine condition, but lume will be darkened. Desert sun will bleach the insert, lighten a shade the dial colour, lume will appear yellowish.

Ageing watch is a lot of fun and everyone should attempt to destroy a perfectly fine watch once in their life :eek:

Some good points been discussed earlier regarding lume ageing, so I will add some that where not mentioned:
lume can be brushed with iodine (needs to be diluted a lot),
painted over with copic pens (these are fun to work with and you can actually choose the shade you want),
you can also bake hands and dial in an oven (this one is time and temperature sensitive - it's way too easy to overcook the dial to a point when paint starts to flake),
hairspray will also turn dial into matte and add a slight yellowing to the lume.
weathering kits are also fun to work with, especially if you are going for water damaged looks.

Nevertheless, all these methods will kill the lume, so another option is to relume hands and dial to look aged but retain glowing properties.

cjt202020

Renowned Member
Supporter
3/2/14
Copic pens orders, sounds up my street in terms of skill level. Lockdown is helping me develop a serious ‘buying of watch bits’ habit. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
Okay so I got it mostly together. The thing missing is the second hand. I didn’t realize I needed to get the long stem second hand. I bought a 2836 Gmt Hand set from yuki. I figured it would fit. I swear the aGmt Hand was too loose so I used a dg3804 hand I had. Then the seconds hand would not engage. I looked inside and figured out that the second hand stem is too short. Looked it up online and sure enough you have to buy a different hand than comes in yuki’s set. Why in the hell would yuki sell a watch hand set for the 1836 GMT which the second hand won’t fit? You can get the correct hand on raffles or helenarou. Is there an actual 2836 GMT? I thought they weee all hangzhou I’d they were GMT. Anyways kind of frustrated that the second hand doesn’t fit when yuki site said it’s for the 2836.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Okay so I got it mostly together. The thing missing is the second hand. I didn’t realize I needed to get the long stem second hand. I bought a 2836 Gmt Hand set from yuki. I figured it would fit. I swear the aGmt Hand was too loose so I used a dg3804 hand I had. Then the seconds hand would not engage. I looked inside and figured out that the second hand stem is too short. Looked it up online and sure enough you have to buy a different hand than comes in yuki’s set. Why in the hell would yuki sell a watch hand set for the 1836 GMT which the second hand won’t fit? You can get the correct hand on raffles or helenarou. Is there an actual 2836 GMT? I thought they weee all hangzhou I’d they were GMT. Anyways kind of frustrated that the second hand doesn’t fit when yuki site said it’s for the 2836.

There is not a gen 2836 GMT bro. There are some HZ6460s sold that have taller pinion center wheels for the second hand and don't need the longer collar second hand. I was just putting one together today. Ironically, the second hand that came with this one is a 5 digit lume plot size so I can't use it on my 6 digit. So I'm going to have to sand down a lot of the long collar on another second hand I have. Sometimes you can't win first time around!

8Pdvi.jpg

qGFGJ.jpg

qG0rW.jpg

qGRik.jpg

qGSLP.jpg

8PEFE.jpg

Last edited:

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Ironically, the second hand that came with this one is a 5 digit lume plot size so I can't use it on my 6 digit. So I'm going to have to sand down a lot of the long collar on another second hand I have.

Great job bro, that's some serious prepping for this kind of job. What for file utensil did you use? Almost looks like an eraser of some sort

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Great job bro, that's some serious prepping for this kind of job. What for file utensil did you use? Almost looks like an eraser of some sort

600 grit sanding stick bro. Perfect for this task. Not too aggressive but it takes it down pretty quick. You're right setting up takes longer than the job. But it's not bad, maybe 15 -20 minutes total.

I love these things, always finding new uses for them

https://www.esslinger.com/santaper-s...-sanding-belt/

There are kits too

https://www.esslinger.com/santaper-kit-fine-sanding-sticks-with-aluminum-oxide-sand-paper-belt/

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK

Agree - amazing tutorial there KJ2020, thanks for posting. Whenever I try something like this I always do it in an incredibly stupid way (in this instance I'm sure I would have just held the hand and attempted to file it, then got annoyed when I bent the hand beyond repair... However, I now feel a bit big and clever because I already own the same sanding stick as you (I came to this from small scale military model kits, so I find a lot of the tools I already owned come in useful).

BTW - for UK/EU members who don't want to order from the US, an equivalent to the "Santaper" branded sanding sticks and belts can be found on eBay by searching for "flexifile". And if you search under the actual brand name "flex-i-file" there's more useful sanding products.

Hey lawlessflyer, could you edit your post so you don't repeat the entire tutorial? It bloats the thread a bit! Cheers :)

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020 and deadpan

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
600 grit sanding stick bro. Perfect for this task. Not too aggressive but it takes it down pretty quick. You're right setting up takes longer than the job. But it's not bad, maybe 15 -20 minutes total.

I love these things, always finding new uses for them

https://www.esslinger.com/santaper-s...-sanding-belt/

There are kits too

https://www.esslinger.com/santaper-kit-fine-sanding-sticks-with-aluminum-oxide-sand-paper-belt/

Thanks mate! They remind me of my wooden clothes pins works

Reactions: KJ2020

Kalmine64

Patron
Certified
21/9/19
EU
hi guys, i've got a problem on my side with the insert falling of the bezel, doesnt 'clikc' properly in it.. any idea how can i make sure it stays in place? Insert might be slightly too shaved

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
hi guys, i've got a problem on my side with the insert falling of the bezel, doesnt 'clikc' properly in it.. any idea how can i make sure it stays in place? Insert might be slightly too shaved

This or any contact glue. As these can be removed with acetone if you want to change the insert later on.

17a57563c4b40af87b13e65dcc5a9932.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tione12

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
This or any contact glue. As these can be removed with acetone if you want to change the insert later on.
My personal preference is using small pieces of 3M double-sided tape. It's wafer-thin, sticks really enthusiastically but can also be removed if you're swapping bezels. You can buy it shaped ready to fit on an insert, but I prefer the far more cost-effective solution of buying a roll of it and cutting small pieces to fit.

BTW, the 3M tape is by far the most common method used by the factories to secure inserts. Every JFK and similar vintage piece I've taken apart has used it.

Last edited:

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
Just a progress photo. Waiting on long stem second hand. Also I used the dg3804 gmt hand which I did not age yet. 2836 hour and minute hand were baked to kill the lume and then used coffee to change the color. Matches dial lume plots well so I’m happy.