• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Problems with new GMTII-C Asian Incorrect Hand Stack

savage_here

18/3/06
Just got it yesterday and I have issues. Need a sounding board to see if it needs to go back.

Got it in yesterday and used the "Nightstroker" technique below to set date/time/GMT (found in another thread):

Here is how I set my GMT....

1. Lets assume that todays date is the 15th....(Which it is)

2. With the crown....set the date on your watch to the 13th....

3. With the crown....now rotate the hour and minute hands untill the date changes to the 14th....

4. Continue to rotate the hour and minute hands untill the time reads 12:00 PM....and leave those hands directly lined up at the 12:00 position

5. Now....adjust the GMT hand to the correct position that corresponds to 12:00 PM....in other words....set the GMT hand to 12 on the bezel....(Which is located at 6:00)

6. Now....pull the crown back out to adjust the hour and minute hand and advance the hands to 12:00 AM....

When you complete step 6....the hour, minute and GMT hand will all be synchronized at 12:00 AM and the date will change to the 15th....

Seemed to work fine and I wore it most of the afternoon and evening.

Took it off at bedtime and left it until morning (no winder). When I woke up this morning, it had stopped prior to midnight and the date (obviously) hadn't changed. So, I thought, well, maybe not enough wrist time to get a power reserve built up. No big deal, I'll wear it today and see what happens.

When resetting it for the correct time, the date behaved strangely. It didn't change at midnight and it didn't seem to change at the GMT 24 mark either. OK, again, very strange, but whatever. I used the above method again and set time/date/gmt.

Wore it all day and it seemed to be doing just fine. However at about 3:20 I looked down at the watch on my wrist and it said 3:01. But, the second hand was still moving. I reset the time again and it seems to be keeping time again now.

So, does this sound like a normal problem or something stranger? Should I just get on the horn w/ Josh now and make arrangements for another to be shipped out? Or, am I doing something incorrectly?

Opinions please.

Thanks.

Savage

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Sounds like a dodgy movement to me, pal. Unfortunately...

LegendofSpeed

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/06
i would say if you have a watch winder that you could put it on there and see if it's an issue with not enough power reserve for sure.. but i would say it's 90% likely that it needs to go back...

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
I had one of the "VIP" GMT's I bought from Tim. It was an Asian 21J and did the same thing you just described. I tried all kinds of different things, then tried to return it to Tim. Well, you know that turned out . . .

Picked the watch up a month later and it was working just fine. It still works just fine. I found that, when not wearing it, it would run fine when I laid it crystal up. It would stop on a winder and stop if I laid it on it's side. Quirky, but maybe just needed to break in a bit.

savage_here

18/3/06
Update:

The watch ran fine today, but just now (at 8:54 local time) I looked down and it's dead stopped at 8:44pm. The second hand is stopped at 33min. past the hour. The GMT hand is at 21.

I've taken a good look (under magnification) and it does not look like the hands are stuck on each other or on the dial or anything like that.

Here's Josh's response:

Too confusing .. Line all the hands to 12.00.. Move thru a few revs...... Make sure the GMT hand is in sync.. When you decide to stop.. move one more round to 4.30pm.. Quickset the date.. then move back to set the correct time.. Avoid doing quick change on the dot of 12.00 .. It will stress the centre wheels.

if the watch is stopping ..observe the needles. see if it is locking at some points.. Wind thru the needles many revs will help.

Savage

savage_here

18/3/06
Update #2, I did as Joshua suggested and here is the result:

The GMT hand tracks correctly with the turning of the hour hand (i.e. 1 revolution every 24 hours). But, the date is really messed up. Here’s how it went.

First 24 hour revolution, Date changed at Midnight
Second, Date changed at approx. 3am
Third, Date changed at Midnight
Fourth, Date changed at 11:50pm
Fifth, Date changed at 7am, but only ½ way (i.e. the datewheel was stuck in between numbers)
Sixth, Date changed at 11:55pm, but only the other ½
Seventh, Date changed at Midnight

Plus, even when the date changes correctly, it’s not centered in the date window, it’s like it’s not fully changed, only like 95%.

Thoughts???

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
sell it

fix it

dump it

contact dealer

hmmmm

at any rate, good of luckyyyyy

!