• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Problem with replacing a3230 with VR3230

conor

Horology Curious
17/5/13
Hello All,

I just received my VR3230 from puretime and asked my watch maker to replace the broken A3230 that is currently inside my GMF 36mm OP. The A3230 has a Gen Dial. He told me the movements dont match and the gen dial will not fit on the new VR3230. Can this be? I spent such a long time researching it and was suprised when he told me this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Dblscoot and shponz

shponz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
22/9/17
I’m curious if this is due to the dial feet not aligning with the new movement. If so, they could cut and align the feet with the new movement. Just my 2 cents.

Other than the dial aligning did they mention any other compatibility issues between the case and the movement?

Looking to do the same movement switch for my EWF OP 36 -

Last edited:

conor

Horology Curious
17/5/13
I’m curious if this is due to the dial feet not aligning with the new movement. If so, they could cut and align the feet with the new movement. Just my 2 cents.

Other than the dial aligning did they mention any other compatibility issues between the case and the movement?

Looking to do the same movement switch for my EWF OP 36 -
Good question. I will go back there tomorrow and ask. I didn't ask too many questions as he was able to repair the SA3230 for 20 euro. (Was just a loose screw).

Reactions: shponz

shponz

Certified
22/9/17
Good question. I will go back there tomorrow and ask. I didn't ask too many questions as he was able to repair the SA3230 for 20 euro. (Was just a loose screw).
Yea I dont see why this isn’t something they couldn’t do - unless its something they’re not comfortable with cutting and attaching dial feet on a dial.

Hopefully that’s it but looking forward to hearing what they say! Best of luck

shponz

Certified
22/9/17
Hey I was able to do some more research on this and I think I found the issue-

Check this post from a few months ago: https://forum.replica-watch.info/th...-36mm-126000-from-trustytime-review.10312038/

Seems the issue is that a VR 3230 uses a dial without feet - and it seems yours has feet and thats why your watchmaker is saying its not compatible.

If its a Gen dial and has feet I’m thinking maybe it’s for an older model before the Gen 3230 was put in OPs.

This is kind of a pickle because I think your options might be 1) Buying a Gen feet-less dial that is compatible with your movement and see if you can fit it in the case (I think this is what I would do). 2) Buying a VR 3135 like the post above says and living with a ghost date wheel (unless you get a watch modder that might be able to remove the date function from the stem). Or 3) Seeing if you watchmaker or another watch modder can remove the feet from your dial and figure out a way to attach it to the VR 3230 movement. This might be an interesting option but I’m sure this might add some complexity if there are additional steps to get it to work.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: conor

conor

Horology Curious
17/5/13
Thanks for all your research. It seems you are right.

To sum it up for others with the same problem:
1. It seems from your link, that the SA3230 inside my 126000 OP GMF rep is actually a modified 3130 clone.
2. The older gen 116000 OP used the 3130 and the newer gen 126000 uses the 3230.
3. My gen dial is from the older 116000 OP. Hence it fits the SA3230 (which is really a modified 3130 clone)

So the VR3230 will not swap directly into a SA3230 case while keeping the SA3230 dial.
But it is possible it works and just needs a new replacement dial (either rep or gen).

This is unfortunate as I have the older 3-6-9 dial which I Love. I will follow your advice and look into possibly buying a VR3135 and live with the ghost date function.

Thanks again for all your help. It was much more complicated than I thought.

Reactions: jp13abk and shponz

shponz

Certified
22/9/17
No problem! Happy to help since I know any info on OPs are super limited out there. Your summary is great and hope it helps out anyone out there looking to make any movement changes in the future.

Would love to hear what the outcome of this is. Might just get the movement changed all together now before my SA 3230 kicks the bucket. I’ve seen some Gen dials for the 116000 OP going for good prices on ebay so this might be my next investment if the VR 3130 works on this. I’ll do some more digging and see if i find anything else!

Please keep me posted! :)

jp13abk

2/8/22
Thanks for all your research. It seems you are right.

To sum it up for others with the same problem:
1. It seems from your link, that the SA3230 inside my 126000 OP GMF rep is actually a modified 3130 clone.
2. The older gen 116000 OP used the 3130 and the newer gen 126000 uses the 3230.
3. My gen dial is from the older 116000 OP. Hence it fits the SA3230 (which is really a modified 3130 clone)

So the VR3230 will not swap directly into a SA3230 case while keeping the SA3230 dial.
But it is possible it works and just needs a new replacement dial (either rep or gen).

This is unfortunate as I have the older 3-6-9 dial which I Love. I will follow your advice and look into possibly buying a VR3135 and live with the ghost date function.

Thanks again for all your help. It was much more complicated than I thought.
Very helpful and very concise.

Thanks both (@conor ,@shponz) for sharing the findings.

Reactions: shponz