• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pro II SA Bracelet

captben41

27/4/10
Hey guys,
I have heard about the new rep Pro II bracelets being very good. I want to source one for the time being but need to know what I should look for to ensure I am getting the latest model.

Thanks,
Ben

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Ben, honestly, they are a piece of junk. Get your hands on a GEN Pro II and you'll see what I mean. It's like driving a Civic, and then being handed the keys to an SLR.

captben41

27/4/10
I have heard really good things about the latest version Pro II's.

Obviously, I know that the gen would be better but less than $100 shipped compared to $350-$400 for a gen is significant.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
You can get the REPS for under $50 bucks. They sell for $9.99 on EBay unbranded. That gives you an idea of the quality. I also thought they were "decent" till I held a PRO II Gen in my hands. Take a walk to an AD and have them show you a GEN SA. You'll see what I mean. You already see the difference between the GEN and REP Pro Diver.

captben41

27/4/10
I'm actually wearing the rep OR today...I decided to keep it and actually like it a lot.

TheFrug

9/2/09
The V2 ProII is a pile of crap but I have heard from someone that owns a gen that the V3 ProII is very close to the gen. I have a V3 on the way and it should be here any day now once it arrives I'll let you know how the V3 compares to the V2 (if I had a gen to compare it to I wouldn't have a V3 on the way)

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
One of the 5 SA's Ive had was a V3. I really didn't see much difference to be honest. I know I sound like a broken record, but they are literally $5 bracelets. That's how much they wholesale for. The dealers mark them up because they have the Breit engraved on the clasp. Search EBay and you will see.

TheFrug

9/2/09
I'll be interested in seeing the difference when the V3 arrives. If it's not noticeably better than the V2 I dont need it as I have 2 SA's one on a v2 proII and one on an OR. If it's not noticeably better than the V2 then I might be looking for someone that wants to swap a strap for a bracelet lol.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
I'm going to setup a group deal for GEN Pro II bracelets !!! Get all of us on board with the GOOD stuff !!!!! :lolcina:

TheFrug

9/2/09
Got my V3 bracelet today. Like BMW says, it's not vastly different from the V2 but it is definately better. I'd say it's about 1mm maybe 2mm thicker than the V2 and does look closer to the gen. It passes the glance test better than a v2. You can spot the v2 as a rep even at a glance because it is too thin.

I compared my friends new gen at a glance and I could not see any difference. I'm sure under closer examination the v3 won't even come close but my friends gen was not coming off his wrist for a closer comparison.

The engraving on the clasp is also better than on my V2 but my V2 has had 2 years of abuse which could be a factor.

Bottom line is it's a rep and it does what it says on the tin, it looks like a gen to a casual observer but you are not going to get a gen equivalent for 70 bucks.

Personally I'm glad I got it, I'd love a gen but on my budget this is the closest I'm going to get in the forseeable future.

I don't hate it like I did the V2. Amazing what a difference a mm or 2 can make.

captben41

27/4/10
Got my V3 bracelet today. Like BMW says, it's not vastly different from the V2 but it is definately better. I'd say it's about 1mm maybe 2mm thicker than the V2 and does look closer to the gen. It passes the glance test better than a v2. You can spot the v2 as a rep even at a glance because it is too thin.

I compared my friends new gen at a glance and I could not see any difference. I'm sure under closer examination the v3 won't even come close but my friends gen was not coming off his wrist for a closer comparison.

The engraving on the clasp is also better than on my V2 but my V2 has had 2 years of abuse which could be a factor.

Bottom line is it's a rep and it does what it says on the tin, it looks like a gen to a casual observer but you are not going to get a gen equivalent for 70 bucks.

Personally I'm glad I got it, I'd love a gen but on my budget this is the closest I'm going to get in the forseeable future.

I don't hate it like I did the V2. Amazing what a difference a mm or 2 can make.

Thanks for the review man. I ordered a V3 bracelet but have not received it yet. I refused to come out of pocket another $400+ for a replica watch. At the end of the day it is still a rep even with a gen bracelet.

Here are QC pics of my V3 bracelet from Lay.

30370.jpg

30372.jpg

30374.jpg

30375.jpg

30378.jpg

TheFrug

9/2/09
My thoughts exactly, for $400 I could get a Swiss 7750 including fitting and that for me is a far bigger bang for my buck than any bracelet.

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
The the movement isn't going to make any difference in the feel, look, or reliability of the watch. I understand where you're coming from, but honestly if you've never felt the gen bracelet on your wrist, you're missing out. It's the first and possibly only upgrade I will make to my V3 SA (if it ever arrives).
That being said, that V3 bracelet looks pretty awesome.

TheFrug

9/2/09
I disagree that a genuine Swiss movement will not make any difference in the reliability of the watch, I would argue that it is the single best upgrade you can make. I'm talking about sourcing a genuine Swiss eta not the "Swiss" movements that some reps come pre fitted with.

I guess it depends if your rep is considered a timepiece first and jewelry second, or the other way round.

The Asian 7750 is pretty decent movement but there is simply no comparison to a genuine Swiss movement. It is recommended to service a Swiss movement at least every 5 years. You'll be damn lucky to make an Asian 7750 last 5 years without a service, my last one managed 2 years before curling up it's toes.

In fact in 2 years my SA is on it's 3rd asian movement and the chrono hand slipped on that pretty quick and the reset arm slipped out of place. Compare that to my 20 year old Swiss watch that has never been serviced and still keeps perfect time.

No doubt a gen proII is a thing of beauty but my reps are time pieces first and jewelry second. I won't always want the full bling, sometimes I'll wear it on rubber or leather, but I'll always want to know the right time :)

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
If you buy a GOOD 7750, and have it serviced and sealed when you buy it, as opposed to when it breaks, it will last just as long in most cases. But everyone's opinions will vary.

TheFrug

9/2/09
An Asian is pot luck whether you get a good one or a shite one, a genuine Swiss is going to be a good one every single time. An Asian regularly serviced will have a decent lifetime but it will be a miracle if you get 20+ years out of it without a service.

Even a serviced Asian is not built to the same strict standards as a genuine Swiss movement. Purely down to the difference in the quality of the parts the Asian will need to be serviced more often and the parts will not last as long. Over the lifespan of a watch it is more cost effective to replace the Asian with a Swiss than it is to continually service the Asian.

Just like the bracelet, dial etc the rep movement may look close to the real thing but it's just a copy made under poor conditions with limited (if any) quality control. If they can't get the dial right or something as simple as a bracelet what chance is there that the balance wheel and all of the other intricate and tiny parts of the movement are 1-1 and spot on?

Which do you think is going to have the biggest impact, a slightly off bracelet, or a slightly off balance wheel, mainspring etc?