• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PPF v2 5712 Teardown and SWF dial install

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
So as some of you may know I am a watchmaker, but I've worked on a couple of the 5712 movements now and wanted to share some insights. This movement isn't for the faint of heart.

Here is the v2, the person said that there is an issue setting the time.
31jTMJ.jpg

31jlRD.jpg

^^ To remove the dial, there are two friction fit pins near 12 and 6 that must be carefully and gently pried up after the hands are removed.

31jrb3.jpg

^^ Once the dial and hands are all off, this is how you remove the movement. There are tabs on the back of the movement that must be removed, then there are two screws (in red) that must be removed.

- To remove the entire calendar works, the easy way to access the keyless/etc is to remove the 3 screws circled in green. There are other gears under this mainplate but if you are careful when removing it is fine.

31j4bQ.jpg

31jwTS.jpg

^^ This is most (not all) of the calendar works removed. Honestly quite straightforward to assemble.

31jkqW.jpg

31jP9o.jpg

^^ [Excuse the photo quality, my microscope camera is not nearly as good as I would like) Here was the issue, the keyless clutch had a gear that was broken, not an uncommon occurrence in any movement. Replacement parts are expensive ($250) and no guarantee it will be an exact fit (though it looks to be), so back to the TD it goes per the direction of the person.

31jdDP.jpg

^^ A closer pic of the Calendar plate

31juBR.jpg

31jsUL.jpg

^^ A closer look of the case and dial

I also had a chance to install the SWF dial and a gen moonphase onto the V2 movement for my own personal watch. The Gen moonphase I bought had a crack in it so it wasn't the easiest to install, but I am very pleased with the result. The disc is quite thin and made of glass, whereas the V2 replica moonphase is a large gear with a sticker or paint on the center of it. I had to glue the moonphase glass gen disc straight on to the sticker. It slightly sticks up more so I had to remove one of the washers to ensure the moonphase would advance properly.

No pics on these, I lost the SD card that had photos for now, but the SWF dial did not have the dial foot hole between 12 and 1 like the PPF dial does. I had to file down the foot at 12 to make the dial lay flat. I didn't like doing this, but it seemed the safest option. The dial was then secured with the other dial foot and then dial stickers.

31j6oE.jpg

31jnD2.jpg

31j1Mt.jpg

31jy1F.jpg

31jB5s.jpg

31j8Tn.jpg

The SWF dial is a moderate upgrade, but worthwhile. The rounded and highly polished indices is probably the most significant part of the dial that is an upgrade, but it's very nice and gives the watch a more premium feel. The dial color is similar, but now just lacks any purple hues that showed up in photos.

The Moonphase is a huge upgrade. The darker moonphase makes the watch feel just a bit different and is a definite plus. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

zinduna

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
Very helpful, thank you!

The gen moonphase/ SWF dial look great together :cool:

ryantunna

I'm Pretty Popular
8/7/14
This seems like the sw v1 dial? The sw v2 has no purple and much more green. Also buff is releasing his 5712 dial within a week.

X24222

Known Member
Patron
12/1/22
USA
This seems like the sw v1 dial? The sw v2 has no purple and much more green. Also buff is releasing his 5712 dial within a week.
So many good options! We now need a SWv1, SWv2, and Buff side by side! 😂

Reactions: RX7GP

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Gold Patron
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Thanks for sharing, very useful.
Shame you lost the moonphase instalation photos, those are particularly interesting to me.
What do you mean by “had to remove more washers”?

mumum

Renowned Member
18/1/07
Great post bro…takes talent to do what you do. Appreciate the education and insight.

Agree that comparing the aw to buff dials would be useful.