• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PPF Patek 5711/r Link Removal Request

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Kevin took care of me! Definitely wasn’t as easy as people assumed (two watchsmiths attempted prior to Kevin). After a broken tool, some link grease and a ton of patience, he was successful. I guess the issue was the rg plating was done without sealing off the link holes properly causing the gold to get inside - essentially making the links rock solid.

Another reason for avoiding gold plated reps.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Eh, the risk to reward is worth it for me as I’ve gone through maybe 7 gold reps and never had this issue.

Consider yourself as fortunate, there are many accounts of members having flaking, peeling and fading issues with plated rep watches. One scratch and its game over.

kevBquick

9/10/18
These aren't as bad as people make out either. 5711R is a nice piece...sure links were a PITA. but now i have a process. not easy but doable.

my rose gold yacht master that i wore for 2months straight, daily duty, has no fading. i'm not careful with it. desk dive scratches haven't done anything to it.
i'm sure if I take a major hit to it it will but, it is what it is at that point. its like scratching the bezel of a steel 5711/aquanaut/AP.