• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Posting back to China

BigBoo

28/6/15
Many thanks to everyone for your help, I'm pretty confident now - I'll call the FBI if anything goes wrong! :laugh:

larger654

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/9/15
If it was mine I try fixing it myself .two many things can go wrong sending it back .Just my option

JLS1963

Renowned Member
22/2/15
I have had a few experiences sending back to China for repair.
When I first got into this hobby many many years ago, I had a watch dead on arrival. I contacted what I now know to be a NON trusted dealer and after many weeks of back and forth, they agreed to repair it. They asked me to send it back and provided an english only address. They told me not to use Fed Ex or DHL, but I thought I knew better, and used DHL anyway (cheaper than FedEx as I was inpatient and wanted to get it back as quickly as possible. I found out why they say NOT to use FedEx or DHL, as the Chinese Customs inspect these packages carefully. My $400 rep was confiscated by Chinese customs never to be seen again. I was out the cost of the watch and the $50 DHL fee. Sending by FedEx, UPS Express or DHL is extremely risky.
I had another situation, where I decided to send the watch back to China for repair by Registered Mail. Cost about $18 from USA to CHina. Watch was delivered 11 days later, and was signed for by the recipient. Watch was returned to me 6 weeks later safely....but the damn thing still didnt work lol. But, it was the safest way to get something back to CHina, and because I sent it registered mail, there was proof of delivery.

Last situation happened about a year ago. I had a watch delivered with a broken crown, and the hands fell off in transit. I didnt want to deal with it locally, so I contacted Dealer, and was told to send back by regular mail (they specifically told me not to use FedEx DHL, UPS). Because I successfully had sent a package to China by Registered Mail, I decided to use USPS Priority Mail service. I thought that would be as safe as Registered Mail. Again, I was wrong, as CHinese customs confiscated the watch.
My experience is being shared to hopefully help anyone who has any thought of not following the precise instructions of the TD. Send by regular mail, and if possible, spend the few extra bucks for registered service so there is proof of delivery. Dont attempt to use express service, or priority service as you are taking a large risk. Be patient. Only use a TD. Send signature required. If I ever receive a watch that is DOA, I will NEVER send it back to China again. I lost 2 of 3 watches. I admit that both times I didnt listen to the precise instructions of the dealer.But I would rather send the watch off to Katt or Vac and have it fixed, rather than risk Chinese customs ever again.
FOr the new members who may be reading this, many experienced members are suggesting to only send it back as a last option....there really is risk of never seeing your watch again.

Retina

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
18/12/14
sell it at a loss and move on. repaired watches might just break again. from experience, its not worth the risk. delayed shipping times and costs

BigBoo

28/6/15
sell it at a loss and move on. repaired watches might just break again. from experience, its not worth the risk. delayed shipping times and costs

I've considered this option and frankly it might be the best.
Could you advise on how I should price the watch considering the fault (one pusher needs re-attaching)
Approximately how much would this sort of repair cost do you think? (just so I can adjust the price accordingly)

BigBoo

28/6/15
I have had a few experiences sending back to China for repair.
When I first got into this hobby many many years ago, I had a watch dead on arrival. I contacted what I now know to be a NON trusted dealer and after many weeks of back and forth, they agreed to repair it. They asked me to send it back and provided an english only address. They told me not to use Fed Ex or DHL, but I thought I knew better, and used DHL anyway (cheaper than FedEx as I was inpatient and wanted to get it back as quickly as possible. I found out why they say NOT to use FedEx or DHL, as the Chinese Customs inspect these packages carefully. My $400 rep was confiscated by Chinese customs never to be seen again. I was out the cost of the watch and the $50 DHL fee. Sending by FedEx, UPS Express or DHL is extremely risky.
I had another situation, where I decided to send the watch back to China for repair by Registered Mail. Cost about $18 from USA to CHina. Watch was delivered 11 days later, and was signed for by the recipient. Watch was returned to me 6 weeks later safely....but the damn thing still didnt work lol. But, it was the safest way to get something back to CHina, and because I sent it registered mail, there was proof of delivery.

Last situation happened about a year ago. I had a watch delivered with a broken crown, and the hands fell off in transit. I didnt want to deal with it locally, so I contacted Dealer, and was told to send back by regular mail (they specifically told me not to use FedEx DHL, UPS). Because I successfully had sent a package to China by Registered Mail, I decided to use USPS Priority Mail service. I thought that would be as safe as Registered Mail. Again, I was wrong, as CHinese customs confiscated the watch.
My experience is being shared to hopefully help anyone who has any thought of not following the precise instructions of the TD. Send by regular mail, and if possible, spend the few extra bucks for registered service so there is proof of delivery. Dont attempt to use express service, or priority service as you are taking a large risk. Be patient. Only use a TD. Send signature required. If I ever receive a watch that is DOA, I will NEVER send it back to China again. I lost 2 of 3 watches. I admit that both times I didnt listen to the precise instructions of the dealer.But I would rather send the watch off to Katt or Vac and have it fixed, rather than risk Chinese customs ever again.
FOr the new members who may be reading this, many experienced members are suggesting to only send it back as a last option....there really is risk of never seeing your watch again.

Hi JLS1963

Thank you very much indeed for your detailed response, I think I need to weigh up the pro's and con's.
Sounds like selling on at a loss might be the safer and better option.

Slightly frustrating, but I'll take it one day at a time :bigwink:

renoz

25/5/12

Not my point of view but any how this is kind of never ending thread…..

Sending back the watch because of DOA, falling pushers and so on is also a way to give back sh¡t to TD and from TD to factories…. i' mean if if factories got 20% only returns, it might be an acceptable % of productions damages….. if they receive back 60% of damaged movement/watch, even TD are maybe going to put the pression on factories in order to better the quality….

So not sending back, for me it's like, "you sold me sh¡t?" not worries, i deal with, i even spend more money on it, and i after that i can't repair i sell it as spair parts for 1/4 of the value…… and factories keeps producing and selling sh*t since there are no complains…..

i personally prefer to have a misaligned DW with a good tested movement rather than a 1:1 Gen with always DOA movement…..
but every one got his priorities….
cheers

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
I'm not sure from Spain but I've sent back more than 15 watches to China now. Each time though I use EMS and NOT regular airmail. Never ever had a single problem - got back in 2-3 days and returned to me within a week or two each time.

I'm in Australia though and our customs dont give a rats about fake watches

Derkollegah

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/2/14
in spain there is a replica watch servicer! dont send it back! get it fixed and ask the Td for a little financial help

renoz

25/5/12
in spain there is a replica watch servicer! dont send it back! get it fixed and ask the Td for a little financial help

Where did you sent it?
Replicantres?
TD use to offer only a discount on next order....