• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PO "ultimate". Disappointing case back

HLB96

Known Member
26/5/07
This is a pic of the caseback that silix sent me of his stock. How does this compare. Also it appears to have some rough edges on the caseback. Is this normal?
This is the watch he is selling for $150, I am tempted to buy this and have it relumed, bezel fixed and gen hands added.

[/img]

maxse

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
4/11/06
hmm interesting...

Any updates on this matter? I wonder why the rep manufacturers are going backwards..
Same deal with SFSO, where the new font is not correct anymore. Very strange.

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
Only update I can offer Maxse is that I have two UPOs with two different casebacks... overall I'm happy with both... they both keep good time (after a few minor hiccups on the PO lites part)... I do wish that the dealers would update their stock photos as stock changes... but I guess thats neigh impossible if one dropships...

oh well.. one more risk of rep collecting I guess...

miquel

Known Member
6/9/06
I just received the UPO Lite from TWG. My caseback is a really fine checkered pattern, not the "coarser" check of my 4th gen 42.5mm PO.

See crappy picture taken at work...with crappy HTC Mogul

Overall though, I am 110% satisfied with mine.

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
@miquel

Thats pretty much where I stand with my UPO from Joshua...
Its caseback is a very fine checker pattern... much finer than either my (several month older) ETA UPO and 4th gen caseback...
And after a hiccup with the UPO movement clamps and screws migrating into my movement... *easily solved*... I am also 110% satisfied with my watch... Ok... mebee only 107% after the clamps/screws issue... but I still think its a great buy for the price.

truthrocket

25/6/07
Oilrogers,
Which one did you buy exactly from Josh? Was the logo crooked? Have they fixed that problem? Besides this caseback issue have there been any quality setbacks? Do josh and andrew sell the same Ultimate version? Does anyone sell a different ultilmate?
Thanks,
TR

Keyhole

Known Member
11/4/07
Here is a picture of a genuine caseback.

The Silix one background looks better than my UPO, but the horse is very rough in comparison. My UPO also has the not so corse background but a good horse.

miquel

Known Member
6/9/06
@ OiRogers....

I did have to align the dial when I got the watch. At first, you could tell something was a "little" off, but I wasn't sure what it was. So I took the caseback off, to inspect the movement holder, and saw the stem was a little crooked. I removed the screws and twisted the dial ever so slightly. And voila! The dial looked right.

My caseback looks smoother than that of the gen. It doesn't really bother me, though. I want to ask TWG about a CR caseback. I think they look good, but I don't like the 007 seconds hand.

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
truthrocket said:
Oilrogers,
Which one did you buy exactly from Josh? Was the logo crooked? Have they fixed that problem? Besides this caseback issue have there been any quality setbacks? Do josh and andrew sell the same Ultimate version? Does anyone sell a different ultilmate?
Thanks,
TR

I've purchased both the ETA UPO orange bezel and the "Lite" UPO black bezel/orange numeral version... also have a 4th gen 42mm orange bezel w/ ETA movement.... all from Josh.
Logo isn't off kilter on any of the three... the UPOs all suffer from the symbol having little "feet" on em... looks like some of the older gen logos.... I'm unaware of that issue being fixed by any of our dealers... the off kilter logo is hit or miss... I've been lucky with all of mine, others not so much... I'd suggest making certain your dealer of choice is willing to replace/repair if your unhappy with the logo placement... you could do it yourself, but it requires very very gentle work and a very steady hand.

My ETA version has run like a top since day one.. my Lite version had a setback with the movement clamps/screws working loose inside the case and getting into the movement... easily fixed.... Overall, if you can afford the ETA, I'd suggest going for it... But, I will say the Lite is one of the greatest bargins in the Rep world at this time.

Josh and Andrew (and pretty much everyone BUT silix/jay) sell the same ulitimate... I've not seen Jays 45mm PO up close, so I'm not certain what the differences are.

@miquel... good to hear you were able to fix your own watch so quickly and easily... your issue is all to common in the rep world... the alignment of the movement stem to the case is always something I check... being out of line puts undue stress on the stem itself and the entire movement as a result. And I agree... my UPO Lite caseback is most assuradly smoother than the gen, but then again the watch itself is so nice I really don't care... and in anycase I don't take the thing off to offer up for inspections.... most knowledgable watch people I've run across look at my UPO Lite and say "Nice, I like your Omega, classy looking watch."
And I share your aversion to the "007" seconds hand... makes a nice clean dial/face look too cluttered to me.

miquel

Known Member
6/9/06
And now when I put my 4th gen PO on, it looks like a ladies watch. I can barely bring myself to putting it on. My wife thinks I am nuts. But I can't even go a full day without the UPO on my wrist.

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
I will admit that my 4th gen is getting less wrist-time than it deserves... I too also *usually* find myself reaching for a UPO when I want a sporty watch.... but all my watches are getting less wrist time now that I own a Fiddy... Damn Pams are addictive.