• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PO rubber strap (silix) problems?

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
Hey,

about to order the rubber strap for my "Ultimate" PO...
Last questions:
- How can that problem be avoided?
porubber3.JPG

- Does Silix supply fitting springbars for the Ultimate PO now?
- Anyone wants to sell his to me?
- Anyone here thinks that the dust picking part is making it not worth buying?

Thanks, PZ

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
- If I buy the rubber strap without the "new" springbars... where will I get the ones needed for my Ultimate PO?

triple-d

Renowned Member
5/3/07
That photo looks very familiar!!! :D How did you get a picture of my wrist so fast?! :D :D

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
piratedzeus said:
- If I buy the rubber strap without the "new" springbars... where will I get the ones needed for my Ultimate PO?
Anywhere that sells 1.8mm x 22mm springbars.

I'm sure lists of suppliers are in all the other PO Strap threads, but just use your regular strap/parts supplier otherwise.

ps. Yes, this hobby requires a bit of effort. We need to accept that we're buying dodgy stuff that may need a bit of effort to perfect. If you don't have a friendly watchmaker nearby, it's time to find one. If you don't buy parts from Borel, Ofrei or Cousins, maybe it's time to start.

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
pugwash said:
piratedzeus said:
Anywhere that sells 1.8mm x 22mm springbars.

I'm sure lists of suppliers are in all the other PO Strap threads, but just use your regular strap/parts supplier otherwise.

ps. Yes, this hobby requires a bit of effort. We need to accept that we're buying dodgy stuff that may need a bit of effort to perfect. If you don't have a friendly watchmaker nearby, it's time to find one. If you don't buy parts from Borel, Ofrei or Cousins, maybe it's time to start.

What about that squezing out at the top problem? does this exist in the ultimate?

monty77

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/5/07
I'm still having problems with that .. even using 1.8mm spring bars ... mine UPO was from Josh, maybe the 2 just don't get along ?!?!

triple-d

Renowned Member
5/3/07
Ya.....the thing still keeps popping up. Just a bad strap. I shipped mine off to another member for free...he wants to play with it.

enrm6

Horology Curious
21/4/07
The truth is is that it fits fine, but, it is designed to flow out from the watch at an angle that matches up with the strap arms. If you have too small a wrist for the large PO and you use this strap and pull it tight so it is at right angles to the watch it will pop out as shown above. The key it not to have your strap too tight.

triple-d

Renowned Member
5/3/07
enrm6 said:
The truth is is that it fits fine, but, it is designed to flow out from the watch at an angle that matches up with the strap arms. If you have too small a wrist for the large PO and you use this strap and pull it tight so it is at right angles to the watch it will pop out as shown above. The key it not to have your strap too tight.

I'm calling BS on this statement I have 7.5 inch wrist. I jacked with this trap for 2 weeks. I did not OVERTIGHTEN the strap. The strap is JUNK!!!!

Jumbie

15/5/07
triple-d said:
I'm calling BS on this statement I have 7.5 inch wrist. I jacked with this trap for 2 weeks. I did not OVERTIGHTEN the strap. The strap is JUNK!!!!
I believe it's the springbars that are junk. I don't have this strap but have read lots of reports that the problem is solved by replacing the crappy springbars with better ones.

triple-d

Renowned Member
5/3/07
Jumbie said:
triple-d said:
I believe it's the springbars that are junk. I don't have this strap but have read lots of reports that the problem is solved by replacing the crappy springbars with better ones.

I had a 1.8 springbar on one side. It took both hands and both feet to get it in place....It DID NOT fix the problem. It helped, but the strap would still pop out.

The strap is junk.

enrm6

Horology Curious
21/4/07
triple-d said:
enrm6 said:

Perhaps your strap is different form mine. The one I have does not pop out and the only way I can see it popping out is if it is too tight. Maybe they have improved the design or perhaps the holes for your spring bars are too far away from the watch body. Your strap is junk, mine is not. There are more people out there in the forums who have this strap and are happy with it than those who have posted saying they have a problem.

triple-d

Renowned Member
5/3/07
enrm6 said:
triple-d said:
enrm6 said:

Perhaps your strap is different form mine. The one I have does not pop out and the only way I can see it popping out is if it is too tight. Maybe they have improved the design or perhaps the holes for your spring bars are too far away from the watch body. Your strap is junk, mine is not. There are more people out there in the forums who have this strap and are happy with it than those who have posted saying they have a problem.

EXACTLY.....Mine is JUNK.....yours may not be. So read what I called bullshit on....you say "THE TRUTH IS IS THAT IT FITS FINE".....THAT IS BULLSHIT. Mine didn't fit worth a shit, and the poster of the photo....his didn't either!!! SILIX says that 1.8 springbars are the answer.....NOT!!!! If youlead other members to believe that they fit correctly, are you doing thema service? Call a spade a spade, then other members will know what questions to ask the seller, and not be surprised by what they get.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Drill new holes perhaps?

This is just a suggestion and may or may not apply to everyone with this problem. Take it for it is worth to you. These aftermarket straps were molded to look like the original maybe even 1:1 after the original . Our Reps dont fit these straps because the people who made the watch cases did not drill holes close enough to the case for the rubber strap. In other words, somewhere down the line they did not anticipate having to drill two holes in each lug. (one for the rubber strap and one for the metal bracelet) So, my suggestion would be to drill another hole in each lug about 1MM apart between the existing spring pin hole and the case or however far you need to get it tight to the case. (1MM to the edge of the hole should do it) In addition, if you have the version of the strap with the die cast nipple in the center of the strap end link, you will need to drill a hole for that in the case. This is risky work though and not for the begin modder so be very careful or send it to a watch smith.

Good luck.