• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Please explain "cartel dealers"

Migge

Renowned Member
15/1/09
hk45ca said:
well, the numbers on the forums are big enough they are here and having to put up with buyers that are 1000 times more savvy/b***h... than the rest. if we weren't an important part of their business they wouldn't be here. they would pass right by us and sell to their millions of other customers that don't know come here from sickum now wouldn't they. :wink:

......and that is a friggin good point hk45ca!! Really broke it down to a simple level and nailed it!

Cheers
Mike

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
Ahhh, but we here only buy AAA, 1:1, gen Swiss....they buy junk... :wink:

Mobius

I'm Pretty Popular
If I remember right (and its been a while since I was in China last), to do good business with anybody in China you better have good Guanxi! To corner out competition in a certain market, this can proove to be extremely costly. They can try to push out other dealers but, if they don't give good guanxi, they risk loosing supplier support either partially or completely. In this industry, to corner the market on a rep watch would seem to me too much of a finacial risk if I was a dealer.

I'm sure it'll be only a matter of time before you start seeing the Sinn watch pop up else where at a price that is more comfortable for you.

Migge

Renowned Member
15/1/09
Maybe its just me, but I dont understad this word: Guanxi?

Care to explain?

Regards
Mike

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
fakemaster said:
I thought buying reps sponsored terrorism.

I thought fake watches were for fake people. Come in C3PO, I am a Robot not a real person. :lol:

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
From Wikipedia
''Gu?nxi'' describes the g?nqíng, a measure which reflects the depth of feeling within an interpersonal relationship, rénqíng, the moral obligation to maintain the relationship, and "face", divided into the concepts of "mian" (or "mianzi") meaning social status and prestige, and li?n, the idea of being perceived as a morally correct actor within society.

Migge

Renowned Member
15/1/09
R2D4 said:
From Wikipedia
''Gu?nxi'' describes the g?nqíng, a measure which reflects the depth of feeling within an interpersonal relationship, rénqíng, the moral obligation to maintain the relationship, and "face", divided into the concepts of "mian" (or "mianzi") meaning social status and prestige, and li?n, the idea of being perceived as a morally correct actor within society.

Thanks R2D4, its not always that easy beeing a slow swedish guy :wink:

// Mike

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
No worries Mike! You think your slow, I had to shut down RWI just so I could be the fastest. JK, not really. I am usually the slow one. :wink:

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
A lot of this sounds familiar to my world econ class back in college.

R2D4 said:
Here are the local buyers at the beach. They will head to the market to buy reps after a day in the sun. They dwarf our numbers. :wink:
ChinaBeach.jpg

:shock: This is just f'n crazy!! :shock:

fakemaster said:
I thought buying reps sponsored terrorism.

Well if we buy from someone in the USA some of that $$$$ will possibly wind up in terrorist hands as well.
Ask Michale Moore what he thinks of the connection between the Bush and Bin Laden families.

Mobius

I'm Pretty Popular
Guanxi in business is kind of like acceptable bribery or kick backs. China does have a law that prevents Chinese businesses from demanding too much guanxi but, it doesn't stop them from accepting more (if it is offered) or keep them from changing their mind and going with some one else (if they feel they can get more elsewhere or do better business elsewhere).

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
Migge said:
Maybe its just me, but I dont understad this word: Guanxi?

Not to minimize R2's definition, but the way I think of guanxi is that it means "consequence".

For example, when my little sister screams to her mother, "there's a bug in here!" she gets an answer: "mei guanxi!" (mei being a negation word). So what she's basically telling her is that this bug is of no consequence.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
I think we are loosing the subject.... of the OP

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis
In 2007 the "fake" market was over 700 billion world wide. We are SMALL potatoes. However we do influence the nicer reps. But are we buying in enough numbers to generate even a small percentage of the 700 billion?

Lets be generous and say that between all the forums there are 30,000 unique people. and that these 30,000 buy 3 reps a month at an average $250 a rep. Thats 7,500,000 dollars per year. Thats 1.07% of the total.

Are we a big deal to our dealers? Yes. Are there dealers that make our dealers look small potatoes? Yes. Do our dealers operate multiple sites, and sell at different prices on other sites? Yes.
Go to Dhgate or Beltal and look around, if you buy these watches in huge bulk the cost you can get each watch down to is stupid.

Granted the 700billion number isnt all watches. If watches is only 100billion of it, that still is only 7.5% that we contribute. And thats IF 30,000 people buy 3 watches per month at $250 each all year.

slooowr6

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/8/09
Mobius said:
I think Consequence is "y?n ?u? ?u?n xi"

"ài mèi ?u?n xi" I think means ambiguous relationships

Off topic alert. :wink:

There should be plenty on Chinese on this board. :) I'll take a stab at this.
You both are correct based on the conext the word "Guanxi " is used. The meaning of "Guanxi" depends on the context it is used. In business world the closest I can think of is "how well you are connected". Let say the CEO of a company is your brother in law, so you can get the contract that's because you have "Guanxi".
In the bug in the house scenario, "mei guanxi" is more close to "it's ok".
"Guanxi" can be use is a lot of different ways. ^_^

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
hk45ca said:

Exactly how I imagined the crew :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I honestly don't think that fake watches represent that much in the whole market of counterfeits : there are so many luxury items to replicate (clothes and all their accessories), but also medicine, car parts and very common daily life articles... In the end all these are only figures based on guess from industrials, there is no real way to know the weight of this business.