• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Planet Ocean 8500 45.5: loved the rep so much, I bought the gen!

ernien

Renowned Member
23/9/12
Ontario, Canada
After finding a good deal on a second hand gen, I couldn't resist! I just wanted to share a really quick noob comparison of my gen and my rep from Perfect Clones. I know much of this info has probably been stated before but I just wanted to share my input after learning so much from all of you!

attachment.php

The lack of AR on the rep has been mentioned a million times before but is really noticeable when side to side. The pearl on the rep is slightly larger, whiter, and has less metal trim around it. One thing that struck me was the difference in bezel color. The rep is more of a dark charcoal whereas the gen has an almost a slight bronze hue to it. As for the date wheel, the gen appears to have metallic numbers and are slightly raised as opposed to white and flat. The Omega symbol and fonts all appear accurate on the rep. The extra depth and texture on the gen dial can be seen below.

gen
attachment.php

rep
attachment.php

gen
attachment.php

rep
attachment.php

Overall, the face of the rep is impressive, with proper AR it will be incredible. I had to look long hard to find inconsistencies on the dial.

From a side view, the rep is very well done. All I could find were that the engravings on the crown and HE valve are slightly deeper on the gen. From the case shape, to the valve placement, to the notches around the dial, all appeared accurate to the gen. The gen's dial is a little firmer to turn and with no play in it.

As for the case back, like it has been said before, "Liquidmetal" has to go and the counterfeit symbol moved. I also notice the movement on the rep is reversed with the mainspring facing the top rather than bottom. It's difficult to get too critical as the 8500 is a work of art, and how do you rep that. It would be nice to see the spelling mistakes fixed and maybe the gold parts painted black.

Overall, the rep really is fantastic, I've tried to point out some of the differences but I could go on all day about what's perfectly accurate. it has so much going for it but the lack of AR is really its biggest shortcoming. It's scary, with a few minor tweaks of the rep, maybe I'll be regretting buying the gen!
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Congrats on the gen buddy! Totally worth it, such a beauty!!!

Thanks for the pics and the comparison also!

alucard666

I'm Pretty Popular
14/1/10
wow... enjoy the watch. doubt if you will regret it... a gen of this quality is something you keep and cherish for ever and maybe even pass down the to next generation. I love the omega my grand father passed down to me even if it totally beat up.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Cool mate, lovely gen, congrats! Goes great on that rubber strap. Enjoy!

Bomba

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/08
Congrats, I'm dangerously close to doing the same thing myself....

ericb196

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
18/5/11
congrats for these nice watches

m3amg

Horology Curious
8/12/09
Thanks for the comparo and congrats! can you check to see if and how well the gen strap fits on the rep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsmdave

Renowned Member
15/1/11
Congrats on the purchase of the gen. I am really impressed at how close the "sparkle" of the dial is between the two. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said all this rep needs is some better AR. That's about the only flaw that I can see getting fixed. As for the case-back to me it doesn't matter what it says. I mean I don't really understand why they put Liquidmetal on the case-back but it doesn't bother me. This is the way I see it. The only way someone else is going to see the back is if I take the watch off my arm and purposely show them.:D:

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Congrats! Looks fantastic!!

It would be nice to know if the rep bracelet fits the Gen..... :thinking:

And while you're at it, try to see if the Gen crystal, dial, bezel and movement fit the rep case also. :lol:

ernien

Renowned Member
23/9/12
Ontario, Canada
I appreciate all the compliments, definitely no regrets with the gen. When I get a chance I'll check if the bracelet and strap are interchangeable between rep and gen.

ldegeneve

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/1/12
The lume color on the gen dial looks whiter too. Did you notice that side-by-side?

Asheron82

I'm Pretty Popular
11/6/10
awesome comparo, makes me wana get the gen too! but i think the rep would suffice in the meantime! CNY holidays are ending soon, time to contact my TD!

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
Awesome comparo mate!
Btw is that rep the 45mm version?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2