• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PCTeam*}The Last Steps to the Gen(Part II)-Crown-Pin gasket-Gears-Wheels&Engravings

acharria

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/10/09
You know you now have all of us with a magnifying glass looking our movements... this is insanely small.... I won't ever notice that by myself..

Really.. polishing in the crown & rachet wheels??.. thats awesome...

now, is very easy to spot fake watches..

Great work mate..

stonesix

20/9/12
ALE, this is insanely interesting to read.
As an engineer myself doing failure analysis, your capability to details is amazing.
How lucky we are to have you here analyzing the Pam. :thumbup:

korneevy

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
26/12/10
So... closed caseback it is ;)

Precisely my point, why bother with all this effort if you can just slam a steel caseback on that 005 and be done with that...I don't have any see through caseback reps, really mo point...but I can appreciate if someone is capable of doing this on their own, great little project, on the other hand, paying upwards of 1k for same done by a mod is pure insanity imo.

marlin2284

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
1/2/12
I'd never spend anything close to 1k on a rep, regardless mods or not. You can have a beat up 000 for 3.5k which with a bit of love and care will serve you for life, rather than something that has zero to nil lasting value ....

The reps made today are not your grandfathers rep. if serviced and also taken cared of they will last just as long. The Asian movement where not as robust as the ETA are still good enough that if properly maintained will last longer than the watch will be in your collection. As for value appreciation, if the timepiece is rare enough and built right it will hold its value and in some cases appreciate in value. Take Davidson and EL's old school watches, if not for the new noob watches, were selling and in some cases are still selling for more now than when they were introduced years ago, so yes in some cases there is lasing value.

The question on the high price, well in my case that price would only be for a Swiss ETA movement watch that would rival the gen in robustness and longevity. When I build the Swiss ETA version of my watches, 90% of the movement is ETA. I don't need to tell you how hard it is to source ETA parts and how rare they are getting, hence the higher cost.
SETA127mods2_zpseff48cf2.jpg

Not to mention all the time and craftsmanship to do all the mods properly. Any one can buy a closed case watch, but for me and I am sure many others, what attracted me to Panerai was the open case back and the beauty and simplicity of the movement and now with all their new in house movements the hidden complexity of a movement that in looking though the rear crystal still looks simple.

These are no longer those cheap Canal Street replica watches that people were ashamed to wear, these are rare fine timepieces with replicated Panerai adornments to mimic the real thing at a price that most regular people can afford. Where not valued anywhere near as the real thing at a .5% cost of its genuine counterpart a good value for those of us who appreciate the hobby and how far it has come. :cheers:

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Hi marlin
It really is a good proposal
I'm going to include it in PAM GUIDE of PAM 127

Thanks for sharing it

ALE

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
:thumbsup:

Epic stuff again ALE :pam:

Can we call you Dr. Pam? :p

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
:thumbsup:

Epic stuff again ALE :pam:

Can we call you Dr. Pam? :p

If you call me Dr. Pam
How would you call those who deserve it more than me?
yourself included

ALE

Pam1234

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/2/13
Hi, I'm a new to this forum and hv really learnt a lot the post.. Swan neck, incabloc....etc. You guys a just SUPERB. I've a rep. PAM 390 bought from HK last year, not very sure from N or H. Looks 1:1 external and can't wait crack the case when I hv the right tools....:thinking:

mt666tm

Renowned Member
2/2/10
For those with Noob crowns geeking out about the tooth sidewall thickness, it is possible to mod the Noob crown to look more like Gen / H-Factory.

Do some careful grinding on low RPM with a dremel + small cylindrical grinding stone with fine grit, and some sanding to put a decent finish.

Noob crown is now like H/gen :ninjastar:

IMG_20130224_140848_zps1a5f6c7a.jpg

To compare to pic from OP:
PAM111V3-CGCOMPARISONHMAKERNOOBcopiar.jpg

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
For those with Noob crowns geeking out about the tooth sidewall thickness, it is possible to mod the Noob crown to look more like Gen / H-Factory.

Do some careful grinding on low RPM with a dremel + small cylindrical grinding stone with fine grit, and some sanding to put a decent finish.

Noob crown is now like H/gen

Seemingly you have made a good job. Congrats

But with these tools you have taken a great risk to damage your crown.
You are very skilled with your hands
I don't encourage people to do the same.

The correct way is to use a lathe and make in this machine the removing of the material. A quite easy job for a modder fitted with a lathe.

I would like to see a macro shot of your job with the crown removed and showing the inner of the crown

Anyway it seems you have made a damn good job mate !!

ALE

mt666tm

Renowned Member
2/2/10
Yes, unless you have a very steady hand then do not try this... You can place a small circle of tape in the dish to protect it if you go a little too far.

Because I used a stone and my hands to hold the watch/dremel I think when we get down to very macro level the inside edge now has more of a ' > ' shape rather than ' = ' . This is not visible to the naked eye or even in a 4x loupe, but I did apply more pressure to the outer edge than closer to the dish so that's why I assume the profile to be as such.

In any case it allows the outer sidewall to be smaller and therefore not reflect as much light, so it appears to be just like Gen.

I only have a phone camera, so I can't get any closer with a pic. I will try to take a pic with a better camera when possible...

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Yes, unless you have a very steady hand then do not try this... You can place a small circle of tape in the dish to protect it if you go a little too far.

Because I used a stone and my hands to hold the watch/dremel I think when we get down to very macro level the inside edge now has more of a ' > ' shape rather than ' = ' . This is not visible to the naked eye or even in a 4x loupe, but I did apply more pressure to the outer edge than closer to the dish so that's why I assume the profile to be as such.

In any case it allows the outer sidewall to be smaller and therefore not reflect as much light, so it appears to be just like Gen.

I only have a phone camera, so I can't get any closer with a pic. I will try to take a pic with a better camera when possible...

Good idea the small disc of tape to protect the dish
I guessed the "< " and impossible to avoid it just with a Dremel.
As you said: a good shape and thickness in the outer sidewall is enough.

I'm sure you have got a very good job

ALE

Choi

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/2/14
research rep of pam, you clearly show me what rep is.
thank you thank you.

3amigos619

Horology Curious
22/7/14
Quick question, can anyone tell me how to purchase screws for the bridge that protects the crown? REP i purchased is missing one, and it moves a bit with only one screw .

Thanks all.

Joe