• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PCTeam*} DSN PAM 036 pictorial review - Pt.1 [pics heavy]

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
DSN Luminor Marina Militare
PAM 036

A review in two parts

PART.1 - Out of the box

This review is meant to be the first of two parts. Here I will try to focus on evaluating the rep currently offered by Davidsen as it is OOB while, in the second part, I will hopefully to show the same watch after some modding. I have not started working on this watch yet but I have a plan ;) so the results are still uncertain. Only time will tell :)

THE GEN

The 036 marina militare is one of the most legendary vendome watches after Panerai Firenze was sold to Vendome in 1997.
Following the successful launch of Panerai PAM040 (a mysterious luminor marina model, black dial with tritium lume and titanium case) to test the market in EU, USA and Japan, Panerai/Vendome announced the release of this 200 pcs limited special edition in 1999. PAM 036 unlike its predecessor features a tobacco dial, but shares with it the tritium lumed sausage dial. It's the last model released with such luminous material which develops a unique patina over time and gives a character to the models using it. It is also the first model featuring the "marina militare" inscriptions on the dial after the pre-v 5218-202A.
Fun fact is a few examples with luminova (L SWISS L) dial have been spotted through the years (and today Panerai shows such dial on his website!). This is most likely due to the release date being so close to the date Panerai switched production to luminova, thus no spares have been produced and a few dials might have been exchanged with L SWISS L dials during service. Seeing how desirable and collectible (and expensive) the T SWISS T gens are nowadays, I can only imagine how pissed one of those owners can be :)

THE REP

Model: PAM 036
Maker: Davidsen (DSN)
Movement: Asian 6497 clone
Dealer: Davidsen

Just one word to describe how dealing with David is: great! His shipping is the slowest on earth, but I won't get tired to stress how nice, competent and professional he is with his watches. It took almost a month for this watch to get to Italy, but as you will see it was well worth the wait :)

DIAL

I'm starting this review from the dial because it has recently been updated and, with the exception of a nice post by HugoP on RG, there has been very little discussion about it. How wrong have we been! This is an awesome improvement on his previous dials (check older version here - thanks to shelby1501). The dial now has no outline around the numerals and indices and the look is now very close to the gen dial.
The indices and numbers have a warm yellow tone with a bit of glossy finish, the mix of yellow indices, white text, tobacco dial color and titanium case is out of this world. Definitely one of my all time favourite color schemes.
Let's see what are the differences with the gen dial:

GEN

REP

GEN

REP

As you can see the gen dial has overall deeper colors, the yellow is more saturated and the brown of the dial is a deeper tone. DSN's dial also seem to have a bit of a green hue. The MARINA MILITARE LUMINOR PANERAI inscriptions fonts are slightly smaller, there's more space between one letter and the other. Some very fine differences in numbers shape that would need to overlay the pics to be seen clearly.
In gen dial the walls around the numbers and indices engravings are polished, an effect that's missing in the rep.
All in all I'm impressed by the accuracy of this rep dial and totally in love with its look :)

CRYSTAL AND HANDS

Davidsen's sapphire has great clarity, even without AR treatment. Crystal height is a tiny bit too tall imho.
Hands are a certainty, very well made with great texture and a nice pale yellow color that's perfect for this non-matching watch. Hands are flush with CP, but the pinion should be flattened and polished.

CASE

GEN

REP

Davidsen's case shape is overall very good imho, the lugs might need more curve on the bottom side, and the four corners of the case should be sharper. On the other hand lug holes placement is good, distance between the lugs and the upper part of the case is right, bezel looks good and its base has the correct height. In the upper part of the case the curves are sharp and well defined.
Anyway, there are members way more experienced than me about these shapes, I will leave further analysys to them to confirm or deny my observations.
The case finish could use a bit more attention instead, the brushed finish is a bit too rough and as you can see in close up pics there are some machining marks and some residues of production left on the case that will have to be removed by hand.

CROWNGUARD

The crownguard looks pretty good to me. CG pin placement is good (finish could be perfected as it is not perfectly flat), lever tip is a bit too far from the case and should be a bit rounder, inner CG cutouts are slightly too round (even if gen B series CG doesn't feature the sharp cutouts we're used to in contemporary CGs).
Gen crown looks to be slightly polished while rep looks blasted.

CASEBACK

GEN

REP

Davidsen's 036 caseback is the only available option for a 036 build. All the inscriptions are there, but some fonts are a bit messed, especially the OFFICINE PANERAI engraving has too tall (or maybe too narrow) fonts with wrong shape. The fish, the TITANIUM and 300m inscriptions look closer to the gen.
Also this is the only case set featuring the engravings on the back of the case. OP 6513, BB number and production number are correctly placed and font is similar but a tad too fat.

The movement here is a standard asian 6497, decorated with DSN's thin plates. Once again the result is nice, the PANERAI engravings look crisp enough and the golden OFFICINE PANERAI FIRENZE engraving on the side looks to be the correct gold color although a bit too big. Of course it's quite noticeable that gen movement features a Y incabloc and, even more, the jewels have a gold plated outline that give a unique look to the movement.

STRAP

A special mention is due to the strap I mounted on this watch. It is a Di Stefano "Perfetto" (which obviously means "perfect"), it's made of lamb skin and is A W E S O M E !!!!
Really, this leather is just so smooth, it has such a rich color and it's evident that it will develop an awesome patina with time that it's quite difficult to describe.
I was lucky enough to see one on offer recently and snatch it up immediately. Any strap lover should do the same and have one asap, this is indeed one if not the best strap I ever tried (and I tried a few...).
Great job Simona and Chris, glad to have you on board!

CONCLUSIONS

I have tried to be extremely picky reviewing this watch, but the truth is that I am very impressed by it. I had a few watches from Davidsen this year, mostly pre-v, and this has anyway been a surprise. Great looking case, good case back, great CG, and most of all a great looking dial make this a watch that should not have passed practically unnoticed until now. Good work DSN, highly recommended release!

Now a few more pics :)

Lume shot:

And a wristie!

As usual any input and comment is very welcome, I would be glad to update the review with anything I missed.
Hope you enjoyed the reading and pics!

:cheers:

panasol

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/11
EU
great great great review

extremely well taken photos...what more can you ask for?

congrats mate

fanerai

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
1/10/15
Did David supply the watch with a Ti buckle? I was told about a month ago that he had no Ti buckles left in stock. Thank you.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
great great great review

extremely well taken photos...what more can you ask for?

congrats mate

Thank you very much mate :)

Welcome to the club buddy! :thumbsup: My review is so far from yours (don't have time to read it now but I will definitely), thanks for sharing.

Btw link to my thread doesn't work so I'll try again: https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/199747-DSN-PAM-036-short-review-PICS-HEAVY!

Err... of course it doesn't work. In the hurry of posting the thread I forgot to include the url between the tags :lol:
Thanks for posting it, I will include it asap!

Did David supply the watch with a Ti buckle? I was told about a month ago that he had no Ti buckles left in stock. Thank you.

No, I just checked and he sent an SS buckle, the one in the pics is from another watch.

Polebear

Known Member
10/1/13
Great, great review Kilo! And even greater pics!
I already got two watches because of your reviews, this may be the thirth!
Many thanks for all you effords!

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Added Shelby1501's review link.

Thanks [MENTION=84257]Luke Warm[/MENTION] and [MENTION=57248]Polebear[/MENTION] :)

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks Kilo

This is a nice review, with fantastic pics and awesome strap included

The most important improvement from DSN seems to be the rep sausage dial, in the same line as new sausage dials from Noob, H maker and KW. We can see the differences with a comparison with the also nice old review from Shelby1501 (thanks also to @shelby1501 for the reminder).

It is a shame the inaccurate fonts of dial inscriptions, a bit more rounded inner corners in CG, some inaccuracies on movement, Novodiac instead of Incabloc and some imperfections of finish in the caseset

Anyway a very good and nice rep

Rep points added

ALE

Abba Zabba Zoo

13/12/12
Thanks for sharing this fine review once again Kilo. And just a great choice of strap, which makes this watch come even more alive. Congrats -- curious how it will look like after the modifications!

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks for the rep points [MENTION=35350]ALE7575[/MENTION] :)
[MENTION=55514]Abba Zabba Zoo[/MENTION]
You know, I'm curious as well! :D
Let's hope those parts I'm waiting for arrive soon

fredl187

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
17/5/14
Three words to say:

another great review!

thanks for the great pics and the useful information again!