• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PART 2: ETA 2801 Lubricating and Assembly

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Reposted from RWC, our lighter sister.

Completion of 2801 service: Cleaning, Lubricating, and Assembly. I am learning this process and prone to many mistakes but enjoy sharing anyway. Many will consider this kind of stuff boring but as I progress into more complicated movements I am more than happy to share my adventures as I learn some very basic watchmaking techniques.

Also I could not take pics of everything such as taking off shock assemblies, balance assembly cleaning, also the mainspring is new and so I left it alone, these things are tutorials unto themselves.

Parts are stored in basket and ready for cleaning.
Removingpartsforcleaning034Small.jpg

Very inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner. I use L & R Watch Cleaning Solution and L & R Rinse Solution.
Removingpartsforcleaning037Small.jpg

Tools for Oiling: The black oiler is used for almost all tasks.
Removingpartsforcleaning031Small.jpg

Various types lubricants and grease. One Dip on the left for cleaning the balance.
Removingpartsforcleaning033LargeSma.jpg

Oil Tray.
Removingpartsforcleaning030Small.jpg

THE AMOUNT OF LUBRICANT PICKED UP ON THE OILER IS THE AMOUNT THAT WILL GO ONTO THE PART.
That is why picking up the oil is a critical part and must be done with a loupe.
ETA2801Reassemble-Lubrication001Sma.jpg

REASSEMBLE WHEEL TRAIN: The main wheel is place first. Then a medium amount of D-5 oil is placed at the barrel arbor. Wheel train is then re-assembled making sure the pivots clear the jewel holes.

Oiling the barrel arbor.
ETA2801Reassemble-Lubrication002Sma.jpg

With wheel train and bridge put on I will lubricate the pivots on the wheel train.
MAIN WHEEL: medium amount of D-5...3rd wheel medium amount of 9020 oil...4th wheel light amount of 9010...Escape wheel light amount of 9010.
ETA2801Reassemble-Lubrication004Sma.jpg

CLOSE-UP Oiling a Wheel Pivot.
ETA2801Close-ups013Small.jpg

Install Barrel Bridge and 3 screws also install click and click spring.
ETA2801Reassemble-Lubrication005Sma.jpg

Lubricate Barrel Bridge with a heavy load of D-5.
ETA2801Reassemble-Lubrication006Sma.jpg

Install crown wheel and screw. The crown wheel screw on ETA is a left hand thread. Clean with Rodico.
ETA2801Reassemble-Lubrication007Sma.jpg

Install Ratchet Wheel and lubricate one or two teeth with a single medium drop of D-5.
ETA2801Reassemble-Lubrication008Sma.jpg

FOR NOW we have finished the wheel train and barrel bridge. Now turn movement over and we will proceed to the bottom plate for motion works and keyless works.

REPLACE Canon Pinion.
ETA2801Close-ups009Small.jpg

NOTE: The canon pinion is steel and minute wheel is brass. The dissimilar metals allow the two wheels to run without lubrication.
ETA2801Close-ups001Small.jpg

Replace all keyless works components. As I install the keyless works I will place a little PML grease between the CLUTCH and WINDING PINION.
ETA2801Close-ups002Small.jpg

Canon Pin, minute wheel, and keyless works installed. The ETA keyless works is a real work of art.
ETA2801Close-ups003Small.jpg

Before installation of the stem we will lubricate with a little PML grease. Photo below shows where to lubricate stem.
ETA2801Reassemble-Lubrication018Sma.jpg

Stem installed and cleaned with Rodico.
ETA2801Reassemble-Lubrication017Sma.jpg

MOVEMENT TURNED OVER and the Pallet and Balance Assemblies will be installed.

Pallet Lever and Pallet installed.
ETA2801Reassemble-Lubrication016Sma.jpg

Slightly blurred photo but you can see where the balance pivot will be placed. Also the impulse jewel must be aligned with the pallet lever fork. THIS TAKES A LITTLE PRACTICE. :)
ETA2801Close-ups010Small.jpg

With balance in place balance bridge screw is properly secured.
ETA2801Close-ups011Small.jpg

COMPLETED LUBRICATION AND ASSEMBLY OF THE ETA 2801-2. :)
ETA2801Reassemble-Lubrication020Sma.jpg

Here is a link for the 2801-2 Oil Chart. :)
http://www.boley.de/pbilder/explosion/E ... %2D2%2Epdf

pineypl

25/6/07
Awesome, great shots and description.

I wish I had the stones to try that. :D

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
pineypl said:
I wish I had the stones to try that. :D

you only need two. :shock: ...really though you'd be surprised what you can do. Find a cheap old movement maybe even a pocket watch movement and give it a go. I'm watching an auction now for a older Valjoux 7734, see if I can get it cheap and try my hand on a more difficult movement.

pineypl

25/6/07
You are right, I should just try it.

Would you recommend a Chinese movement or an older ETA or Seiko? I have read sometimes the Chinese movements are really difficult to work on as sometimes parts will break under normal disassembly and reassembly.

Thoughts? Discuss.... :wink:

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
awesome cybee!

i gotta sign up for some classes. u learned all this from the online courses??????

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
crick said:
awesome cybee!

i gotta sign up for some classes. u learned all this from the online courses??????

yep that's right crick. Both TZ level 1 and 2, actuallly anyone with decent eye sight and steady hand can do it. You should take a crack at it. :D... Hey what ever happened to the mainspring from your pocket watch, were you able to get it fixed?

horologie_unitas

3/12/06
awesome, cybee ! RESPECT !
i hope soon you will offer some cleaning and lubing for non - complicated movements ? id love to see that !
honestly, you have improved so much !

PS....the movement in your 127 is not available no more ! good you jumped on it.....

best of wishes, cybee !

Steven

crick

1/8/06
cybee said:
crick said:
awesome cybee!

yep that's right crick. Both TZ level 1 and 2, actuallly anyone with decent eye sight and steady hand can do it. You should take a crack at it. :D... Hey what ever happened to the mainspring from your pocket watch, were you able to get it fixed?

i got it fixed, but the mainspring cap wouldnt stay shut. When it does stay shut, the barrel for some reason would gravitate out a fraction of a mm. Just enough to collide with the balance wheel. So i shoved... uh... a thin piece of paper cut out like a washer to push the barrel back down. It right now has a power reserve of meh... 12 hours? better than before when i first got it with 4 hr PR. then the spring snapped. I might go back in and check it out again and see whats up.

u know the jewelers tool kit i bought doesnt have a screwdriver thin enough for some of the screws? do u know a good source for those kinds?

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Thanks Steven your words are too kind. I love the 127 you sold to me, it's one watch I will never sell. I would love to tear down the movement on one of those but not until they stop running, so it could be a long while. But I did find a nice web site that shows instruction for disassembling a 6497. Oh well one of these days....take care Steven.

@crick: sometimes these crazy watch repairs can take a while for novices like us, but it sounds like you improved it at least with your homemade paper washer. My hats off to anyone trying these repairs. The screwdrivers that come with the course are the Bergeon 9 piece that sell for around $75.00, this is what I use, pay a little more but I think it's worth it for better quality plus the set is supplied with spare blades for each one, good quality tools are important and in the long run I think they last longer.

http://www.ofrei.com/page238.html

flyby75

14/7/07
Wow, thank you very much....looks like I have another hobby which involves watches to learn :D

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
cybee said:
I love the 127 you sold to me, it's one watch I will never sell.
l

Stefan I guess the message here is never say never. Hope you are still enjoying the watch. :D

Spiccato said:
Excellent!Thanks for posting.

Spiccato, Thanks for noticing. :D

exeekias

24/11/08
Great post Cybee! Thanks for posting it.
someday I'll give this a try.