• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Panerai PAM1314 GEN, VS & TTF Comprehensive Comparison

steve_theonewatches

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
27/6/16
Hello everyone, this is Steve, I'm back.

We have done a lot of comparison posts since last year, most of them are about Rolex models. This time, we finally came to my favorite tough guy style brand - Panerai.
There are many models of Panerai, so I had to choose PAM1314 as the protagonist of this comparison according to my personal preference. Although it is also a large-sized watch with a diameter of 44 mm, I think the overall feeling of wearing 1314 is not particularly rough. The white dial adds a touch of softness to it, making it both tough-guy and elegant. To use a Chinese idiom to describe it, it can be described as "hardness and softness".

Well, it seems to be a bit off topic, let’s cut the crap and get started!

76fe5ee9.jpg

Flat View

By the way, there is a black rubber strap gave away with the watch from VSF, while TTF does not come with a extra rubber strap.

3f157145.jpg
59fdf764.jpg

Front View

779ef38f.jpg

photos under lights

We could see clearly that the dial color of GEN is pure white, while VSF is slightly yellowish milky white, and the graininess of TTF dial is too obvious, which can be clearly distinguished by naked eyes. Therefore, relatively speaking, VSF is better, although there is a certain color difference, it is within the acceptable range.

acb4a8ea.jpg
42bade3d.jpg

Bezel View

For the overall bezel shape and edge chamfered treatment, both VSF and TTF factories have handled them very well, basically no difference from GEN.

855ab4f9.jpg
6c944033.jpg

View of the corner position of the case

In terms of the polishing of brushed lines of the case, both factories’ performance are still very good, their polishing is very delicate. In addition, we can notice that the section edge of the GEN case is not very smooth (the side lines looks a bit sharp), TTF is the same, fortunately, it does not scratch your hands when you touch. Instead, VSF polished very smooth in this part.

9238174d.jpg

86d5f360.jpg

Crystal Side View

From the side level of crystal, TTF and GEN are the same. VSF is slightly different, mainly in the narrower thickness of the upper chamfered edge.

1b2193c6.jpg
18c16d67.jpg
3ae44652.jpg
1e650f16.jpg
fda60211.jpg
095feec7.jpg

Dial Stick and Digitals View

As a classic feature design of Panerai, the skeleton dial scale does look very individual.For the number’s shape, there is no big problem of VSF and TTF. If you zoom in on the picture, there are slight flaws on the edges in some position, but the edges of GEN are not very smooth as well.

In addition, there is a small issue with VSF, the side section can be clearly seen when looking at the numbers from the front, but it is not noticeable under naked eye observation.

For the color of luminous fill, both factories are different with GEN, The grey of VSF is lighter, while the grey of TTF is darker.

c6f26104.jpg
e80c388e.jpg

Subdial View

The second hand of GEN uses a solid central axle, while VSF and TTF are skeleton. In addition, we can notice that at the tip of the second hand, both factories are flat, which is called scissors hand in our country.

Relatively speaking, in terms of the stick treatment of the small second dial, the flatness of VSF is better.

Last edited:

steve_theonewatches

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
27/6/16
da2e52d7.jpg
93e7db2f.jpg
5e3c39c6.jpg
9f0c201f.jpg
f984748d.jpg
5914f23e.jpg

Mimeograph Font View

In general, the mimeograph fonts on the dial of both factories are handled well, there is no obvious difference between good and bad in this part.

0fd47222.jpg
758e6b3d.jpg
Hands Luminous Fill View

For the luminous color of the hands, there are differences between the two factories and GEN. VSF is a bit yellowish, while TTF is a bit gray. The graininess presented by hands is still very obvious.

In addition, we can notice that the hour and minute hands of both factories are also scissor needles (that is, the tip is flat)

c3df6a19.jpg
311efcc3.jpg
9ed1b657.jpg
Hands Middle Axle View

Unlike Rolex models, Panerai's middle axle is closed. For the top of the middle axle, VSF and GEN are consistent, while TTF has flaws. The surface of TTF is completely different from GEN, it has a spiral pattern, this part should be improved, because under the naked eye, the surface texture is very clear.

94468505.jpg
3e0cde5e.jpg

Calendar Window View

For the treatment of the four corners of the window, the factories have adopted obvious rounded corners, while GEN is almost at right angles. Although there are differences between factories and GEN, in my opinion, this is not a big problem. What do you think?

In addition, by observing the actual calendar font, we can find that the font of VSF is slightly larger than GEN, while TTF is closer to GEN in size. However, VSF's font regularity is better, while the edge overflow of TTF factory's font is very serious.

ca2b0622.jpg
55865e40.jpg
214c52d6.jpg
fe4724f5.jpg
0e2beb06.jpg

Crown and Crown Guard View

For the overall shape and internal structure of the crown guard, the factories are basically consistent with GEN. However, we can observe the connection between the end of the crown guard and the case in the last two pictures, and find that GEN has adopted a horizontal corner treatment. VSF also takes this part into consideration, but the horizontal distance is a bit longer. TTF ignores the treatment of this part.

aa75f9b0.jpg
b4222483.jpg

Case Side View

The side shape of the cases from both factories are excellent, and the surface brushed lines is also in consistent with GEN, very delicate.

However, for the lugs, TTF is a bit different from GEN. Let’s look at the side of the crown first. The lugs of TTF are notched, while GEN are smooth. On the other side, the lug holes of TTF are obviously smaller.

Last edited:

steve_theonewatches

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
27/6/16
0d98ce32.jpg
6547f4b8.jpg
e8606c34.jpg

Case Back View

For the gap between the case back and case, TTF is a bit bigger, VSF is better, at least it doesn’t looks so obvious, even for physical observation, it is same like the photo.

The screws on the lugs of TTF are also different from GEN, there are clear lines on the surface.

7f178eea.jpg
e7b8cc5b.jpg
b971c4c1.jpg

2b214f27.jpg

Engraving of Case Back View

For the overall shape and depth of the engraving, the treatment of both factories is quite good, just different from the GEN in color.

d138d39c.jpg
10a7391d.jpg
833e1e20.jpg
1e2ebf26.jpg
6f17a7a7.jpg

Strap Details View

The strap color of GEN is a darker brown, while VSF and TTF are lighter. In terms of feel, the two factories are similar, but the strap of TTF is thicker.

On the printing of the shorter section of the strap, VSF and GEN are consistent, while TTF has the extra word ‘officine’. On the other side, GEN is an embossed pattern, but the two factories are not synchronize this part , and they are still embossed fonts.

9895d06d.jpg
Luminous View

Panerai's super luminous light is really good, and the luminous color of the two factories is the same as GEN.

e83344e5.jpg

03d00301.jpg
Movement View

Since we didn't open the caseback of GEN, there is no pictures of the movement. Here we will simply talk about the movements of the two factories.

As we all know, VSF was able to quickly seize this market when they launched the Panerai model because of the advantages of its movement. VSF uses a P9000 custom-made movement (modified on the Asian 7750 movement), this movement realizes the quick-adjustment function of the hour hand in the first notch, which is consistent with GEN. The whole series of VS Panerai uses the P9000 movement, the P9001 and P9010 movements are all uses the P9000 movement as basic and changing the engraving.

TTF also uses the 7750 movement, but there is no change in the function. The first notch is quick-adjust the calendar directly, which is different from GEN.

33e78bcd.jpg
8701c3e0.jpg
96f11750.jpg

Data Comparison View

Note: All measurements are in a clamped state, and there may be tolerance due to slight deviations in the position of the caliper.

Well, this is today’s post, thank you guys for browsing, if there are any mistakes, please correct me. If there is anything else I overlooked, you can put it up, and I will try my best to do it complementary and comprehensive, welcome to comment and exchange!

I will continue to bring you more detailed comparisons between replicas and GEN, which is also to help you guys to better choose your favorite replica models.

Note: Some photos deviate from the real object due to the angle of the light. The details are mainly written in text. The size of the comparison picture is relatively large. You can download it and enlarge it for comparison.

There is no perfect replica, only your favorite replica.

Steve

Telegram: u/Theonewatches_steve

WhatsApp: + 86-17081934955

Email: [email protected]

Wechat: The5711

Last edited:

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Did someone just wake up the Panerai section of RWI...?

Thanks for the amazing review and new content Steve - PLEASE keep it coming.

Reactions: Gill777 and Kup1712

KidTiger

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/4/23
HK
This is amazing, thank you! Wish we could get this for every watch ;)

BTW I noticed the rubber strap on the VSF is exactly the same as the one I got from HWF. It has a weird "C" that is cut way too wide.

Neil

3/7/12
Awesome detailed review! Time PAMs got some love again…so I know there is no definitive answer but are we saying VSF is slightly closer to the gen.?

Reactions: Gill777

KidTiger

14/4/23
HK
Awesome detailed review! Time PAMs got some love again…so I know there is no definitive answer but are we saying VSF is slightly closer to the gen.?
After all that amazing info you still have to ask? 🥴

KidTiger

14/4/23
HK
Maybe I need to re read it again..but didn’t seem like a clear better choice

For me the TTF dial looks actually awful, from the texture to the number cutouts, and the date wheel is bad too. If one is 1mm closer to gen size, or the movement replica is wrong, or whatever, I don't care, but if it's the thing you actually look at when using the watch, that's a pretty big disadvantage.

There's always going to be minor differences with even great reps, like the wrong reference number printed on the case or whatever.. But if it actually has a different textured dial or a misaligned date wheel, that would make it a no go for me.

pam63C

Supporter
Certified
12/2/23
Asia
Excellent review. VSF seems to be the go-to factory for Panerai rep.

What's next ? Can I suggest the PAM 1176 ?

Kup1712

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
20/1/21
Thanks for the review. I had the v1 vsf version and it was really nice (except for the v1 white hands)

3kllxY.jpg

Relos_Indios

Known Member
10/3/23
Asia
I've always had my eye on the PAM 1314, but was really hoping the 42mm version would also be officially released (what would have been called the PAM 1394).

Btw, the VSF strap that comes with the watch is not as good as many of the AliExpress Panerai rep straps online. The watch is a great rep, but, in this case, Ali is a better choice than what the factories send out.

locvs

Supporter
Certified
7/12/20
Germany
1314 is another great rep from VSF. V2 that is.
strap is the usual dogpoo, but that’s pretty much every leather strap out there.

steve_theonewatches

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
27/6/16
1314 is another great rep from VSF. V2 that is.
strap is the usual dogpoo, but that’s pretty much every leather strap out there.
Indeed, as you said, factories usually don't put much thought into leather straps

Reactions: Blshh

Harrytan

Horology Curious
21/7/23
Singapore
What an awesome works Steve has done. I'd say it's a good TD.

Willingness to take the time and effort to evaluate and compare products can help buyers save time and clear their minds.

This kind of spirit is rare. Thumbs up