• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAMs 1XXX - LUMINOR 1950 CASESET - VSF vs. GEN Comparison

tlander13

1/11/20
USA
Title says it all! Here's a comparison between the VSF PAM 1312 and a gen PAM 723.

The gen PAM 723 will be on the left, and the VSF PAM 1312 on the right where applicable. I can confirm via Panerai's website that the current version of PAM 1312 has slightly green lume vs. the ecru lume on my PAM 723. It also appears that the crown guard on the gen PAM 1312 does not have the slight fillet edge near the case like the PAM 723 does - this was captured in the VSF 1312, I misidentified it as a flaw the other day in my original posting. Anyway - here are the pictures! Some more to come in follow up posts.

Here are the stock images of the two models from Panerai's website for reference:
Z46dIs.png
Z46kdY.png

Z46ufJ.jpg

Z46slo.jpg

Z4672P.jpg

Z46E6W.jpg

Last edited:

whitegold

Known Member
25/7/13
Without zooming in too much it isn't far off other than the crown guard lever (I think)
Nice comparison

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

tlander13

1/11/20
USA
A few observations from when I was taking the pictures, however I am sure that my comments are rudimentary compared to those that will come from the resident PAM whisperers...
  • CG pin is polished on both, however this is not always captured in pictures due to reflections.
  • Rep's date and "L SWISS MADE L" fonts appear to be slightly fatter than gen.
  • CG engravings on the rep are noticeably fatter, gen engravings are extremely sharp in comparison.
  • Rep's CG lever has sharper edges and a fatter end.
  • I measured the thickness of the CGs, as I thought after holding them that the rep's was thicker. However I can confirm that both have the same thickness.
  • The hands are similar in size (including width) - the picture I posted yesterday just had a bad reflection.
  • The gen's sandwich dial has a greater 3D effect to it (i.e. shadows from the cutouts) whereas the rep has a bit less depth.
The above comments are extremely critical though - overall I am quite impressed by the VSF 1312. The feel of the watch compared to the gen is similarly incredible. Also - the gen's rotor is louder :)

Here are a few helpful GIFs to make comparisons ... hoping they work here, I've never done this before:

Snil

Certified
18/8/20
Nordic
Awesome comparison! I just sold my 1312 because I want to try some other PAMs but it is one sweet piece I’d recommend to anyone in to Panerais

whitegold

Known Member
25/7/13
Wow, these GIF's are really incredible
One of the best ways you could compare
Lovely piece of work, just wanted to keep looking at them

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Screwtape

granvino

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/4/11
Awesome presentation. Modding the CG lever with a dremel could probably bring it closer to gen shape. Same for the CG contour chamfered finish

Reactions: KOT1917

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
Once again I want to thank you for the comparison. Nice gen / rep photo, best thing to do to evaluate the model in the community.

All that remains is observation and analytics of what is good and what is bad, what can be changed by yourself, what the factory can do and what cannot, and what you can close your eyes to.

And yes, of course, these gifs are what takes the review to another level. Thanks for working on this!

Reactions: Snil

centrum

27/7/14
The gifs make such a clear comparison. Thank you for your input.

I see a few differences like:
- the 3 hour marker length and shape
- the shape of the crown lever inside of the crown guard

I'm surprised to hear that the rotor the gen is louder. I thought gens would have quite rotors.

I'm glad that we still have very close to gen pam reps today.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks tlander13 for this thread

The GIFs are a very good tool for comparisons. I have used them for my own comparisons, but I have never published them.
I will reconsider this matter after your success. LOL

Nice job, and of course I will include this link in the future updates of the PAM GUIDE for all models PAM 1XXX with LUMINOR 1950 caseset .

Really useful

Congrats

ALE

Last edited:

tlander13

1/11/20
USA
I was looking at Panerai's website photos, it does look like they updated the CG lever between the 723 and 1312. So I wouldn't be too quick to call the difference in shape here a "flaw" although the VSF rep looks to have sharper edges still...

One more GIF comparison:
Z4PO28.gif

Last edited:

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
I was looking at Panerai's website photos, it does look like they updated the CG lever between the 723 and 1312. So I wouldn't be too quick to call the difference in shape here a "flaw" although the VSF rep looks to have sharper edges still...

One more GIF comparison:
Z4PO28.gif

Correct, let’s hope there’s Gen vs rep from maker, otherwise I will lose my mind searching..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
I don’t think that it makes sense to evaluate it from the photo from the site. From this photo, VSF apparently made his 1312 :)