• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM111 [HWF]

Highrisk

LIFE IS GOOD
4/3/20
The land of two seas
However, thanks a lot for sharing, Highrisk ! Have you had any other factory's PAM111, or any other rep pams before, in order to hear a comparatively impressed first-hand?

Hello there. This is my first PAM. But I have tried on similar models from an AD and as a comparison the only thing I can comment on at the moment is the feel of the bracelet, the watch itself looks spot on to my newbie eyes. The dial and case looks and feel almost gen-like to me.

Edit: One other thing i noticed compared to a similar gen, the crown guard lever kind of looks and feels shorter? Not sure.

I have a VSF PAM 441 v2 on the way. Will comment again here once I receive it.

Last edited:
Reactions: KOT1917

toxoviper

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/12/11
Edit: One other thing i noticed compared to a similar gen, the crown guard lever kind of looks and feels shorter? Not sure.

Thank you for the pics! Can you take some pics of the crown guard and lever from the side? Want to see if it's recessed like the pics I saw on some vendor sites.

Reactions: Highrisk

Highrisk

LIFE IS GOOD
4/3/20
The land of two seas
However, thanks a lot for sharing, Highrisk ! Have you had any other factory's PAM111, or any other rep pams before, in order to hear a comparatively impressed first-hand?

I also noticed that when winding the watch from a dead stop, from the very first wind I can already feel it kicking back, so I can only get like 3 clicks per wind then it forces its way back a bit.
The resistance can be felt from the very first wind.
So far it kept running for 27 hours after winding it 40 times ( 3 clicks per wind).
Is this behavior normal for this movement?

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
I also noticed that when winding the watch from a dead stop, from the very first wind I can already feel it kicking back, so I can only get like 3 clicks per wind then it forces its way back a bit.
The resistance can be felt from the very first wind.
So far it kept running for 27 hours after winding it 40 times ( 3 clicks per wind).
Is this behavior normal for this movement?

Sounds OK to me, according to your description. If you wind it with the open caseback facing up, you will see the little click piece that's responsible for the click-sound and its spring forcing it back a bit, until the click-piece engages the teeth of the mainspring barrel.

Edit: With "open" caseback I meant see-through, no need to physically open it.

Last edited:

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
The specificity of the Panerai is that due to the presence of the CG, it is not so easy to count the rpm of the crown.

I didn’t count "clicks", but I know that full winding from full stop should be about 40 revolutions, and usually gives about 50+ PR hours. On my watch, it is from 48 to 56, but I guess anything above 40 is considered satisfactory for this movt.

If your watch runs 27 hours, when winding from a full stop, until reaching the "stop", when winding, then this is less than the norm, however, it is not at all a fact that there is a reason for concern.

Even so, everything that is more than a day makes it possible to operate them without problems, while the service rarely costs less than $ 100, and the A6497 itself, without engravings and decoration, is less than 30.

In general, make sure you wind the watch fully and decide what to do next. But personally, I would not change anything.

I will add, as regards the return of the crown when winding, pay attention to the travel of the gears from the reverse side, and in particular to the blocking device of the main drum gear, and you will understand what this is connected with. This is the design specifics of this movement.

aioka

10/10/21
France
If your watch runs 27 hours, when winding from a full stop, until reaching the "stop", when winding, then this is less than the norm, however, it is not at all a fact that there is a reason for concern.
Hi
With Unitas 6497, what would be the power reserve with the movement fully wound?
:)

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
Hello.
I don't know what you mean when you say "Unitas", so I'll tell you about everything.
Asian 6497-2 usually give about 50 plus hours of PR.
In my practice, an average of 55 hours.

Swiss 6497-1 must have 44 - 48 hours, 6497-2 must have 53 - 56 hours.

Reactions: toxoviper

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
Hello Pam family, i wish a happy new year to you all.
Recently the 111 bug has strike me and I understand the HW is the one to get, thus I have a couple of question, as I’m considering one from BK’s. for his mod work.
- how you compare the overall quality of the movement (regarding decoration) from noob or VS
- is the SN spring functional with the regulator or is just a deco?
sorry if this was discussed somewhere else, but a couldn’t find anything about this.

dawagner3240

Horology Curious
16/11/16
All the SN regs on the reps are essentially non functional. You can get them to appear to be proper with careful bending and proper length of micrometer screw but the metal they are using just doesn't have the tension like a genuine swan neck. It just bends to where you put it instead of actual spring

Last edited:
Reactions: Ecender

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
All the SN regs on the reps are essentially non functional. You can get them to appear to be proper with careful bending and proper length of micrometer screw but the metal they are using just doesn't have the tension like a genuine swan neck. It just bends to where you put it instead of actual spring

Thank you, I needed to ask because Ale’s sticky post was from 2013 and I wanted to know if there was an improvement about this.

Andrey_PAM

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/10/22
UA
I just don’t understand why factories save on the length of the adjusting screw.
Almost everyone has it shorter than necessary :mad:(((. F#ck.

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
I think this is not so much a saving as a lack of attention to this detail. I am ready to assume that at one moment they were made very, very much, and used everywhere, in recent years. After NOOB stopped putting this long screw in the days of V5 PAM111, everyone stopped using it. Maybe one day they will run out, and the factory will make another million screws, already with the correct length!:)

Reactions: Andrey_PAM