• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM 569 Seagull ST2555: DIY movement replacement

rezolution

Renowned Member
2/3/16
I received a KW 569 with the Seagull ST2555 non-inverted v2. Unfortunately it had a very stiff resistance upon the initial winding and lost all resistance after a few winds. It also doesn't maintain with auto wind. I have been given the option of mailing it back to China or receiving a replacement ST2555 made for the 569. I'd rather avoid the problems of USPS as well as Chinese customs. I'd also prefer to not wait months. Any thoughts on the difficulty of a straight swap of the movement? I don't have a local watch repair shop.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
If your dealer can source a decorated seagull mvmt, send it along with your broken watch to one of our trusted watchmakers. Easy enough job for a watchsmith.
If you are unexperienced working on movements you better not do the swap yourself unless you're keen on risking to damage the watch even more.

rezolution

Renowned Member
2/3/16
Got it thanks. Any thoughts on what a reasonable cost would be on the swap?

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
No idea about that.

PAM1983

I'm Pretty Popular
6/4/15
I've never manually wind a Seagull Movement ! Id advise not to do the same to the new movement

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
A new 2555 from ofrei is around $60 shipped, I believe. Labor will be a little more since the DW plate/etc needs to be swapped from the busted movement to the new one... and the jewels in the main plate make the seagull extra fun.

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
But on ofrei's site, they're listed as ty2555, but they are the exact same thing.

rezolution

Renowned Member
2/3/16
TD ended up sending me a new watch. I was considering the replacement from ofrei but add in the cost of labor and its nearly the price of a new watch. The TD agreed.

Zeinharis

I'm Pretty Popular
17/1/16
TD ended up sending me a new watch. I was considering the replacement from ofrei but add in the cost of labor and its nearly the price of a new watch. The TD agreed.

Yes, this could be another solution if the watch is still under warranty.