• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Options on bezel repair

WildlyCoyote

Do not accept unsolicited offers
6/9/22
Been a great watch so far, waiting on my “root beer” to come in. But what can I do about this? This is from JTime

Reactions: silentelephant

silentelephant

Getting To Know The Place
27/11/16
Michigan, USA
Look at the underside of the bezel and locate the hytrel ring (a rubber gasket) if it's not in there, or it's not all stretched and fucked up you can just press it back on

If you press it back on but it easily comes off again get rid of the hytrel ring in there bc it's fucked, and if it's a clean factory watch (judging by the insane amount of grease there it probably is) then follow this link

As you can see here in KJ2020's post you can replace the gasket with a piece of fishing line usually about .5mm to .7mm, clean factory bezels don't fit aftermarket or gen hytrel rings so this is your best option and it's easy. If you get a line that doesn't fit just take a pass at it with some sandpaper and try till it makes a decent fit and press it back on to the watch

Reactions: WildlyCoyote

WildlyCoyote

6/9/22
Look at the underside of the bezel and locate the hytrel ring (a rubber gasket) if it's not in there, or it's not all stretched and fucked up you can just press it back on

If you press it back on but it easily comes off again get rid of the hytrel ring in there bc it's fucked, and if it's a clean factory watch (judging by the insane amount of grease there it probably is) then follow this link

As you can see here in KJ2020's post you can replace the gasket with a piece of fishing line usually about .5mm to .7mm, clean factory bezels don't fit aftermarket or gen hytrel rings so this is your best option and it's easy. If you get a line that doesn't fit just take a pass at it with some sandpaper and try till it makes a decent fit and press it back on to the watch
Wow, thanks for the quick reply what a great ideal that is. I will try that tomorrow. It’s won’t stay popped in. I really appreciate you.

silentelephant

Getting To Know The Place
27/11/16
Michigan, USA
Wow, thanks for the quick reply what a great ideal that is. I will try that tomorrow. It’s won’t stay popped in. I really appreciate you.
No problem 👍

As an alternative you can try to just cut a piece of the existing hytrel ring out if it got stretched use a toothpick or something and resit the modified gasket into its slot and see if that helps

I linked the fishing line thing instead of saying to get an aftermarket ring or something because if it is a CF the aftermarket/gen rolex hytrel gaskets don't seem to fit (assuming it's the same as the CF Pepsi bezel)

WildlyCoyote

6/9/22
No problem 👍

As an alternative you can try to just cut a piece of the existing hytrel ring out if it got stretched use a toothpick or something and resit the modified gasket into its slot and see if that helps

I linked the fishing line thing instead of saying to get an aftermarket ring or something because if it is a CF the aftermarket/gen rolex hytrel gaskets don't seem to fit (assuming it's the same as the CF Pepsi bezel)
Ring looks good, almost sounds like when you cut a oring on a carburetor to get it to fit. It doesn’t want to come out easily by using my nails, I’ll work on it tomorrow. Yes it is a cf.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Ring looks good, almost sounds like when you cut a oring on a carburetor to get it to fit. It doesn’t want to come out easily by using my nails, I’ll work on it tomorrow. Yes it is a cf

Follow kj2020s thread to a tee and report back if you have questions.

The fishing line technique works better than rolex's design and is easier to do than you probably think.

WildlyCoyote

6/9/22
Follow kj2020s thread to a tee and report back if you have questions.

The fishing line technique works better than rolex's design and is easier to do than you probably think.
Going to take the seal out and try it this week. Need to buy some line so I have it. Glad to hear it works.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Here is what I used the 40lb test, big game line.

It's 0.61mm in diameter. Worked like a charm. If too tight just sand it a little bit.

Heat up the Insert and remove it from the bezel very carefully. This will allow you to remove the bezel should you need to make a correction. Then when the bezel functions correctly and you have it right, you can glue your insert back in and align it perfectly with the bezel on the watch.

Last edited:

WildlyCoyote

6/9/22
Went with shag Silent said started small, .61/.024 too small which I should have known. Better to be safe than Darry do not want it to get stuck. .65/.0255 will be next the try .67