• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Opinions: VS3235 and A2824

jp13abk

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/8/22
Hello all,

It has been over 1 year since I purchased my first rep: GMF DJ 36mm, a2824, 904l. I have used it since day one (not been serviced) almost every day, sometimes in rough environments, and it has given me no problems. Now looking for a second rep and I have shortlisted:
  • VSF OP, 41mm, vs3235
  • VSF OP, 36mm, vs3235
  • GMF DD, 40mm, a2836
I am uncertain about what movement I should go for. From my understanding:
  • A2836/2824 are not rolex clone movements, that tend to have better durability and are easier and cheaper to repair (mainly due to parts availability).
  • VS3235 are rolex clone movements that can accept gen part swaps but are more expensive and harder to repair (in terms of finding a watchsmith).
My take on rep watches is to use, enjoy and keep. I don't intend on working on them or modifying them (only service / repair if required). My good experience (so far) with the A2824 makes me want to stick with clone ETA movements (A2824/2836). However, I have recently read more opinions claiming that the VS3235 is perfectly reliable and a very good movement to go for ( https://www.reddit.com/r/RepTime/comments/wxu9vm ).

For those who have experience with these movements: considering the models I am looking to buy, which would you say is the better option?

Many thanks,
jp13abk

suited

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/4/23
United Kingdom
The a2824 are Asian clones of the ETA 2824. It’s a really solid movement and like you say, repairability is very simple as all watchmakers know their way around ETA movements. However the power reserve of the movements are capped at 40 hours which is not bad but Rolex movements now have a power reserve of 60-80 hours and the vs3235 gets around the same.

Both movements should last a while until you would need to get them serviced. The VSF is just a solid watch all round imo. Great movement, great crystal, dial is good. Just an all round good watch. Someone with more knowledge will be able to provide more insight but hopefully what I’ve said is slightly helpful :)

Reactions: jp13abk

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
The a2824 are Asian clones of the ETA 2824. It’s a really solid movement and like you say, repairability is very simple as all watchmakers know their way around ETA movements. However the power reserve of the movements are capped at 40 hours which is not bad but Rolex movements now have a power reserve of 60-80 hours and the vs3235 gets around the same.

Both movements should last a while until you would need to get them serviced. The VSF is just a solid watch all round imo. Great movement, great crystal, dial is good. Just an all round good watch. Someone with more knowledge will be able to provide more insight but hopefully what I’ve said is slightly helpful :)

The 2824/2836 is a reliable ETA clone movement. Experience has shown that the worst weak points are when winding up sandy (automatic) which you could easily lubricate if necessary for very little money. When it comes to repairing 2824 Rolexes, some watchmakers are not that familiar with the datewheel overlay that is glued on. A new movement would cost 50.00, a complete movement change would probably also cost approx.

I would go to the VS - the movement is rock solid and you can have it repaired if necessary, serviced, lubricated and, if necessary, replaced with a (new) VR3235 or even VR3230 (80-100 USD on Ali and 50. - the change).
The winding feeling is much nicer, I would rely on a clone work with the standards that Iwr have today.
I always do, I no longer have a watch with asia eta.

Reactions: jp13abk and suited