• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Opinionated write up Clean vs VSF vs KING DJ41

Feefo

CEO, Vaselume (TM) Corporation
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Hey guys i am looking for a dj36 due to wrist dimensions. Do you think these comparisons can be applied to the 36mm too? So vsf making the best movement, Clean the best bezel etc. ? Thank you.

Also how can i get in contact with Lucy? She seems great
The DJ36 landscape is very different, there is no clean DJ36, for example. But Vsf just issued its first 36mm. What everybody noticed quite quickly is that they use the 41mm indices, though, they are bigger than they should. But that should be an easy fix and at that point the VSF will be the best DJ36 you can buy.

Seadwellermike

Proud RWI Supporter
Banned
Certified
I have 36mm VS and GMF/JDF in hand (and have had quite a few) and yes, I find the quality comparable regardless of size.

Although the 36mm wears smaller, so if you are fearful the 41mm is too big based on other 40mm+ watches being too big, the DJ41 may still be the size for you.

A 40mm Daytona, a 40mm Sub, and a 40mm DJ all wear like different sized watches, the DJ wearing like the smallest of the examples given.

Reactions: Luigi1208

Luigi1208

Getting To Know The Place
29/11/20
Italy
The DJ36 landscape is very different, there is no clean DJ36, for example. But Vsf just issued its first 36mm. What everybody noticed quite quickly is that they use the 41mm indices, though, they are bigger than they should. But that should be an easy fix and at that point the VSF will be the best DJ36 you can buy.
Thank you for the reply. Clearly i havent done enough research yet. I knew there was a 36mm VSF and GMF but i thought Clean was an option. Also didn’t notice the oversized indexes so appreciate that.

Reactions: Feefo

Luigi1208

29/11/20
Italy
I have 36mm VS and GMF/JDF in hand (and have had quite a few) and yes, I find the quality comparable regardless of size.

Although the 36mm wears smaller, so if you are fearful the 41mm is too big based on other 40mm+ watches being too big, the DJ41 may still be the size for you.

A 40mm Daytona, a 40mm Sub, and a 40mm DJ all wear like different sized watches, the DJ wearing like the smallest of the examples given.

Thank you for the reply. I have a Sub 114060 vsf and it looks a bit too much for my wrist. The 36 choice is both esthetical (more classic and discrete) and functional since i wear gloves throughout the day at work and having a big watch is definitely uncomfortable. But i think you are right saying that case size is different depending on the model so i’ll try to wear a 41 to see how it fits. Are you satisfied with the 36 GMF? Would you go with a different factory? Thank you.

Mark1937

Respected Member
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Grazie per la risposta. Ho un Sub 114060 vsf e sembra un po' troppo per il mio polso. La scelta del 36 è sia estetica (più classica e discreta) che funzionale dato che indosso i guanti tutto il giorno al lavoro e avere un orologio grande è decisamente scomodo. Ma penso che tu abbia ragione a dire che la dimensione della cassa è diversa a seconda del modello, quindi proverò a indossare un 41 per vedere come si adatta. Sei soddisfatto del 36 GMF? Andresti con una fabbrica diversa? Grazie.
DJ41 is actually 39mm. 41 is just its name :) it's only 3mm more than the DJ36.

Reactions: Luigi1208

Mark1937

Respected Member
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Good question. I don’t think either VSF not CFv2 have any playing, nothing is evident in hand, and I currently have 2 VS and 1 CFv2 I own. I’ve also had the King and the JDF/GMF 126334.

All in all, the VS and CF v2 are the best, hands down. I prefer the CF and others prefer the VSF. For me, if modding go CFv2, if no mods are going to be done, get the VSF.

Also, VS bezel is ever so slightly smaller in diameter (outer) which may or may not be more accurate to gen. I’d need to know the gen bezel dimensions exactly to know.

I have spent a lot of time researching which bezel to use on my new franken, I have compared both the VSF and CF V2 with my gen bezel, and I can say with absolute certainty that the CF V2 bezel is 100% identical to the gen one.

Yasuni

25/10/22
Germany
I have spent a lot of time researching which bezel to use on my new franken, I have compared both the VSF and CF V2 with my gen bezel, and I can say with absolute certainty that the CF V2 bezel is 100% identical to the gen one.

So do you have a Gen bezel on that Franken DJ or is it the CF bezel?

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
For clarification:

Lucy does a great job. who knows if she is just slow as fuck or "open ups every watch and undusting the watches from factory" - we dont know.
Lucy can be contacted easyly, she is TRUETIME from the TD section.
Be aware of long waiting time.

Seadwellermike

Proud RWI Supporter
Banned
Certified
Thank you for the reply. I have a Sub 114060 vsf and it looks a bit too much for my wrist. The 36 choice is both esthetical (more classic and discrete) and functional since i wear gloves throughout the day at work and having a big watch is definitely uncomfortable. But i think you are right saying that case size is different depending on the model so i’ll try to wear a 41 to see how it fits. Are you satisfied with the 36 GMF? Would you go with a different factory? Thank you.
Negative, the36 is fat too femanine on my wrist, and 6 digit subs too blocky, the DJ41 is my fat the most perfect.

Also, I have to reiterate a thought: a 40mm Daytona, a 40mm GMT, a 40mm sub and a 41 mm DJ all wear very different. The smallest being the largest in name (the DJ41)

It’s not all about diameter, it’s lug to lug, spring bat to spring bar, crown size, case and crystal height, etc etc etc. The DJ36 FEELS tiny (looks sharp on my wife and the DD40 looks huge on her, like monstrous) the DJ 41 wears like an upper 30’s in the mm’s.

If any of that makes sense lol

Reactions: WansHilsdorf

Seadwellermike

Proud RWI Supporter
Banned
Certified

Yeah, I did this the other night with my newest VS and older VS and CFv2, and I ageee. Visually (not materially obv)

So much so that I put everything (VS movement, gen dial, VS hands, VS crown, gen crystal) all back into the CFv2 case. (Which in turn got the CF v2 bezel and gasket with the gen crystal)

And I’m more than happy. If I could have swapped tubes, it would have been done. The VS tube is a larger diameter on the male case side than the CF case opening and I lack the tap for it.

Macbook

6/10/23
Good question. I don’t think either VSF not CFv2 have any playing, nothing is evident in hand, and I currently have 2 VS and 1 CFv2 I own. I’ve also had the King and the JDF/GMF 126334.

All in all, the VS and CF v2 are the best, hands down. I prefer the CF and others prefer the VSF. For me, if modding go CFv2, if no mods are going to be done, get the VSF.

Also, VS bezel is ever so slightly smaller in diameter (outer) which may or may not be more accurate to gen. I’d need to know the gen bezel dimensions exactly to know.
Thank you for the detailed comparison, can you elaborate on what mods are suggested with the clean?

Seadwellermike

Proud RWI Supporter
Banned
Certified
Thank you for the detailed comparison, can you elaborate on what mods are suggested with the clean?
Suggested is subjective.

I can tell you what IVE DONE to MY CFv2:

Gen dial
Gen crystal
Gen hands
Gen tube and crown (in hand not installed yet)
Gen DW is in the mail
VS3235 installed.
Xing bezel

I still own the VSZ66 and Z80 watches, but haven’t pulled them out of the storage case for months and months.

I’m fortunate to own and operate a watch repair and service company, so mods are done instantly and by my own hands, making it easier for me to build something than most.

I wear the CFv2 often.

Macbook

6/10/23
Suggested is subjective.

I can tell you what IVE DONE to MY CFv2:

Gen dial
Gen crystal
Gen hands
Gen tube and crown (in hand not installed yet)
Gen DW is in the mail
VS3235 installed.
Xing bezel

I still own the VSZ66 and Z80 watches, but haven’t pulled them out of the storage case for months and months.

I’m fortunate to own and operate a watch repair and service company, so mods are done instantly and by my own hands, making it easier for me to build something than most.

I wear the CFv2 often.

Thank you so much for the reply ! thats a really extensive mods list, i guess it would cost a lot to do so , if the maximum im willing to do is change the crystal on the CF (budget limitations) , do you reckon i should just get the VSF and keep it as is?

Seadwellermike

Proud RWI Supporter
Banned
Certified
How could I possibly answer a question about your personal preferences? It’s just not something anyone could do.

I think you need to look at both, and decide which you like better. As you can tell, I’ve don’t that at length (and ARF, and EWF, and JDF/GMF, and 2 VSF and CFv1 and v2) and I’ve come to the conclusion that the CFv2 is the better watch. Thus used that as the basis for mods.

The VS movement is a better movement period. That’s not subjective, it’s fact. So I installed it in my CF.

The bone stock CFv2 watch with a Gen crystal is the watch you see in the first pic posted.

It’s basically perfect. To ME.

Gribouilly

5/11/23
France
Hello @Seadwellermike ,

Many many thanks for this perfect thread.
From your (personal) comments until the conclusion, it's really clear and it's not easy to stay neutral.

As you told us, the rehaut is the most point to compare a GEN and a replica. Do you knox if it's unfittable under the glass or is it pressed assembly ?

I'm looking for a VSF Winbledon model (with standard bezel) as we can see on this Chazingtime website and, as a couple of us, i'm not sur to receive a perfect one. But the 70h reserve is really interesting.
Perhaps purchasing a CF and change the movement could be an other solution ?

Thanks again and thanks for you comments ;)

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China
For clarification:

Lucy does a great job. who knows if she is just slow as fuck or "open ups every watch and undusting the watches from factory" - we dont know.
Lucy can be contacted easyly, she is TRUETIME from the TD section.
Be aware of long waiting time.
New members will not be happy with the long wait, but she is the best if you prefer quality. I have used Lucy for years for around 100 reps. I was never disappointed when the little brown box arrived.
Her email is 李明 <[email protected]>

Last edited:
Reactions: derjenigewelcher

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
New members will not be happy with the long wait, but she is the best if you prefer quality. I have used Lucy for years for around 100 reps. I was never disappointed when the little brown box arrived.
Her email is 李明 <[email protected]>
These days the standarts are others than she provides...we talk about 48hrs qc time for stock and 10-14 dsys shipping time