• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Onyx Datejust 16014.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Recently completed this build for a member

All raffles parts
Eta movement

Its been a while since I've had to fiddle with a DWO. It reminded me why I prefer building explorers. 😂
The sterile black dial was a bit of a nightmare to deal with , when it came to testing the dw position .....
a few headaches later...its done....and its a slick watch!!. I think I may need one myself. :love:

Thanks for looking. As always. Questions and comments are welcome

Last edited:

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
This was the inspiration for the build.

139911-1_1100x.jpg

asusundevils1971

Your Parents Warned You To Stay Away From Me.
Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
Very nice looking build. How much would you charge a fellow Canadian for the same build. Can PM me if you feel talking price here is inappropriate.

1675lover

23/7/22
I saw ur post from the other thread and I was thinking of doing the same build with a blue dial as I have a spare case
But too lazy to deal with DWO

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I saw ur post from the other thread and I was thinking of doing the same build with a blue dial as I have a spare case
But too lazy to deal with DWO
Yah they can be a bit of a nightmare!

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
That is awesome. I want to build myself the YG onyx version for quite a while now.
What are your thoughts on the dials quality and finish?
Sadly raffles does not offer the YG case for quite a while now. Anyone has an idea where to get a case that would work?

Reactions: 369mafia

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
The main issue i see on that dial is the coronet. It sits too low and has an odd shape. But maybe this can be replaced with a better one and applied a little higher? Can you tell what’s the material used on that dial? I am guessing it’s not actual onyx:) how is the printing?

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
That is awesome. I want to build myself the YG onyx version for quite a while now.
What are your thoughts on the dials quality and finish?
Sadly raffles does not offer the YG case for quite a while now. Anyone has an idea where to get a case that would work?
The dial is well made and very robust with a durable finish. which came in helpful as I had to remove the dial and hands a number of times while trying to get the dwo right. The dial being gloss black with no markers makes it a smudge and dust magnet and even with a plastic bag as protection for the dial my hand removers left marks on the dial but I was able to wipe away with deluted window cleaner and a micro fiber cloth. thankfully. otherwise it would be a hot mess.

No the dial is not 100% accurate as you had pointed out. The cornet is an odd shape and would be vastly improved with a different cornet , however moving it higher up the dial would be difficult and probably disasters if I attempted it lol
I am happy that I was able to get it finally together without any dust or smudges . its the small victories

Reactions: Karbon74

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
Thanks a lot for your answer mate! I think i will order that dial and see it for what it is, a nice budget build. And see if there are some upgrades to find, as always:)

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
Too small for my wirst but a beauty.
Maybe one day.
In my opinion there is no such thing as too small:) it’s only personal preference. If anything, maybe a watch can look to big. Too small is just a testament to a men’s confidence.
So here is a 36mm on my 20cm wrist.
If you like it, go for it!

Last edited:

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
In my opinion there is no such thing as too small:) it’s only personal preference. If anything, maybe a watch can look to big. Too small is just a testament to a men’s confidence.

that's so true
First time I put a 1016, it was unsettling especially with a leather strap. but I quickly adjusted and I can't stop wearing it now

nice build 😍

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Exactly. It does take aome adjustment but give it a week and you will wonder why you need anything more

When I build my first 34mm watch. It took some time to get over the feel of “wearing a ladies watch”. But by the end of that week it felt great. Light and classic.

In history , men greater than me wore amallwr watches and accomplished grwater feats that I a. So I can wear a 34 to the corner store. 😂👍🏼

My genuine Tudor 7909 BNGE for reference on my 7” wrist

Last edited: