• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega V2 Ploprof Review and Comparison to the V1

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
I just added some insight on the latest version of the V1 that was posted on RG by mike00. It seems that at least TrustyTime is offering and updated V1 which has a single crystal and the updated deployant. It still has the faux bezel lock and single piece case back. The faux bezel lock may be an advantage to those who use the bezel often, making it easier to manipulate, and the single Vs two piece case back is a challenge to distinguish from the two piece.

The one advantage that this version does have over the V2 is that the lume is applied directly to the bezel insert making it correct.

ze4s

Horology Curious
15/6/10
I just added some insight on the latest version of the V1 that was posted on RG by mike00. It seems that at least TrustyTime is offering and updated V1 which has a single crystal and the updated deployant. It still has the faux bezel lock and single piece case back. The faux bezel lock may be an advantage to those who use the bezel often, making it easier to manipulate, and the single Vs two piece case back is a challenge to distinguish from the two piece.

The one advantage that this version does have over the V2 is that the lume is applied directly to the bezel insert making it correct.
Its a great watch for the price.

Im getting one to use as a daily beater and to see how it wears before deciding if to get the v2 or not

MMA

5/10/10
You're a champion! Thanks for this, you just saved me $268!

I Just replaced the springs (with flint spring from small size Bic) and it works a treat!

Of note is that i only filed enough to round the corners down on the push button. This filing cannot be seen when reassembled. I cut the springs to about 2mm taller than the original ones when not compressed.

MMA

5/10/10
Hey ummm... Anyone got any other solutions for removing the insert? Can remove my V2 no probs at all via Thinbach's method (thanks again), but the V1 will not budge. There isn't even enough gap to get dental floss down the side for that method...

Any suggestions/ideas very much appreciated.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
I've done it the same way on the V1, maybe you're just too tired? :) There's a ring of double stick tape holding the insert in place. Don't give up, you can do it!

[AME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk[/AME]

MMA

5/10/10
Hehe, thanks but i think this one may have been glued in. With the watch disassembled and some serious heat applied i cannot get even the slightest movement in it. It just wont budge. It sits lower in the bezel too which is why i'm suspicious it was glued in.

I'd try soaking it in some soft solvet, but i'm trying to straight swap it to avoid a relume... I've used dental floss and a gentle sawing like action on a dssd but that wont work on this. Hmm.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Are you heating it, working it back and forth, re-heating it, working it back and forth, repeat till it comes out? Try that. If it still doesn't work, you can send it to me to play with. :)

Add: I'd be concerned about the solvent dissolving the paint on the back of the insert, not something I would do...

MMA

5/10/10
Yep, i'm applying the approach i used to removing the V2 insert. It wasn't easy either, but after some heat there was give. So i back and forthed it inbetween heating just like you suggested. Success!

Thanks for the offer! I may just take you up on after i get back from hols, and after another attempt (have a had a gut full for now hehe). I'm convinced it's glued in.

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
Good review. I actually think the watchmaker for the new PO took some advice on the V2 of this one and applied it to the new PO that is out. So we all benefit, even those of us like myself that don't buy the Ploprof watch. :)