• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Planet ocean - confusion

naeems

Horology Curious
11/10/10
Thanks for that pic :) Looks quite decent. Have you compared the replica to the real.. how identical is it? (as a %) :)

And do you change the band yourself?

D

d4m.test

Fantastic watch! I was unsure whether to get one but you've made me want one! Although I may go for the chrono version!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
This gets my vote!

OMG06003%20OMEGA%20PLANET%20OCEAN%2045.5%204750WU5%20ETA%202824%20%282%29.JPG

Just put it on a rubber strap though!

UPO1.jpg

This was mine before R2 nudged me into getting some Gen parts for her.

My advice on having the dial lumed, don't. Buy a Gen dial. If you ever want to sell it you will get most of your money back on the dial.

jonasprivate

I'm Pretty Popular
21/7/10
Thanks for that pic :) Looks quite decent. Have you compared the replica to the real.. how identical is it? (as a %) :)

And do you change the band yourself?

No i have not compared to a genuine one.
Maybe someone else can answer that.

Yes i change the band myself.

naeems

Horology Curious
11/10/10
No i have not compared to a genuine one.
Maybe someone else can answer that.

Yes i change the band myself.

How did you change the band? Is there any tool I can use?

This gets my vote!

OMG06003%20OMEGA%20PLANET%20OCEAN%2045.5%204750WU5%20ETA%202824%20%282%29.JPG

Just put it on a rubber strap though!

UPO1.jpg

This was mine before R2 nudged me into getting some Gen parts for her.

My advice on having the dial lumed, don't. Buy a Gen dial. If you ever want to sell it you will get most of your money back on the dial.

is that your UPO? How much does the gen dial cost and where do you get it from?

mpg54

Known Member
29/8/09
I have the Chrono, I got mine from HONT last year. Love the watch, but it is not perfect. If you want perfect, buy the GEN. The one thing I don't like is how easy Steel bracelets on REPs pick up Desk Dings. You'll need to invest in some polishing clothes if you sit at a Desk most of the Day. There's a real good tutorial on how to polish Brushed Steel on this forum. The nice thing is that its real easy to polish them out once you have the proper clothes. I like my Watch to look good so I polish out the Dings about 2 times a Month.

naeems

Horology Curious
11/10/10
I have the Chrono, I got mine from HONT last year. Love the watch, but it is not perfect. If you want perfect, buy the GEN. The one thing I don't like is how easy Steel bracelets on REPs pick up Desk Dings. You'll need to invest in some polishing clothes if you sit at a Desk most of the Day. There's a real good tutorial on how to polish Brushed Steel on this forum. The nice thing is that its real easy to polish them out once you have the proper clothes. I like my Watch to look good so I polish out the Dings about 2 times a Month.
How close is it to the real? have you compared it?

mpg54

Known Member
29/8/09
Close enough. When I brought it to a Watch-smith who works on GEN Omegas and had him replace the tube & crown with a GEN tube & crown I bought from Takashi. He said he was really amazed at how close it was. He had to look at the movement to be sure. Unless he was holding the GEN in the other hand it would be very hard to notice. Of course once he opened it he could tell right away. Movement had finger prints and dust/debris that you would never see in a GEN. Anyway I was more than pleased with his feedback. Again I went with the higher end REP, a Sapphire Crystal with an A7750 movement.
Do it, you won't regret, but take my advice on the Brush Steel tutorial, you can find it on RWI. Also the REP crown & tube only lasted 6 months for me. Takashi sells the GEN crown & tube, he can get you one that fits. A local Watch-smith can install it. I would wait until the REP one is worn out though.

naeems

Horology Curious
11/10/10
Close enough. When I brought it to a Watch-smith who works on GEN Omegas and had him replace the tube & crown with a GEN tube & crown I bought from Takashi. He said he was really amazed at how close it was. He had to look at the movement to be sure. Unless he was holding the GEN in the other hand it would be very hard to notice. Of course once he opened it he could tell right away. Movement had finger prints and dust/debris that you would never see in a GEN. Anyway I was more than pleased with his feedback. Again I went with the higher end REP, a Sapphire Crystal with an A7750 movement.
Do it, you won't regret, but take my advice on the Brush Steel tutorial, you can find it on RWI. Also the REP crown & tube only lasted 6 months for me. Takashi sells the GEN crown & tube, he can get you one that fits. A local Watch-smith can install it. I would wait until the REP one is worn out though.

Wow.. interesting. how much did the gen tube and crown cost including installation?

How do you guys change the bands on the watch yourself? Is there any tool kit I can buy?
I want to have both the rubber and steal Omega and change them frequently..

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Wow.. interesting. how much did the gen tube and crown cost including installation?

How do you guys change the bands on the watch yourself? Is there any tool kit I can buy?
I want to have both the rubber and steal Omega and change them frequently..

R2D4 has a Sticky at the top of the Omega section with Gen part info for the UPO.
Go to ofrei.com and look it up there.

A crown/tube swap shouldn't cost more than $20-30.

It is a PIA to change the bracelet out for the rubber strap and vice versa. :picard:

naeems

Horology Curious
11/10/10
R2D4 has a Sticky at the top of the Omega section with Gen part info for the UPO.
Go to ofrei.com and look it up there.

A crown/tube swap shouldn't cost more than $20-30.

It is a PIA to change the bracelet out for the rubber strap and vice versa. :picard:

If I buy the UPO, my conern is that itll require expensive servicing very soon after. Is this correct?

Pain in ass to swop the bands? I'll do it like once a month.. what is the tool called anyway?

Thanks alot for the help:)

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
It's hit or miss on needing servicing soon after purchase. Doesn't matter if it's a 21j, clone or Swiss movement. ;)

You need a quality springbar tool.
Offshore sells them here.

mpg54

Known Member
29/8/09
It was around 6-9 months before the tube & crown wore out. So don't worry you can address it quickly if it does happens. And the GEN tube & crown should last a long long time.
I never change the bracelet, I don't like the look of rubber anyway.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Stay away from bag12.
If the deal goes south, we can't help you.

You asked this same question here and received the same answer.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
curious to know what you guys think of this:

http://www.bag12.com/OMEGA/OMEGA_265_WATCH-446-549

I mean, how much better is the UPO selling for 300USD?

Just buy the damn $55 watch and then you can tell us how great it is. If you get a UPO for $300 you WILL get a watch that's proven to be worth $300. If you buy the $55 watch from that site you'll get a watch that's worth $55, if you're lucky.

Hundreds, if not thousands of people have come together here to help keep Noobs like you from getting ripped off. Yet you insist on going to some scam site and pissing away your money because you think you can get a better deal than what our vetted dealers can give you?

I say go for it.
:picard:

mpg54

Known Member
29/8/09
A $55 dollar watch? I thought you wanted something close to the GEN? That's gonna be a long ways off. Why not go with a Trusted Dealer on this site?